Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #1

Gauge electrical question

Sorry, not for my Box but for my Miata. Maybe someone of you electrical guys can help anyhow.

My coolant temperature gauge is not working. I know the continuity between the wire coming off the sensor to the gauge is ok, got the buzz from my meter. I have the gauge out. Is there some way to see if the gauge works. When I start the car, it doesn't move at all. Never moves. The oil pressure gauge next to it works ok and I believe they feed off the same ground.

Figured I would ask before I go and buy a part I might not need.

By the way, I am really starting to like the simplicity of the car. Easy to work on, parts are cheap and I don't worry about it.

Thanks.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
2007 Cayman S

Miata Electrical Gauge Question

Just a suggestion, but you might want to consult with a Miata forum, such as this one:https://forum.miata.net

I was a 96 Miata owner before I moved onto my 986. This Miata forum is excellent. Might be quicker to get an answer from fellow Miata guys. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

I tried over there. They don't have near the activity we have here. I figured it might be as easy as checking the continuity between the positive and negative going into the switch. Just a guess. Heck, I guess I will just try it. A used cluster panel is $55. Not exactly porsche pricing.

Thanks for responding.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #4

Typically, when testing an automotive instrument you ground the lead attached to the sending unit. If the needle moves the instrument is ok...then the fault lies with the sending unit.

Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote