Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

I test drove a 718.

I've been thinking about what I might get next if and when I upgrade from my manual 986 2.7. The plan is maybe a 987.2 S, or possibly a 981 base boxster. Anyway, apart from Porsche's costing way too much in Australia, the other problem is rarity of newer manual cars, the vast majority are PDK. So I thought what the hell, I'll test drive a PDK just to see if I might like it. I visited my local Porsche dealer to explain what I'm looking and organised a test drive in a base 718 Cayman PDK. I think the dealer was maybe hoping I'd like the car enough to consider the stretch for a new car. The cheapest base Cayman costs $128K AUD, so you can see we're not as lucky as you guys in the rest of the world. But if I'd really loved it there might have been a chance.

So, the test drive.
The good. The car I have to say, looks great. The interior is a million miles ahead of the 986 in terms of quality and gadgets, but I think the 986 still holds up reasonably well all things considered. Mine still doesn't have any rattles or squeaks so I can't complain. I expected the Cayman to feel like a bigger car than the 986, but I didn't really notice any difference with the external dimensions. I've not driven a 981, but I really felt right at home in the 718 straight away. The handling is great as you'd expect, and it felt instantly familiar chucking it round a few bends. The ride and handling is very similar to the 986, but with a bit less body roll. I expect the ultimate cornering speeds would be higher, but on the road it all felt very similar. Performance wise, it's obviously a bit of a step up but not so much that you feel it's chalk and cheese. I was sort of expecting to be blown away but wasn't. However, on the road it's all you'd ever need, probably the 718 S is a bit of a waste of time. They've done a good job of making the turbo in the 718 feel more linear and progressive than turbos do usually. There's more torque lower down, but not so much that you really think oh yeah this is a turbo.
Next, the bad.
The engine. It pulls well, but good grief the sound sucks big time. It sounds like it's straining, it's got a sort worn out Beetle undertone to it. My wife asked it had enough oil in it. It's at it's best when cruising along slowly where you don't hear it. It really discourages you from getting revs up, because it sounds so harsh. I don't know if it's just the clash with the rest of the car and expectation, but I actually think it's one of the worst sounding 4 cylinder engines I've ever heard, a lot worse than my wife's Polo GTi for example. It's worse than I was expecting, and for me really detracts from the experience. Maybe the sports exhaust would help, but I doubt it.
The PDK. I'm so glad I tried this gearbox, because it means I don't need to waste my time looking at PDK boxsters from now on. The gear changes are stupidly fast, so that acceleration really is a constant thing rather than the series of surges you get in a manual. in auto mode I was a bit surprised about the lag before kick down if you suddenly accelerated, but it changes very smoothly otherwise. For me, the paddles are a bit of a waste of time. The worst thing is that they are quite small so if you are changing gear while going round a tight bend the paddle can be in the wrong place compared to your hands and you have to look for them. Very annoying. You wouldn't want to be change gear going fast round bends but in normal driving I found it a problem. If I had a PDK, I'd probably just leave it in auto mode, which is a lot less involving to drive than a manual. Maybe if it was a daily driver and you had heavy traffic to negotiate it might be good, but for me, it's a definite no.
So to summarise, for me the 718 is a potentially great car spoilt by the engine. The manual gearbox is an option, and I'd definitely have that if forced to buy a 718, but I'm absolutely sure I never will. Ideally I'll be able to find a manual 981S that I can afford and keep it forever, or until Porsche come to their senses

Old 07-08-2017, 01:08 AM   #2

I forgot to say, if the only choice was between the 718 and my 986, then I'd be keeping my 986 because it's more fun. The 986 is a seriously underrated drivers car IMHO.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks for the write up! I have not driven one, but I have heard one, and that was enough for me If I were to get a newer vintage it would have to be a 981, the last of the flat sixes and it would have to be manual.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #4

I test drove a 718S PDK almost a year ago a feel about it pretty much the same. The acceleration of the S is impressive but it too at times had transmission lag. The sport exhaust this car had didn't help with the sound. Great car seriously let down by the engine. I'd only consider a manual 981
89 944 S2
78 911SC

Last edited by Porsche9; 07-08-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Great review, thanks for sharing your insight!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
I am No. 1348

Garage
I hope you realize with the PDK, even the TIP for that matter, when you are cornering, you can slap the accelerator and it will downshift for you automatically. It will not lurch forward, but will smoothly downshift for you.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #7

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
I hope you realize with the PDK, even the TIP for that matter, when you are cornering, you can slap the accelerator and it will downshift for you automatically. It will not lurch forward, but will smoothly downshift for you.

Not only that it learns the way you drive... so if you have somebody just driving around town it will drive like a Honda if you drive it like a bat out of hell it will drive like a racecar
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm sure it gets better as you get used to it, but for me I think it would be too uninvolving overall, so I'd always go for a manual, at least as long as my left leg still works
Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #9

What should Porsche do next?

Thanks for the feedback everybody, appreciated.

I was wondering what everyone thinks, or would like Porsche to do next with their Boxster/Cayman engines?

If they want to continue using forced induction, my preference would be for supercharging because you don't ruin the exhaust sound. I'm not interested in pumping fake engine noises via speakers back into the cabin, so my preference would be for maybe a Supercharged 2.5 flat six, or something along those lines. :dance:
Old 07-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #10

Garage
I test drove a 718.

I wish they'd do the 3.0
From the 911 without the turbos and mix it with an electric component. Sounds like a packaging nightmare though and for right now heavy.

