Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #1

Operating the top while the car is in motion

I received the July edition of Panorama in the mail today.

Did anyone see this on page 43 :

http://www.wilhelmy-it.com/

( navigate to smartTOP 986 for Porsche Boxster 986 )

Anyone have any experience with this ?

I could not open the top while moving due to the "Boxster Chop", but it would be nice to have the option to close the top at slow speeds.

$259 price point is a little high.

Thoughts ? Would this damage the roof on my 99 ?

NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If I can remember correctly you should be able to bend a pin back in the relay for the top that makes the car think that the handbrake is always pulled,thus allowing you to operate the top at any speed.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
bmussatti

I have never done it with my top, and probably never will. I'm not in that much of a hurry. It lowers/raises in about 10 seconds.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
boggtown

even if you tricked it to think its always pulled, you still cant really move and use the top. just pull the ebrake 1 click (not really engaging the ebrake but the light will go on) and try to move and use the top... it wont, unless your at like 0 then kinda roll to 3 miles per hour, but then it stops again.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #5

I read some where that the 05 Boxster has a change so that the top can be operated at slow speeds. I can't remember what the speed was, possibly as much as 15mph.
crzn427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:57 PM   #6

I have one of the smart top relays. The thing that I like about it is, you can don't have to hold the button anymore. Just hit it once and it will open or close by itself. It is also nice to be able to close the top, if you are still rolling to a stop. Also if you order it through renntech, it is only like $200.
blackkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:27 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzn427
I read some where that the 05 Boxster has a change so that the top can be operated at slow speeds. I can't remember what the speed was, possibly as much as 15mph.

Up to 30 MPH without wind.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:47 AM   #8

Hi,

Anyway you slice it, operating the Top in motion puts some amount of extra stress on the Top. In other words, while it may not damage it, it certainly isn't helpful either.

Life is becoming too stressful for many, so take the time to run the Top while the Car is stationary and use the 10-12 seconds to BREATHE !!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkatt
I have one of the smart top relays. The thing that I like about it is, you can don't have to hold the button anymore. Just hit it once and it will open or close by itself. It is also nice to be able to close the top, if you are still rolling to a stop. Also if you order it through renntech, it is only like $200.
I have no desire to put the top up or down while moving, but the idea is tempting purely because of the one push up and down.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
1JB

The 2006 Boxser S can raise or lower the top at speeds up to 31mph. I've done it several times without problem. Once as the rain started coming down I got just over 31 and it stopped closing which was a bit of a scare but started again as soon as I got below the threshold again.
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #11

Garage
not for the faint hearted the hack to lower your top is by removing the top control unit and either break or tape over pin #18 on your relay....you will need however to raise your emergency handbrake one or two clicks (enough to light up the brake indicator).....beware there is no speed limiter, top should not operated at speeds over 25mph....there is anothe hack to by pass the emergency brake thing, It's just a little more elaborate....The reason I like it is because living in the tropics we get surprised by unexpected showers and many times gets me with my top down....it always helps to be able to cover up when traffic slows down and not pull-over to stop pull the emerg. brake and get soaked.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #12

Just curious. Have any of you folks looking to get your top to go down while in motion read about how my brother-in-law put my top down while he was in motion?

Here are the cliff notes...$1,700 in parts, bodywork and paint. I did the mechanical labor myself. My suggestion? Pull over.

Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote