Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 AM   #21
Side Porsche

I had this problem with the magnetic switch. I thought it was directly related to the wooo noise because they happened at the same time. I bought a new neck and everything and then when looking to replace it saw the little seat it went in and saw the wire hanging down.

That little switch caused me all kinds of problems. It made my car hard to fill up, hard to start, and flooded it once. It even made the AOS throw a code when it flooded.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipstien View Post
I had this problem with the magnetic switch. I thought it was directly related to the wooo noise because they happened at the same time. I bought a new neck and everything and then when looking to replace it saw the little seat it went in and saw the wire hanging down.

That little switch caused me all kinds of problems. It made my car hard to fill up, hard to start, and flooded it once. It even made the AOS throw a code when it flooded.
If I had known, I might have ordered a new reed switch and installed it along with the filler valve to head off any future issues. At the moment, I can't seem to find a part number for the little bugger. Did you replace yours?

UPDATE: I may have found the part number: 996 613 224 01 (looks like around $20 from Pelican). Not sure how to install -- assume it's a splice.

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 07-17-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #23

QUESTION: Has anyone needed to replace vent line 996 201 255 07 (#3 below)? If so, what were the symptoms?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #24
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Anyway, we did a test drive and the woo-hoo is still there. It's extremely intermittent, totally independent of throttle position. It almost seems like it has something to do with the way air flows over the car. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's a hood adjustment thing, or if I have a weatherstripping issue somewhere. I've replaced just about every damn component on the evap system, so now I'm grasping at straws...
You can try taping all the seams of the bodywork on the front of the car with duct tape. See if the noise goes away, and if it does, remove one piece of tape at a time until the noise comes back. Viola! You've found the culprit (hopefully).

The nice thing is that it is cheap to try that, tape is cheap. If it doesn't work, then you aren't out too much.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #25

UPDATE: the noise has nothing to do with any of the bodywork. It's definitely the infamous woo - woo from the fuel filler. We made an ice cream run last night (Frosty Freeze! It's a tradition here in Newport...) and the ghost in the machine was as loud as ever.

I'm trying to understand how this evap system works to help in troubleshooting. Here's what I think I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that the DME controls when the venting of the carbon canister occurs -- I think I read somewhere that the first attempt is around 250 seconds after engine start. When venting is commanded, the regeneration valve under the intake manifold will open along with the valve controlling the carbon canister, thus allowing vacuum pressure to vent fuel vapors from the canister into the intake. Additionally, another valve opens that allows fresh air to enter the canister and refresh the carbon. After a purge cycle is complete, these valves will then close until the DME commands another purge. Later this evening, after an adult beverage, I'm going to attempt to determine which valve does what.

Anyway, here's what I think is happening: the first (and loudest) woo-woos occur just a few minutes after we're rolling down the road. They then occur very intermittently every few minutes thereafter. They become quieter as time goes on. My guess is that one of the aforementioned valves doesn't close or seat properly at the end of a purge cycle, and as the cycle repeats, the valve starts to free up and seats a bit better, reducing the noise.

Let me know if I'm on the right track here, and if you folks have any suggestions as to what to try next. I'm all ears!

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 07-18-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #26

Like I said, this is going to drive you crazy!!

Maybe your car has one of these?

Woo woo
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #27

Anyone replaced 996 201 231 01 Valve housing?

I asked about the blowing bottle noise issue on the PCA tech forum and someone answered that it was probably the valve housing in the front right fender: 996 201 231 01. This part is the housing for the two valves I replaced earlier this spring to try and resolve the issue. I know one of the valves controls flow to/from the carbon canister.

Apparently, this valve housing was a known issue and a TSB for 996 models several years ago. Of course, the part retails for around $500.

So...before I empty my wallet, is there any forum experience regarding this part? Any idea what exactly could fail in the housing that could cause the noise (rubber seal, etc.)? It looks like one of the two lines leads to the grommet opening in the fuel filler door, so my hunch is that the housing has failed in such a way that the associated valve is unable to properly seal this line.

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 08-03-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #28

H Need for Speed

Any update to your problem? Curious if you were able to fix this issue. thx
Mikeynoclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #29

My 03S makes the noise at 3000rpm. I just try to not stay set at that rpm..
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 04:03 AM   #30

Need For Speed thanks for all the info you provided us.

I have the same problem but noise goes away when opening fuel cap, did you resolve this problem and if so may you share the solution with us please.

Thanks
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual

Last edited by Franco; 07-13-2023 at 06:03 AM.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 04:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
I asked about the blowing bottle noise issue on the PCA tech forum and someone answered that it was probably the valve housing in the front right fender: 996 201 231 01. This part is the housing for the two valves I replaced earlier this spring to try and resolve the issue. I know one of the valves controls flow to/from the carbon canister.

Apparently, this valve housing was a known issue and a TSB for 996 models several years ago. Of course, the part retails for around $500.

So...before I empty my wallet, is there any forum experience regarding this part? Any idea what exactly could fail in the housing that could cause the noise (rubber seal, etc.)? It looks like one of the two lines leads to the grommet opening in the fuel filler door, so my hunch is that the housing has failed in such a way that the associated valve is unable to properly seal this line.

Need For Speed thanks for all the info you provided us.

I have the same problem and was wandering if you resolved this problem and if so may you share the solution with us please.

Thanks
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:23 AM   #32

Post Deleted

Last edited by Lowski; 07-13-2023 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Realized my post wasn't relevant to Franco's 1997
Lowski is offline   Reply With Quote