Or for the government to replace the income tax with a carbon tax so we can drive whatever the heck we want and companies can produce whatever the heck they want. World still gets saved in the end. And bro trucks get hit worse than anyone else lol.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I wish they'd do the 3.0
From the 911 without the turbos and mix it with an electric component. Sounds like a packaging nightmare though and for right now heavy.

Or for the government to replace the income tax with a carbon tax so we can drive whatever the heck we want and companies can produce whatever the heck they want. World still gets saved in the end. And bro trucks get hit worse than anyone else lol.
That sounds like a mini 918, I guess it would be a bit out of the Boxster price range 😊
Pominoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pominoz View Post
That sounds like a mini 918, I guess it would be a bit out of the Boxster price range

The panamera 4 e hybrid is sold at a 10k premium to the base car. A somewhat similar markup on the 718 would leave the car around or under the 911 price point. Not too bad to get a classic driving experience whilst saving the world and having instant torque.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #13

To the OP: consider the 981. My 6spd was miles above the 987S it replaced in every way, imo. As much as I loved my 987, when I took the 981 on a test drive, the decision was clear for me. I haven't driven a 718, but most reviews mention the sound as a big drawback. Plus, 981s are in the sweet spot of new/depreciation curve as we speak.

Also, I test drove only 6spds when shopping for my 981. I refused to test a PDK, because I didn't want to like it. I then had a PDK as a week-long loaner... It's an INCREDIBLE box--intuitive, rapid, instant and far more talented than me. I was almost sad to swap back to a manual (and this from a lifelong, die-hard manual fan).

Last edited by Boxster_S_girl; 07-10-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Boxster_S_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
I am No. 1348

Garage
I actually think some of the 718 S exhaust videos don't sound half bad. Perhaps it doesn't sound / resonate as good in the cabin because of the lacking low frequencies, but from the outside it really doesn't sound as bad as people claim it does.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
I actually think some of the 718 S exhaust videos don't sound half bad. Perhaps it doesn't sound / resonate as good in the cabin because of the lacking low frequencies, but from the outside it really doesn't sound as bad as people claim it does.
Listen to one in person. Personally, I was not impressed, but everyone is different
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster_S_girl View Post
? . . .Also, I test drove only 6spds when shopping for my 981. I refused to test a PDK, because I didn't want to like it. I then had a PDK as a week-long loaner... It's an INCREDIBLE box--intuitive, rapid, instant and far more talented than me. I was almost sad to swap back to a manual (and this from a lifelong, die-hard manual fan).
Me too. Started in the 60s with '3 on the tree', 4 speeds with my Mustangs, five and six speed manuals followed (M3, various Porsches). I can heel and toe with the best of them, and I love my anachronistic 986 550 SE 6 speed for the nostalgia and skill -but- my wife's S5 with the 7 speed S-tronic (7 spd DCS) absolutely kills it. The DCS shifts are beyond any human capability and the programming in 'sport - dynamic' mode is impeccable. Couple this with launch control and well, it is no contest. The major thing for me is that the dual clutch seqeuntial car is still so engaging to drive. On the track you're always 9-3 wheel position and the paddles are 'right there'. The closet thing to a DCS is shifting my r1100s bike without clutching. Impossible in a traditional manual transmission car.

When I started looking for my new toy car, I was really looking for a 2009+ Boxster with PDK. When I had the opportunity to buy a 986 550 SE in great shape, I went for it and I'm a happy camper. But, the 7 spd DCS transmission was what put my wife's 330 hp s5 cab on par acceleration wise with my supercharged, 400 hp XKR 4.2 liter v8. DCS cars with the appropriate programming are pretty much killer performers.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 07-11-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #17

I'm happy I'm not in the market for a replacement for my 03 Boxster S just yet so I don't need to decide between MT and PDK. My brain tells me I don't miss manual crank starting, mechanical brakes, manual timing advance and a fuel pump handle sticking out of the dashboard, but I like the stick and am enjoying learning to drive it better at HPDE's. On the other hand I witnessed the awesomeness of PDK from the passenger seat of my instructor's 991 GT3 at my last HPDE. So I have plenty of time to ponder this theoretical decision. Since I want a used 981 Cayman S next, it may come down to what's for sale when I finally decide to buy.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #18

After being behind a brand new PDK 911 carrera 4 GTS the other day for about an hour or so I can definitely say they are a very quick car but the sound was muted by the turbos, it sounded nice and hollow like a 911 should at low revs but lost a bit of something up top which surprised me.

At least the PDK paddles are on the steering wheel, a lot of cars have the paddles on the column which is ridiculous.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #19
I am No. 1348

Garage
I find the 718 a seductress; those beautiful lines, aggressive styling, sneaky power, plush interior, big beautiful butt. Sub-5 second 0-60 times, all the latest tech.

Then just when you think she's seduced you in to her bosom, she roars and it only comes out as a squeak.

So frustrating as she could be the perfect partner!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:29 AM   #20

Quote:
If it's idling and you're standing behind it you can think, well maybe it's not too bad. Once you're inside driving, especially if you get the revs up, that's when it sounds really quite nasty.

The other thing about the new engine is it does change the character of the Boxster/Cayman quite a bit. The N/A engines really reward you when you use the gears to keep the revs in the power band 4k and up. With the 718, it really doesn't make that much difference, so there's less to do, and less reward for doing so. Maybe the 718 is a better track day weapon, if you just want better lap times, but for driving pleasure it's a big step back I think. It's such a shame because everything else about it is great. :ah: