Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Impeccable Service Then Sat. Concerns?

Looking at a 2001 Boxster S with 102K miles. Car was serviced regularly at a Porsche dealership on schedule, including a 30K, 60K and 90K service. Oil change at 100K. This last service was 2012 when the ownership changed. New owner only drove about 2K miles over the last 5 years. Has a new soft top. Claims IMS bearing was changed, waiting on proof .

The car is only $7,500. What would be your concerns with it having been well serviced, than sat? How wrong can I go for $7,500 given the history. I know, get a PPI, but pending that....

ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

you answered your own questions: Get a PPI and the IMS documentation, or walk away.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
you answered your own questions: Get a PPI and the IMS documentation, or walk away.
But is a car that has been sitting for 4-5 years worth even considering? Sitting is not good either and a PPI won't reveal everything anyways.

Last edited by ExplorerLyon; 05-26-2017 at 12:14 PM.
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #4

We have seen them sit longer than that and be fine, all depends what was done before storage.

And a PPI is your last chance to avoid a disaster when buying one of these cars, a good one will catch a lot of stuff...............
Old 05-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
We have seen them sit longer than that and be fine, all depends what was done before storage.

And a PPI is your last chance to avoid a disaster when buying one of these cars, a good one will catch a lot of stuff...............
JFP's advice is absolutely solid, as it always is, so please get the PPI, as I did before my purchase.

Also, as I discovered with my lightly driven 2000 base, mileage is meaningless when it comes to components made of rubber. My box has 69,000 miles, and the suspension bushings and motor mount were all pretty much shot. Whether the car was driven frequently or not at all, anything made of rubber will need attention. I would also get a reading on the camshaft deviation values from reliable test equipment. From my experience, worn cam chain pads may be as significant a hazard as the IMS bearing...along with the water pump.

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote