Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
More of a truck guy

Front Hood won't open (sometimes) - Saved my manual release cable

I have a crazy, intermittent problem with the opening of my front hood. SOMETIMES, when I press the button on my remote OR the switch on the driver's side by the seat, the front hood won't pop up. It sometimes sounds like the mechanism is trying to work, but it doesn't release, even if I apply upward pressure. Other times, it works just fine. I am not convinced the mechanism is bad, because sometimes it pops up normal.

The rear trunk works fine and has never given me trouble.

I think it has something to do with the alarm system. Because sometimes, when I try to open it via remote or the switch, I get two quick "beeps" from the horn, and the red light next to the "lock" button on the dash illuminates. So when the red light is lit, I know it isn't going to work.

I also think it has something to do whether or not I try to open the hood, when the vehicle is locked.

Anybody experience this type of behavior?

OH....and for those of you that haven't relocated the manual release cable behind the tow hook opening...shame on you!!! Best decision I ever made. Mine was located behind the passenger side head light. It is soooooooooooooo easy to remove the headlight and reposition the cable.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #2

Mine was a faulty actuator/latch
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
More of a truck guy

Nicecar-did yours act as I described mine or differently?
Old 03-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #4

yes, If I recall correctly the symptoms were the same until it completely failed including the intermittent alarm.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
Porschephile

Sticky latch

This has just started happening for me. Fob or switch inside doesn't pop the hood. I cursed all day. Went back later tonight and tried it again with the car turned on and it worked. Battery on the trickle charger now. Thinking it might be related to low juice in the battery. What was your fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
yes, If I recall correctly the symptoms were the same until it completely failed including the intermittent alarm.