Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
1998 Boxster Owner

Listening to AM Radio in the Boxster -

Not really looking for a solution just wanted to share my experience -

Couple of months ago I installed a new radio (Pioneer) - I listen to AM Sports Talk Radio during my morning commute. There are lots of power lines in my neighborhood, so whether in the Boxster or my wife's mini van there is always AM static until I clear the power lines.

Unless it's raining I usually crack a window when driving...the other day I was driving with my windows up and noticed AM static through out my commute. When I rolled the windows the down the AM Static/Buzz went away. I rolled the windows back up and the static came back. I thought maybe it was my cell phone causing the static but on the drive home I put my cell phone in my backpack/trunk and tried it again. Windows rolled up got static - windows rolled down no static until I got to my neighborhood. Tried it at random times through out the week and result is always the same.

I never noticed it with the stock radio but then again I usually drive with windows cracked down. :dance:

Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

I'm in Panama City Beach, FL.
No AM reception for me at all in my Boxster But....
my 2002 4Runner has a magic, stock radio that pics up WDAE in Tampa, FL, approximately 250 miles across the Gulf quite clearly....all day, not just at night.

It's kind of made me a Rays, Bucs and Lightning fan!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #3

I didn't even know that AM broadcasting was still available. Just goes to show...

Good memories of those AM feeds we had back in Montreal, the underground stuff, universities radios and all. iPods ruined it all

Luck with your sticky static, yurk argg. Wish I could help...
Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

Search this forum, and you will find a few threads on the horrid AM reception in the Boxster, regardless of sound system you have installed.

The PO of mine fortunately upgraded to a unit with BlueTooth, so I stream the AM stations I want through the phone and BT to the stereo unit. Talk radio and college/pro games are still predominantly on AM in this market.

As long as you can get signal for your phone, it's fine. You just lose the ability to station hop during commercials.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
Search this forum, and you will find a few threads on the horrid AM reception in the Boxster, regardless of sound system you have installed.

The PO of mine fortunately upgraded to a unit with BlueTooth, so I stream the AM stations I want through the phone and BT to the stereo unit. Talk radio and college/pro games are still predominantly on AM in this market.

As long as you can get signal for your phone, it's fine. You just lose the ability to station hop during commercials.

DBear
Thanks for the tip...I forgot I can stream AM Radio on my phone. I just can't listen to SF Giants games via Radio Stream because of stupid MLB licensing.

Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote