Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #1

Newbie Questions

I am seriously considering buying an MY07 Boxster (w/new engine).

Sorry for the newbie questions but from the POV of being a roadster, are there are pitfalls you may have encountered (e.g., poor visibility with top up)? Is is suitable as a daily driver?

Also, other than the Porshe mystique (and I have owne two in the past so I know) ... are the new ones truly a cut above, for example, the Z4M roadster or anything else in that class?

Thank You in advance

chows4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #2

You have to really decide for yourself, but I know that anytime I get in another 'similar' vehicle, then get back in the Boxster, I appreciate it all over again. It's the intangibles that really set it apart - that and the incredible performance and feel. There are plenty of cars faster in a straight line, but few faster in a corner, and what's more fun?

Plenty of Boxster owners use it as a daily driver - it's definitely comfortable enough, gets good freeway mpg (27mpg on the S, for example - I imagine the base is more like 29mpg), and is a fun car to toss around when you get bored on the commute.

Personally I'd go for an '06 as you will be able to essentially steal one with the new one having a 3.4l motor, and EVERYONE who has driven the 3.4l motor in the Cayman who owns a 3.2l motor says that they expected to notice much more of a difference than they did, and in fact, it showed little difference if at all. Save 10k - 15k at LEAST and get the 3.2l - if you really want more power, there are always tricks you can do, but saving that kind of jack is priceless.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
It all depends on what you are going for in your roadster. It all depends,do you want speed? reliability? sportiness? You have to narrow down what you want and then we will let you know how it stacks up to the rest.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
It all depends on what you are going for in your roadster. It all depends,do you want speed? reliability? sportiness? You have to narrow down what you want and then we will let you know how it stacks up to the rest.
I want a sports car ... 2 seater ... just not sure if I'm thrilled about the ragtop ...

We have owned both a supercharged MR2, MR2 Turbo, 944, Fiat X1/9 ... notice three mid-engined cars. T-top or targas are a pain to take off and stash away. On the other hand, not sure since the wife is always "cold". hehe.

We've always usually had one two-seat sports car ... the "twisties"!
chows4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by chows4us
I want a sports car ... 2 seater ... just not sure if I'm thrilled about the ragtop ...
We've always usually had one two-seat sports car ... the "twisties"!
If "twisties" are what you want,look no further. The Boxster can hang and beat some Ferraris in that category. I havent driven any better handling car. Besides the curves of a Boxster beat any other roadster out there by far.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
boggtown

you shouldnt look at it as a number of seats issue cause id know id kill for a 911(im only 4-8 more years away, lol) and it has 4 seats. Its all about your budget though.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:39 AM   #7
1JB

I wrestled with the roadster, coupe, ZM4 issue for several months and after coming back to the '06 Boxster S time and again finally bought one. The visibility is fine with the top up though you have to get used to it. Care of the top has been no problem at all, there's simply no comparison to having the top down. It changes my perspective and enjoyment of life. I was set on a Cayman S and drove it and the Boxster S several times. I concur with the recommendation to get an '06 Boxster S as you will not notice a differeince with the 3.4 and vario cam plus unless you track the car. The 3.2 is a very refined engine with no bugs. The ZM4 really is a different ride altogether and BMWs have lost their cache. They're just everywhere. You won't see many Boxster S', particularly '06s. The Cayman S took a lot of sales. Just drive everything you're interested in. There really is no substitute for a Porsche. If you can find an '06 with what you want on it jump on it. I would not look for many options beyond the Bose premium sound, windstop, 6 cd changer, bi xenon and heated seats. The rest really aren't necessary imo though you can get caught up in the desire to get them. Anyway my 2@s, good luck in your search.

1JB is offline   Reply With Quote