986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Total respray cost (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67672)

heliguy 07-10-2017 02:23 PM

Total respray cost

I know it's quite a range, but what could I expect to pay for a quality respray in a different color? This would include the door jambs, inside both trunks, fuel door and the roll bar.

Deserion 07-10-2017 02:37 PM

I'd ballpark $6-8k, easily.

itsnotanova 07-10-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 543607)
I'd ballpark $6-8k, easily.

Right! And the choice of color can affect the cost a lot too

thstone 07-11-2017 07:26 AM

It depends.

Really. I'm not just saying that.

Cars can be painted cheaply, moderately, or expensively and the end result will vary accordingly.

A lot of the cost in any paint job is the preparation and body work prior to painting. Skimp on the prep and the cost can come down dramatically - as will the finished appearance and how long it will last.

Do you want all of the little dents and dings removed? Are those little ripples down the panels acceptable? Is there ANY rust? How long to you want the paint to last? Is it ok if it starts to bubble or peel a bit in 5 years or does it have to look like OEM for the next 20 years? Etc, etc. You get the idea.

With that being said, here are my thoughts:
o Show car quality that will last forever - probably >$10K
o Like new car appearance and quality at a highly reputable shop - probably $8K-$10K
o Looks new at first but may not last as long - probably around $6K
o Let's get it done on a budget so it looks nice and I understand that you're going to have to cut some corners - probably $5K
o Just spray the damn thing and I don't care what corners you have to cut; just make it look better than it does today - probably $3K-$4K
o Your buddy knows a guy who works out of an alley downtown. Its not really a paint/body shop but he can do it for you on a weekend when no one is around - probably $2K

Based on the original post, I'd say that you're looking at close to $10K with the color change.

Flavor 987S 07-11-2017 09:26 AM

Wrap it in a different color? Maybe under $5.

patssle 07-11-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 543713)

I got my 914 wrapped for 2k. I'm sure a Boxster can be done under 5k easily.

Disaster 07-12-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 543713)

But be aware wraps are temporary. Usually good for 4-6 years. It depends, of course, on how much you drive it.

mikeclimbs 07-12-2017 08:48 AM

I recently got a quote to wrap my boxster. It was 3k.

I also researched Plastidip it was around $1000.

I think Plastidip lasts around 2 years and a wrap depending on the quality 4 years.

Mike

Disaster 07-12-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeclimbs (Post 543818)
I recently got a quote to wrap my boxster. It was 3k.

I also researched Plastidip it was around $1000.

I think Plastidip lasts around 2 years and a wrap depending on the quality 4 years.

Mike

I've heard from several body shops wraps can be a bear to remove after a couple years. In this article the wrap adhesive destroyed the paint on the plastic trim pieces. I've never had any damage from Plastidip.

Vinyl Wrap Removal

san rensho 07-12-2017 11:28 AM

Not to be a curmudgeon but you know that your car will be worth much less after a color change. I wouldn't do it.

Sell your car and get the same year in the color you want. You wil never recover a $10k paint job when you sell.

rexcramer 07-12-2017 12:27 PM

It is amazing how much quality automotive paint has become. You can easily spend $1500.00 just for the materials.

heliguy 07-12-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 543833)
Not to be a curmudgeon but you know that your car will be worth much less after a color change. I wouldn't do it.

Sell your car and get the same year in the color you want. You wil never recover a $10k paint job when you sell.

I understand, but I have never expected to recover the cost of the car when I bought it 9 years ago or any of the mods I have put into the car since then. Its not a new 991 Turbo S, it's a 14 year old Boxster S.

heliguy 07-12-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 543833)

I understand, but I have never expected to recover the cost of the car when I bought it 9 years ago or any of the mods I have put into the car since then. Its not a new 991 Turbo S, it's a 14 year old Boxster S. I don't think I will ever recover the $10K that I put into the new engine, clutch, wheel bearings, etc. either.

heliguy 07-12-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 543695)
It depends.

Really. I'm not just saying that.

Cars can be painted cheaply, moderately, or expensively and the end result will vary accordingly.

A lot of the cost in any paint job is the preparation and body work prior to painting. Skimp on the prep and the cost can come down dramatically - as will the finished appearance and how long it will last.

Do you want all of the little dents and dings removed? Are those little ripples down the panels acceptable? Is there ANY rust? How long to you want the paint to last? Is it ok if it starts to bubble or peel a bit in 5 years or does it have to look like OEM for the next 20 years? Etc, etc. You get the idea.

With that being said, here are my thoughts:
o Show car quality that will last forever - probably >$10K
o Like new car appearance and quality at a highly reputable shop - probably $8K-$10K
o Looks new at first but may not last as long - probably around $6K
o Let's get it done on a budget so it looks nice and I understand that you're going to have to cut some corners - probably $5K
o Just spray the damn thing and I don't care what corners you have to cut; just make it look better than it does today - probably $3K-$4K
o Your buddy knows a guy who works out of an alley downtown. Its not really a paint/body shop but he can do it for you on a weekend when no one is around - probably $2K

Based on the original post, I'd say that you're looking at close to $10K with the color change.

Thanks, this was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

Boxtaboy 07-12-2017 01:00 PM

What color you gonna change it to? :)