Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

Soft Top Mechanism

Hi all,

This is my first post for a car that I don't even pick up until next weekend but I saw and drive the car today, agreed a number with the seller and will collect it next weekend. I can't wait!

Its a '98 Boxster with just over 50k miles on it, typical parking lot bumps and bruises but the seller noted the top has some problems, apparently a shop tried to force it down manually while doing some work on the car.

I'm totally guessing but will imagine that there are some gears in the mechanism that were forced through a few "extra" teeth. Has anyone on the forum dealt with this before?

I'll be ordering the Bentley manual tonight!

Thanks for any help that you can provide, it would be fun to have the top down next weekend!
Steve

dogzbody1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:55 AM   #2

Would need to find out more about what's wrong with it, but there's a geared transmission on each side driven by a single motor. On the old type transmissions it's possible for the gears to run past the end of their travel and 'come off' the drive, might be as simple as disconnecting the cables that drive the gears from the motor and running them backwards with a hand drill until they pick up the gears again... or it could be a lot more difficult... all depends on what's up really.

You could start by reading through some of the info here to get a better idea of how it works...

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement
Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Repair - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

...then add more info when you bring it home.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #3

Thank you!
I'll have a go with the drill when I get it home, in the meantime I'll review the threads you provided.
Thanks very much!
Steve
Old 07-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

Hi Oldskool
I collected the car today. The top seems very stuck, the metal door behind the top (clamshell?) won't budge. Here's what I noticed:
When you hit the button the put the top down you get some very loud banging and it seems like it wants to move but it doesn't.
Before I tried this the electic windows worked fine, now nothing (I can hear a click in the door).
I noticed the two cables with ball ends were hanging loose.
Next Steps
I pulled the curtain away and I think the next step is to pull the other back sockets off to release the clamshell, or is it to try and open the clamshell by using a drill on the two cables?
The seller noted a switch was broken and pointed to the top frame near the windshield, could that be the problem? (It feels like a bigger issue. The top though is in very nice condition.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated!
Thanks
Steve
Racine, WI
Old 07-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Very possibly the one plastic gear in each of the 2 transmissions has broken. These can be replaced by new ones available from Pelican. Do a search here for a diy.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #6

Howdy,

OK, so...

>> Before I tried this the electic windows worked fine, now nothing (I can hear a click in the door).

This is probably because the car now thinks that the top is half open, check if you've got a top open light on the dash? This will probably be because of the switch in the top latch if the seller pointed that out, you could try sticking your finger in there (where the lever arm on the latch catches into the hole above the screen) and closing the switch with your finger to see if the light goes out and the windows will work then. The switch in there can go, can replace it pretty easily or just add some padding to the switch as a temp fix so it activates. There's 2 other switches that can tell the car the top is not closed and prevent the windows working, one's on top of the top motor under the clamshell, and one's hidden under the round joint where the top meets the body behind your drivers left shoulder, but we'll assume they are probably ok for now...

>>> I noticed the two cables with ball ends were hanging loose.

Not a biggie, they just put tension on the back of the top and prevent it banging around, won't be part of the issue for now.

So what I'd do next is first check all the major parts and then disconnect them so you can get into that area without breaking anything further...

1) Standing outside the car just to the rear of the door, look down the gap between the car and top and you should be able to see a plastic balljoint on each side, they look like this...

First check they are connected both sides and not cracked. These connect at the balljoint end to the top and at the other end to the transmission, and drive the top movement. If you have the toolkit you should have a long bar like a big screwdriver (if not juse use a big screwdriver). Put this down the gap and lever the balljoints off towards the outside of the car (opposite to shown in the diagram above). with them off on both sides the top should move freely by hand.

2) From inside the car, reach back and unclip the clamshell arms at the pivots so you can open it manually. Look a the thread here, http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30176-%2Apop-pop-%2A-went-my-top.html post #11 has picks and post #20 has instructions. With that done you should be able to move the clamshell up and out of the way by hand. The easiest thing to do with it if you're working in this area for a while is unscrew the 4 screws underneath on each side and just remove it from the arms.

At this point you can just screw it all and go with a manual top if you want

But now everything's disconnected and running the motor shouldn't break anything, the next step would be to try unclipping the cables from the motor and slowly running each one to see if you can get the transmission to turn (ie that the boomerang shaped arm that the clamshell and balljoints join on to). If there's no movement on one or both then you'd want to replace it/them. If they appear to turn ok, go through each of the parts in turn and see if you can see anything that looks wrong...

* motor runs, drives cables both sides?
* cables from motor to transmission look ok? (these can be damaged, frayed, particularly the early ones, easy to replace and cheap)
* Transmission turns arm ok? (possible the plastic drives inside have been cracked or just driven past their end positions... if driven you might be able to get them back by running with the drill, if cracked just replace the whole drive with a second hand replacement)
* clamshell arms connected ok, no clips missing etc?
* top pushrod not bent/cracked? (happens, easy to replace)
* pushrod balljoints connected/not cracked? (designed to crack before other more important things break, so happens pretty easy, cheap and easy to replace)

....there's not really a lot of major parts so it's got to be one of them.

Last edited by oldskool73; 07-01-2017 at 10:59 PM.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:37 AM   #7

Thank you so, so much. The car is totally new to me as is the forum so thank you for helping me find other relevant threads as well as taking the time to provide such clear and comprehensive advice.
I'll report back at the end of the day.
Thanks again
Steve
Old 07-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Hi Oldskool
Your were right on the money about the switch for the windows. I couldn't reach the ball sockets so Undid the clips, though I undid the wrong clips first (now I know better). All of the ball sockets were in the right places and look OK (not cracked) so I think it may well be the transmissions are either broken or out of synch, I will try to wind the cables tomorrow with a drill if it looks OK to do that without the clips in place (ordering some in the morning).
This is all very much more complex than my TR6, but it is fun to learn a new car and the different ways that engineers solved the same problem - even if 30 years apart.
More to follow
Old 07-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #9

Adjusting or repairing the soft top transmission can be quite complicated & expensive. There are Threads showing how to simply convert to a manual top.
Before you start I suggest you find some good DIY articles (Pelican ). The motor is so powerful that if you get the timing slightly off, you'll break things.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #10

Thanks all for the advice

I followed the instruction received to this point and it has served me well. The right top transmission was totally locked up. I removed it from the car and dismantled it, I found it had brass gears inside rather than plastic so it has been repaired or upgraded at some point, it seems the gears weren't oriented, synched or clocked correctly on installation (not sure of the correct terminology) allowing the big gear to run off the end and prevent further movement.

I destroyed the clips in the effort to remove them (I took off the wrong two first so I need four, I noted another thread where to find them but ask if all four are the same size? They certainly look it). When I receive the clips I'll be able to try again, in the meantime I'll search for advice on setting the top and clocking the transmissions etc. before putting the drive cables back and hitting the button.

Until then there are plenty of other jobs to do after being parked for 8 years.

Thank you all!
Steve