Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2017, 05:33 AM   #1

Ignition Key

Wonder if anybody can help

I have just been to collect my 2001 Boxster from a body shop. The ignition key was working fine when I left it with them, but now isn't...

There are now a number of problems, the key is stiff to put in the lock, the metal disc the guides the key rotates ie has become disconnected to whatever it was connected to before, and very oddly the spring that turns the key back after starting position is now the other way round, ie you have to turn the key against the spring to pull the key out and there is no return on from starter position.

The body shop say they didn't do anything with this mechanism but I can't see why the spring would now operate the other way round.

The electrical part works fine, its just the mechanical part that is causing problems

Any ideas?

Aviator912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #2

Ignition switch

Sounds like you need a new ignition switch. Inexpensive part, but a PITA to change. Not recommended if you're at all claustrophobic (or have large hands)!

There are many threads, for example:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html
stanigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #3

Yes I was reading up on that,. On other cars I have had the spring mechanism is in the electrical part, if that has broken it might explain the odd way its working. The actual key goes in and come out ok, its just the spring and the silver cover that appear to be damaged.???
Aviator912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pull the ignition switch off and see if the key turns freely. If it does, you have your answer
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

Yes, the spring mechanism is in the Ignition switch, so it the key doesn't spring back correctly I'd say 99% chance that you need a new ignition switch. Before I replaced mine, it wasn't springing back correctly either. When I pulled the old ignition switch, I found that the plastic housing was actually cracked--pretty fragile part. After replacement, all is well

stanigu is offline   Reply With Quote