Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

Intermittent top problem

I have a 2001 Boxster S and I just started having intermittent top problems. Sometimes the top will not go down and when you get it down it will not go up. Sometimes it works good other times not.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of anyone who has?

I have only had the car for about a month and this is the first problem I have had.

Thanks for any advice.

David

DSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Check Pelican Parts DIY tech section and search the forum for top micro-switch problems. This should help you get started.

Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #3

Primary culprits for top not moving is..
1. Parking brake micro switch.
2. micro switches in the top latch mechanism in the center above your windshield.

If you go to Pedro's site, there is a way to bypass the parking brake switch as its kind of a pain to replace (but very DYI and inexpensive).

Next time top is up but inoperative. See if your windows drop a bit when you unlatch the top.
If yes, the latch microswitch is most likely OK. If no, the latch microswitch is bad or at least needs cleaning.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys. I think I have the problem fixed, it appears to be the e-brake microswitch.
DSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

Just be aware that the microswitch under the Parking Brake mechanism is very tedious to reach/replace. Console really has to come out. Better try the violent Pedro fix first ! If that fails ,try to fin a 'while you are in there' jib to justify the time/effort ?That microswitch has been upgraded(black) the old ones were white. I would give you the link to the part on Pelican but their site is not working for me - again & again . Sunset Porsche have it - that is where I bought mine because of the Pelican site issues:-).
Hope this helps you.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote