Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Garage
hopefully they don't total it

Pics to come. Was sideswiped on I-95 coming home from work.

alex.rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.rhodes View Post
Pics to come. Was sideswiped on I-95 coming home from work.
Sorry to hear that. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #3

As long as no 1 was injured and it will just be time consuming to get the car repaired and dealing with insurance. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

Garage

Old 05-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
2007 Cayman S

Accident

Very sorry to see this. Glad you weren't hurt. Keep us posted please. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

Is the top sill operating fine ?

I doubt they would total it..

Good luck.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

Garage
I haven't checked the top. I'm waiting for the insurance adjuster
Old 05-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #8

The dent around the intake is a bit tricky but the rest of it doesn't look too bad. A good bodyman should be able to repair that dent. Shame to see it happen to a nice looking Box.

Looks like you were tradin paint on an oval. What are the details?

What year?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry to see this. Doesn't look too bad, I'd be surprised if it was a total.

Like Husker, my first thought was; rubbin' is racing...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
Glad you are fine. If it's totaled, buy it back, Front fender and door from Woody (though I understand he is adverse to shipping body panels) may be a cost effective route. Woody sold me a clamshell cover for a price so good I'm ashamed to disclose it. We can leave it at it was way better than you typically find online. And the key here is I'd happily pay Woody more because he's such a straight up guy (just don't tell him I said that). To me, the door sill and unfortunate damage by the rear vent are the real actors, everything else is easily had and bolt on. The advice about a good body man was spot on.

One other note, You're small. Judging by the tire marks whatever creamed you was big: Safety Tip - Get out of the way!!!!

Glad to see nobody was hurt! Best of luck sorting this out.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #11

Garage
It's a 2000 base and the other car was a 2012 GMC 1500. He decided he wanted my lane while I was in it. Unfortunately, I was in the middle lane so I could only use the horn and scoot over a little bit before this happened.

The rear body panel and below the door jamb worry me as well. One of the first questions from insurance was if the car had over 100,000 miles. It really is a nice car, so I hope it's not totaled. I was having such a nice day, too. Great weather, good top down drive to work, good day at work, and a good drive home until this. Guy had the audacity to try to blame this on me. Said there was a car coming up fast behind him so he had to get over and because I was there I had to be speeding.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #12
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.rhodes View Post
Guy had the audacity to try to blame this on me..
If I run into you at a stoplight, it's your fault, not mine, you shouldn't have been there. If I merge into you on the freeway? your fault, same reason. I change lanes and run into you? Your fault again. The sinking of the Titanic?, World War One? The Hindenburg? You guessed it. It certainly wasn't my fault, so it must be yours. Did these people have actual parents?
Old 05-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #13

Glad you're OK. In the end, that is all that counts.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:00 AM   #14

sorry to hear of your accident.

If its a 2000 base and it has more than say 80k miles, its likely totaled. Car value is probably about $8k, and you're probably right at $8k in parts and labor. could be done cheaper with used parts, but not sure I'd like that.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #15

Generally from what I've seen they're going to total it. It somewhat matters on what you want, say and do. If you let the adjuster come up with a total on damages, he/she will probably come up with a total higher than the value of the car. If you want to save your car, then you'll need to hunt down parts and a shop that will do it for a lot less than the adjuster's total. You'll need to call the salvage yards around your area and find those damaged parts. At a minimum you'll want a door. The fender and rear quarter might get away with being pulled and bondo.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:28 AM   #16
I am No. 1348

Garage
That Sux. Hoping for a favorable outcome.

I had a similar thing happen to me in one of the worst roads in Florida - It's like Mad Maxx Death Run each day. Of course the person who hit me blamed me; however she didn't know I had a front and rear dash camera to capture it all. She was distracted by an accident in the lane I was in and I was merging into the center lane as their was a FHP and Road Ranger in the closed left lane and everyone was merging to the right center lane. She was looking at the accident and running at full speed and didn't see me. She was very embarrassed after I showed the officer the dash camera footage!! LOL Especially after she blasted me for being at fault. The Trooper was highly amused.

Unfortunately, Florida is a No Fault state. However, I did get her insurance company to pay my deductible.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:43 AM   #17
Rennzenn

Garage
I had similar damage done to my 996, and unfortunately it was totaled. I found a door on my own and did the install, and that helped the repair cost a lot. As well, I delivered the car to the body shop with the interior removed, which cut more labor. All in, I was actually able to make a couple of upgrades. The Ins company wouldn't budge on the value of the car, which I thought was too low, but I was able to negotiate the buy-back cost to a real deal. Having a relationship with the body shop helped out, too. Good luck with yours.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 AM   #18

That had to be a scary ordeal especially on the drivers side. At least you're okay, it sounds like he panicked when changing lanes because someone was coming up fast behind him. It looks fixable to me, hopefully it won't be totaled. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #19

As a 40 year NOVA driver, I know the route and now I avoid it like the plague when we now visit. Actually schedule arrival times around peak traffic.

My experience with a Boxster accident I thought was minor and maybe $3k on my kids Honda was, because I was in a Porsche, the costs escalated to the $26k point when they stopped counting. I think you are facing an insurance company who will want to total the car. My experience was exceptionally kind. My Boxster ('99) was only mine about 6 months and the insurance company knew to the penny exactly what I had paid for the car. I received a settlement ~$3500 MORE than I paid and promptly went out and bought a '01S so upgraded at no cost. They will figure $3k recovered from a breakers for the carcass and maybe $8k to you nets them a cost around $5k and they won't want to pay out any more than that. They love profits, not that it was a special car to you.

I feel your pain, my first thought after my crash was "oh no, I pranged a Porsche".

The insurance company is entitled to the car as it came from the factory as that is how they will value it so plan on getting anything you added out. I had done tail light and side markers and took them with me and left the originals in the trunk. They had no objection.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:21 AM   #20

Totalled? Whaaaat..? Come on, man: A quick trip to the paintless dent place, a good claybar and buffing out and Bob's your uncle. You'll be back on the road in a couple days!

Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote