Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #1

Best OBD

Hi,

Does anybody have any recommendations for best OBD for 986 and 997

Apart from normal diagnostics there are two specific tasks I would like to perform:

1. Reset Airbag light, check problem is what body shop told me the was, (I'm not sure they are correct and they caused the problem)
2. Undertake Cruise and OBC upgrade. I think this needs a scanner which can reset original order codes.

If the scanner that will perform the airbag test is significantly cheeper then I might not do the upgrade job.

I saw on youtube a demonstration of the
Autel MD802 Maxidiag Elite Full System and Live Data Multifunctional Scan Tool

Is this any good?

Many thanks

Ian

Aviator912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #2

I have a Durametric and it can definitely reset the airbag light. Pretty sure it's what I used when I added the OBC stalk. I think for the cruise control changes you'll need a PIWIS or a visit to the dealer to make a donation (others will chime in).

I've never had an Autel, but others on here seem to like it.

You might want to get a copy of the 101 Projects book (order it from Pelican Parts - the founder is the one who wrote the book). It details what you need to do to add the OBC and cruise. I think the information is also on Pelican's DIY section, but having the book is a lot handier.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:57 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Not familiar with the Autotel, but a Durametric will allow you to reset the airbag light and enable the OBC. I am not sure if you can enable the cruise control with the Enthusiast version of the Durametric. Most cheaper readers will not be able to reset a safety light like the airbag.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

Thanks, have the 101 projects book. Anybody have any views on other OBD readers ?
Aviator912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I have the Autel MD 802. It's a good tool for diagnostics and resetting codes/modules. I have reset airbag faults with it. As far as I know it does not change factory settings such as cruise or OBC.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

Leave an old or cheapie HF OBD11 reader in the car to check those surprise codes that occur when far from home. And a cheat sheet of the Code definitions.
In future I think we'll all be using something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3OI0C4YAYGKPF&colid=1J8X1XZSYY0W7

Last edited by Gelbster; 05-29-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #7

Garage
Autel md 802

Just returned the icarsoft por ii. I have airbag light on but w/plugged into diagnostic port only got message about no communicatuin w/ecu?
I have also been looking @ autel md 802, hope it works on my 986, 2004 boxster s?!

STRANGEPOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reset obd airbag