Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 04:29 AM   #1

Porsche Rental in Germany

I will be vacationing in Germany and Austria for two weeks in September. I have been online trying to find a company that rents Porsches. Has anyone had any experience with these companies or have a recommendation? I don't know if I could live with myself if I didn't put a Porsche on the Autobahn.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to subgraphic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I will be vacationing in Germany and Austria for two weeks in September. I have been online trying to find a company that rents Porsches. Has anyone had any experience with these companies or have a recommendation? I don't know if I could live with myself if I didn't put a Porsche on the Autobahn.
Bump because I need to know this as well!
subgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #3

I rented a Carrera from the Berlin airport Avis counter in 2000.

The car was $250 bucks for 24 hours, which included 200 clicks. It was a half a buck per Kilometer after that. I also bought every single piece of insurance one could get and begged for more.

$650.00 + $70 for 3/4 tank of fuel for about three hours worth of 265 Kph driving (yup, you read that right... sustained it for quite some time too).

Car rental, $600. Fuel, $70. Boyhood dream come true, priceless!

Bottom line: I don't think you have to go to a specialty company just to rent the car for the day. However, if you plan to be there a week or two and drive lots and lots of kilometers, I'd say a company that specializes in renting Porsches to rich Americans with deep pockets and no budget would certainly be the way to go.

BTW, one can rent a BMW 545i for under $150 bucks a day with unlimited mileage. It'll go real fast too, and have lots of room for luggage
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
boggtown

I will definately be doing that sometime in my life. Especialy seeing the autobahn special on tv, with a ruff 911 turbo going 212 MPH with 2 camera men, a driver and a passenger (thats what the speedo said, but how accurate would that be)
Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
bmussatti

Hey, buy a new Porsche, and then do the European Delivery option!!!!

Like this:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/eventsandracing-europeandelivery/
Old 07-17-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
olly986

randall is right, too expensive and not much luggage space in 911
they are other options for autobahn rides, otherwise try maybe a german car mag web site, i know that they are quite a few companies in England for exotics and i would say they more than likely have the same in Germany, probably cheaper than avis or hertz
Old 07-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #7

I know for sure that as of 2004 the "Avis" at the Frankfurt Airport has Porsches. I searched for a Porsche rental stateside before my visit with no luck. I called a ton of rental places and could only find BMWs. So I ended up renting a Z4--- which when I went to pick it up was parked a few slots down from at least 10 911s and Boxsters. Next time.

Regardless of the price--- it will be worth it. Good luck. Have a safe trip and good time.

PS I ended up being very pleased with the Z4.
Onad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #8

Porsche Rental in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I picked up my Boxster S in Germany and had it shipped back to Canada. Best three week vacation ever. The autoban was full of Porshes of all kinds. Before I left I checked out Avis at the Frankfurt airport and they have 911 to rent but they do not show up on the internet. You have to call them in Germany to reserve. Plan to return next spring, rent a 911 and tour northern France. A friend was also in Germany for world cup and found numerous rental companies for Porsche. One is Auto Europe. Check out the online and then best to call them.
Good luck.
airboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:30 AM   #9

Bmus, already went down that road. I was trying to convince my wife to get to let me trade in my '05 for a '06 Carrera white with TIP (so she could drive it too) and have the European Delivery option. As you can see, I wasn't much of a salesman. I am leaving the Army in a year so there are a few minor things like, oh, jobs for one thing that she is worried about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hey, buy a new Porsche, and then do the European Delivery option!!!!

Like this:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/eventsandracing-europeandelivery/
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:42 AM   #10

Ahh the Autobahn. My brother-in-law works for Chrysler Europe and once when I visited, he borrowed a Viper for the day. We blew through Belgium, Germany and Holland at very unsafe speeds. That car was grossly uncivilized and nothing I would want to own, but for a day of reckless endangerment, there really is nothing better. We unfortunately couldn’t find anything to race. A BMW and one V12 Mercedes tried us, but they were absolutely no match, even accelerating from 120. I did see a 911 Turbo, but by the time I caught up to him, he was exiting. Of course the next day when I was driving a Jeep Cherokee, I got passed by a pink Lamborghini. Bah, bad timing…

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote