Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #1

replacing battery

hi guys, have anyone replace the battery in your car key before? i just gotten my
replace at the dealer and it cost me about $200! they not only change the battery,
infact they change the whole key. just yesterday my wife's key is dead too and i was
wondering have anyone of you did it yourself? FYI when i change my battery; the dealer needed 2 of my keys because they needed to "sing" the security code of the 2 keys to the car even though they only change one key. thanks!

ivan loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #2

I need to, but I keep forgetting to buy another one. They are just CR2032 batteries. A very common watch battery that should cost less than $5.
blackkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #3

yup//

A simple $5 Energizer battery available at most places that sell batteries will suffice, just "pop" open the key and replace the battery...

this does not take mroe than 5 min.
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
bmussatti

This is why Singapore is such an expensive city to live in!!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
olly986

Ivan they saw you coming!!

it take a while to change the whole key as they usually will have to order the matching key, then cut it to shape , then map it to your car, i had this done because when i bought my car the second key was missing but the selling garage paid for it and it totalled 180 euros, as for the second key be careful when changing the battery, you need to snap the key back the right way or you can damage it, in short put it back together carefully making sure the plastic lugs fit snuggly (it actually feels like you are fitting it the less logical way!!!) I know it is a Porsche!!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
Ivan they saw you coming!!

it take a while to change the whole key as they usually will have to order the matching key, then cut it to shape , then map it to your car, i had this done because when i bought my car the second key was missing but the selling garage paid for it and it totalled 180 euros, as for the second key be careful when changing the battery, you need to snap the key back the right way or you can damage it, in short put it back together carefully making sure the plastic lugs fit snuggly (it actually feels like you are fitting it the less logical way!!!) I know it is a Porsche!!

Not a period or complete sentence in the whole message!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #7

Thank guys! yes singapore is indeed a very expensive place to live. the current price for a 987 boxster(2.7) is USD$ 156,000! now you know why i am thinking of changing the battery of my car key myself. so does this mean i still have to "map" the key to the car? by doing this myself will it effect the security system? or just simlpy get the battery and change it myself and know that i am $200 richer.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
olly986

yep save the money!!

Brucee i write the same way that i drive!
Old 07-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #9

Key Battery

When we picked up our '04 there were two keys. A short time later we found that one of did not work. I opened it up to change the battery and found that there were no guts inside of it.

On the next trip to our dealer, a three hour trip for us, they put the required parts in the key. At that time they did have to do something so that the computer recognized both keys. This was under warrenty, I don't know what the costs would have been otherwise.

Since then I have replaced one of the batteries (the other one needs it now) and had no problems with the key working properly. I don't remember what it cost, not much, I got it at Radio-Shack.
crzn427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #10

Are there Care4 or Tesco-Lotus in Singapore? I know that they have locations in Thailand, Taiwan, and Mylasia.

Last edited by specivic; 07-05-2006 at 11:46 PM.
specivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:36 AM   #11

you don't have to re-program the key after you change the battery. there is a small (grain of rice size) black shiny thing next to the battery that contains the code that makes the key work (works with or without the battery). just don't lose it when you're changing the key!! see pic below:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:47 AM   #12

i have manage to change the battery and the key are working perfectly well with the boxster! thank you everybody for you precious advice. and now i am indeed $200 richer!

BTW what is "Care4 or Tesco-Lotus"?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan loh
i have manage to change the battery and the key are working perfectly well with the boxster! thank you everybody for you precious advice. and now i am indeed $200 richer!

BTW what is "Care4 or Tesco-Lotus"?
they are large Asian department store chains. They sell everything from clothing to food (including cr2032 batteries) for dirt cheap.

specivic is offline   Reply With Quote