Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #1

2000 Boxster S Pre/Post Purchase Maintenance

Hello,
I am brand new to this forum and will be picking up a 48,000 mile S this coming weekend. the car is beautiful and the seller has been very forthcoming with everything he knows about the car. It has been owned by an old man who had bought it for his wife. Now that she has passed on, he has no use for the car. I was hoping you all could provide your opinion and insight to what I should do immediately when I have the car.

The car has not been driven much in the last couple years. only about 500 a year for the past three.

IMS has not been done yet, and it is within the engine numbers with the single row bearing. Should I have a shop retrofit it immediately, or wait until I can use my lift at home this coming winter to do it myself? If I can I would like saving a bit of money, but I also do not want to risk this engine. What do you think?

Anything else you all can think of would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

sebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #2

I think it depends on what has been done based on time, not mileage, on this car.

I bought my '02 S with 68k 3 years ago. Prior to my ownership (in the prior 4 years/9k miles), it had the front motor mount, alternator, 60k service, left half shaft, driver's window regulator, and a couple of other things like new tires.

When I purchased it, the RMS was leaking, the water pump was leaking, it was due for a coolant flush, and was wearing the front tires unevenly.

I had the LN single row pro installed along with a new RMS, clutch, dual mass flywheel, AOS, and the Gbox 2nd gear popout prevention kit. I also had a very well known shop perform a suspension refresh, replacing any worn parts (both front track arms, LR track arm and control arm, etc) along with new Bilsteins and strut hardware.

I've since had the LF wheel bearing replaced, cleaned the front radiators, installed new tires, flushed the brake fluid, and had the plug tubes replaced.

Car drives very well now and--more important for me--is reliable.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
I am No. 1348

Garage
Lot's of great info on this site and many threads on pre-purchase.

Check out this thread first:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14685-thinking-buying-boxster-must-read.html

Congratulations on your purchase!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Welcome to the forum and 986 ownership

I am not a certified IMS expert, but here's my advice.
  1. Don't Panic.
  2. If you find that you are are panicking, have the car flat-bedded to the nearest independent Porsche professional for an LN IMS pro or Solution. Seriously, these are great 'driver's cars' and if you are scared to drive it, fix it now.
  3. Take an oil sample and send it for an oil analysis. After receiving the results, refer to #1 or #2 as needed.
  4. Change the oil and filter, check your tires for wear and age
  5. If you have not had a pre-purchase inspection done (PPI), consider a post purchase inspection. There is a lot to learn about these cars if you plan to DIY maintenance.
  6. Drive it hard, have fun, consider joining the PCA,

Post a picture. We all love pictures of Boxsters.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #5

What is the month and year of manufacture. If it's in 99 then you likely have a dual row, which I would not replace. Where did You getthe info that your vin number means you have a single row?

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #6

Thanks for the great responses!

So far it has had a pre purchase inspection done, but the mechanic who did it knows the person selling the car, so i will take everything he says with a grain of salt. I do know that he replaced the oil separator just in case.

The reason I have bought this car is because of the great deal and also the fact that the owner has gone above and beyond to get the car ready and answer all of my questions. He is even waxing the car for me today.

Who would I send the oil to for an analysis? Unfortunately he already did an oil change before putting the car up for sale, but I have a 600 mile drive back home so I can take a sample afterwards.

Also, is LN Engineering the company everyone feels most comfortable about for the IMS? RMS is also not leaking or misting at all on the car.

I actually am already a PCA member, as my father has had Porsches for a very long time including his 1981 911 SC that he has had since his late 20s in Switzerland and his 944 Turbo that he bought when he moved to California

I will post pictures soon!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #7

san rensho,
Here is the Pelican Parts article that I found with the serial numbers. Mine was manufactured in 2000 as well.

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement and Upgrade (IMS) - 986 Boxster (1997-04) - 987 Boxster (2005-06)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas View Post
Who would I send the oil to for an analysis?...
This is the most common one I have heard of: Blackstone Labs
Post a new thread with the question if you want to hear of more options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas View Post
Also, is LN Engineering the company everyone feels most comfortable about for the IMS? ...
Do Not Start a new IMS thread. With a simple search, you can enjoy hours (days maybe) of information, stories of personal tragedy, insults, scorn, and wit. All I will advise is that the LN IMS solution is the best and costs the most, and I am not inclined to put it in my cars.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #9

Thank you very much 78F350 that helps a ton.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

san Rensho, it was a Pelican Parts article.

This is what it is called :
Boxster Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement and Upgrade (IMS)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #11

In addition to all of the other suggestions, be sure to have a shop with a Durametric or PIWIS check the camshaft deviations.

Sounds like a great little car. Congrats!
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #12

Sebas, It reads like you may not be up for the complex work these cars sometimes require? If so, Suggest you first find a local ,competent, honest Indie. Without one, you may regret the purchase? This is not a car to give to anyone unfamiliar with them imho.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #13

I shouldn't have any issues maintaining the car, as I have always done my own work. I am just looking for specific starting points to look at since I have little time until I get the car. I don't have a problem doing much of anything.

Thank you for all the help!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
In addition to all of the other suggestions, be sure to have a shop with a Durametric or PIWIS check the camshaft deviations.

Sounds like a great little car. Congrats!
Thanks for the suggestion! I will make sure to look into that
Old 06-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #15
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Welcome and congrats. Reach out to your local PCA. They will be a wealth of resources. If you are going to do your own wrenching, consider picking up a Bentley manual and/or the 101 Projects for your Boxster. Plus Pelican Parts has a huge DIY Tech section. Safe travels.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:16 AM   #16

Thank you! I will continue to be very much in contact with the Schonesland Region PCA Thank you for all the well wishes!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:56 AM   #17

I'm afraid that a single oil analysis won't tell you much. Only when done each time the oil is changed will you learn about trends in engine wear. Any single sample WILL contain some metal....ALL engines wear and as they do, trace metals gets deposited (or suspended) in the oil. So either start doing regular a analysis or just save your money and forget a single analysis. I'd be more inclined to change the oil slightly more often and forget the analysis .... up to u. Since literally drive by an "old lady" my guess is that the car is sweet...so just drive it, have fun with it and fix it when needed.....but mostly have fun with it.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:14 AM   #18

I'd be very wary of that car as it's well known that these cars like to be driven. If it's done very little mileage over the last few years be prepared to spend as things wear out.

This is me speaking from experience as my car was the same way. Once i'd replaced quite a bit of stuff underneath I have what is a great driving car now.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #19

yes I have heard that these cars like to be driven rather than parked. So I will have to get driving! haha. Also I always change my oil every 5000 but I may do even less with this one. I know Porsche recommended 15000 but I think we can all agree that might be a bit of a stretch.

I appreciate the input on the oil analysis, maybe I will send it in when I change the oil the first time and just do it every time I change it that way I have a running baseline.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #20

There is something about reading something on the net that causes people to believe.

Your car could have a replacement motor or if a change over year motor, any of two versions of the IMS. Those engine serial number lists have provided nasty and expensive surprises and unless your mechanic has a use for the wrong kind that doesn't match your engine and can't be returned, check with the transmission off before ordering the needed kit.

LN has sold more than 10k IMS kits, and offers tools and instructions that many shops have used.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote