Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Overheating issue

A few weeks ago coming back on vacation (Gettysburg), in very hot weather, I got stuck in a traffic jam.

Car started overheating, and to make a long story short, I got towed to a nearby Porsche dealer and they ended up replacing get the coolant tank and drive belt.

I was 230 miles from home, so didn't have a lot of options.

After the repairs, drove home fine with no problems. Have driven it (2004 Boxster S) back and forth to work a few times (100 miles round trip) with no issues.

Today on my way home again got stuck in traffic - not as hot as a few weeks ago though.

Coolant temp started going up, would get up over 200 then back down to 180ish. Did that a few times. Also got up to 250 and the light came on, then back down. Some vapor and coolant smell too.

Managed to make it home.

Coolant level is now very low (not sure how low), but it never went fully overheating.

I don't think it's the tank again, but something is either leaking coolant out or air in.

I checked my coolant cap after reading some postsort - and it looks like and older number but it's blue:
996 106 447 01

Could it simply be the cap ? Maybe got a band coolant tank again? Anything else to check?

I'm going to get some coolant and fill it up and then let it run and see what happens. But suggestions to trouble shoot would be appreciated.

soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Could be the cap, the newest is 04; or it could merely be the car heat cycling and burping out air introduced while the coolant tank was replaced.
I had a bit of trapped air after doing my coolant tank, and just drove around for a week with the bail lifted on the top of the tank. No problems since.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #3

Garage
How long ago did you clean the radiators?
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
Hate to say it, but check the oil. Way too often, when overheated the M96 cracks a cylinder head and you get intermix. I really hope this is not your situation.
If it is, you can gets the heads done without getting into the bottom end. And, if you are getting heads repaired, get them ported.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #5

Will check oil in the morning, along with the cap and see about the radiators too.

Will post back later tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1966 View Post
Will check oil in the morning, along with the cap and see about the radiators too.

Will post back later tomorrow.
Checked oul, looks OK (didn't see any foam or coolant).

Tried filling up coolant. 2 gallons went in no problem, on 3rd it started leaking somewhere - not in trunk but over the engine and down onto the ground in the middle of the car underheath.

Stopped after a bit (and I stopped pouring).

Hoping a blown hose or connection off the new coolant expansion tank and not the tank itself.

Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #7

I'm wondering if yor radiator fans are working.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #8

Garage
Maybe take off the engine cover to have a look for coolant on top of the engine. There is an oil cooler with o-ring seals that have been known to leak.

I haven't done mine yet but do a thread search and you will get some info. If you are handy with a wrench I think it is a fairly straight forward diy.

Good luck finding the culprit.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #9

Finished lawn and now taking a look at car. Of course now it starts raining. So will see what I can do between showers.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #10

Take it back to the dealer that did the work. they either misdiagnosed the problem or botched the coolant tank replacement.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Take it back to the dealer that did the work. they either misdiagnosed the problem or botched the coolant tank replacement.
It's 230 miles away (and 3 states). I already contacted them, asked me to let them know what the problem is and we wI'll go from there.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #12

So - found the issue. At least I'm pretty sure this is the issue.

One of the hoses is disconnected. Unfortunately, looks like a piece / part may be missing because the two ends of the hose in this pic do not go together - image is attached.

Anyone know what part may be missing or how I can get these 2 hoses connected again (I dont think just removing the remaining black part in the other end of the hose and finding a straight pipe connector would work).

Attached Images

Old 06-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #13

And looking into it more, that black plastic part appears to have something broken off. There was a "button" on it - I pressed it and part of the black piece came off to reveal just a regular looking black plastic barbed hose connector:

I am going to just connect the two ends of the hose using that barbed connector and the hose clamps and see what happens.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #14

Garage
That is/was the purge/bleed quick disconnect from the oil/water exchanger to the coolant tank that has failed. The barbed piece is inside the other hose. I would not re use that fitting since it has already failed once. Of course the proper repair would be to replace the fitting using the correct part. However in the interim you can get a 1/4 or 3/16" brass barbed connector (take the fitting to compare) at auto parts or Lowes etc and join together. You will then need to properly purge the system of air.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
That is/was the purge/bleed quick disconnect from the oil/water exchanger to the coolant tank that has failed. The barbed piece is inside the other hose. I would not re use that fitting since it has already failed once. Of course the proper repair would be to replace the fitting using the correct part. However in the interim you can get a 1/4 or 3/16" brass barbed connector (take the fitting to compare) at auto parts or Lowes etc and join together. You will then need to properly purge the system of air.
I reached the same conclusion when I tried using that same piece. Fished the broken end out of the other hose. On way to get a brass hose connector and some hose clamps now.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #16

Garage
Be sure to cut ~ 3/4" off each hose to get rid of the previously stretched ends.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #17

It's fixed -or at least I think it is. I replaced the broken plastic pice with a brass, barbed 3/8" connector and used some new hose clamps. Was able to fill coolant, then let car run and it rwzched 180 degrees,took for a short spin and back home.

Will let it cool off and top off coolant tomorrow - left bleeder valve up to get air out, then will run it again.

Thanks everyone - assistance was much appreciated