Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #1

I need a tip. Exhaust, that is.

Hello Boxsters and Boxsterettes,

I find that I am getting a 2004 S muffler that I hope
will lend some aural enhancement to my 2001 Boxster,
which currently has all the exhaust excitement of a
Buick.

But it will not have the tip with it.

And since the '01 muffler has a non-removeable
tip, I need one.

Do any of you kind hearted souls out there in
Boxsterland have one sitting around gathering
dust?

Any style is fine with me.

And I am in the Houston area.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Best,

- Mark

Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #2

I have a 987 base tip. I don't know if it will work for you, but PM me if you're interested.

I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping, but you must name your first born child SD987.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
boggtown

Yes I have a stock 986 tip. pay shipping and its yours, PM me. The tips are welded on to our mufflers but I got a grinder and got it off. Then I got a black chrome wide tip (in pic) and cut it so it had the same contour of the stock one and had it welded on. (the tip is in the shade but its shiny in the sun)
Old 07-17-2006, 05:25 AM   #4
KronixSpeed

Heyyyy ya why is this? My 2002 boxster exhaust tips are welded to the exhaust. I so would like to rip off the stock tip, as it now is old and black. but it is welded to the exhaust.

Is it difficult to grind off......how do i do this, and special tools needed or something i can find at the local hardware shop, as far as grinding away at the welding on the tips to the exhaust.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
boggtown

Alright. Here is what I did. I used a dremel with the re-enforced (fiber glass) cut off wheels. I also went through 20 heavy duty cut off wheels so Id recomend the re-enforced ones. First thing you do is buy a new tip (it will be whatever you want, but remember you will be cutting it so unless it becomes duals right at the end it wont work, you'll see in the pic), then you cut off the existing tip on the muffler. There are 4 welds (2 inside the tip closest to the outside and 2 on the underside of the tip to the actual muffler). Id recommend cutting the inside ones first because they are the easiest, then just go to town cutting away at the line of weld. You will know when you got everything(on your first side) when it is easily movable... like you can pull the side away from the muffler, there are like 2 layers... so you might think your done, but keep cutting untill you can see air between the 2 pieces of metal. Same for the other side and it should just slide off. Now hold it close to the tip you bought and free hand the curve and cut your line (this is where I ran out of re-enforced wheels and used 20 "heavy duty" ones). My tip went on snug enough that I drove to the muffler shop with no problems and had it welded on. My muffler guy welded it from the inside so it has 3 little spots on the outside of the tip where the heat messed up the finish(one on bottom, then 2 sides, hardly noticeable untill you get under the car). Id rate the difficulty a 4 out of 10, it will take some time depending on your grinder(dont worry if you cut holes in your muffler, the guy will just weld them up when you get the tip on)
Old 07-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
KronixSpeed

hey boggtown, thanks thats very easy to do. i've been dying to remove my old crappy looking tip. dont know why they even welded the tips to the exhaust.

i told myself that i would never put an aftermarket exhaust on this car. i have had many different exhaust systems on other cars, and they just don't do it for me, unless your 18 and want the loudest car on the road.

and was very upset when i saw those welds on the tips. because i was going to have to put an exhaust just to change the tips...which really sucked..far too much money for an annoying sound.....

what i really want out of an exhaust system is that BMW M5 idle engine sound.....the car roars in neutral, and thats what i want........not a cheap ass exhaust system that roars when i gas it at 4000rpms.

thanks for the help, this shall be my next project. i'll post a pic when i get it done........now i have to find a tip that i can afford or splurge and get the one i really like out of the porsche factory accessories....but it costs $450 for a dam tip...
Old 07-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
boggtown

I just got a $70 tip(I am tight with the dealer so I got it for 40). Ya seriously, I dont want to pay $1000 for a muffler that provides minimal improvement. Its all because Porsche had to make the crossovers inside a single muffler. I couldnt stand the tip so I knew I had to replace it. My only advice is a 1 inch bypass pipe, people give it a good review and its DIY if your fine with bending a little pipe and cutting holes, ive never heard this setup in person though. Or if I had lots of money I would by some valves so I could bypass the whole muffler with the turn of a knob, or find a good middle ground. Maybe someday.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm
Old 07-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
boggtown

Does anyone know if those valves would make the CEL go on, or any other light?