View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #16
Oldcarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster_S_girl View Post
? . . .Also, I test drove only 6spds when shopping for my 981. I refused to test a PDK, because I didn't want to like it. I then had a PDK as a week-long loaner... It's an INCREDIBLE box--intuitive, rapid, instant and far more talented than me. I was almost sad to swap back to a manual (and this from a lifelong, die-hard manual fan).
Me too. Started in the 60s with '3 on the tree', 4 speeds with my Mustangs, five and six speed manuals followed (M3, various Porsches). I can heel and toe with the best of them, and I love my anachronistic 986 550 SE 6 speed for the nostalgia and skill -but- my wife's S5 with the 7 speed S-tronic (7 spd DCS) absolutely kills it. The DCS shifts are beyond any human capability and the programming in 'sport - dynamic' mode is impeccable. Couple this with launch control and well, it is no contest. The major thing for me is that the dual clutch seqeuntial car is still so engaging to drive. On the track you're always 9-3 wheel position and the paddles are 'right there'. The closet thing to a DCS is shifting my r1100s bike without clutching. Impossible in a traditional manual transmission car.

When I started looking for my new toy car, I was really looking for a 2009+ Boxster with PDK. When I had the opportunity to buy a 986 550 SE in great shape, I went for it and I'm a happy camper. But, the 7 spd DCS transmission was what put my wife's 330 hp s5 cab on par acceleration wise with my supercharged, 400 hp XKR 4.2 liter v8. DCS cars with the appropriate programming are pretty much killer performers.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 07-11-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote