Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #1

P0300, P0305, P0306 Misfires

Well I just finished installing a new drive shaft, oil change and air filter change. Took the car out for a 10 minute test drive and all was good. Parked the car in the garage, then a couple hours later, decided to drive it to get a carwash. 1/2 mile from home, the car stalled waiting to turn left at a light. Then I restarted it and the engine ran very rough with the CEL flashing. I turned left and pulled over, shut the engine down. Pulled the code with Dashcommand and got:

P0300, 0305, 0306 misfires detected.

So I walked back home, waited for an hour, and took the truck back to see if it would start. It did, but ran rough again, started making a funny tick noise. Shut it down.

Can this be related to the oil change or the driveshaft replacement? I would think not.

Things that come to mind are:

MAF, coils, O2 sensor, maybe camshaft/crankshaft sensor.

One detail about the oil change: I let the oil drain for about 5 days while I was waiting fore the oil and filter. Could that have drained the tensioners to the point of skipping a tooth on the camshaft chain? I did prefill the oil filter housing with oil prior to installation.

Man, I tell you, it seems like it never ends with issues. I have just recently replaced the alternator, the power steering pump, drive axle now this? I just hope the engine is not blown from oil starvation or similar.

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

You have a simple misfire on cylinders 5 & 6, most likely plug or coil pack related. Nothing major, just a misfire.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:21 AM   #3
Project Addicted

Cylinder 5 & 6 misfires.

OBDII diagnostics. Trouble codes description for PORSCHE
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #4

Did you by chance wash the engine? It doesn't take much water to create a misfire.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:34 AM   #5

Garage
I live in the NE and usually get one misfire event per summer. I have a Durametric, clear the code and continue driving. One of these days I will get around to replacing coil packs.