Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #21
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Also interested. What would the cost be shipped to The Great White North?

Thanks!

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #22

I'm in - let me know if international USPS is an okay way for you to ship!
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #23

Garage
If you hear black helicopters overhead it may be the Feds following this thread as surely this product is illegal. Careful guys, maybe pay for it with bitcoin
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #24

I realise #23 is in jest but a few points to help clarify :
1. The 'SAI problem-solver ' connections are made in an easily accessible place that the Smog Referee would never look. You won't get your hands dirty and only simple/basic electrical tools are required. No great skill required.
2.It is easily reversible.
3. The total carbon footprint of many SAI fault repairs far exceeds the consequences of this little mod. Remember the Rest Of the World does not use an SAI on the M96.
4. The SAI system runs for a max of 90 seconds on cold start up. It self checks at other times but does nothing for pollution then.
5. Fixing SAI faults may be very expensive/frustrating because the access is terrible -lots of dismantling.You can't test a repair without completely reassembling everything and then running Durametric on the car for a week. The Vac tubes are so brittle that it is easy to cause new faults when repairing the old ones.
6. Whatever you do it is a good idea to replace any remaining vac lines with high quality 3mm silicone hose. I use SAMCo because it is made in USA. You really do not want to do this job over ! If you are getting an Indie to do this work you could easily spend 5+ hours in labor just with R&R +testing
7. Nothing kills P-car enthusiasm like expensive,difficult to repair,Smog Failure problems.
ParticleWeave and talented people like him save the old car hobby from death by bureaucrats and misguided environmentalists.
Yes it is a Smog-illegal mod. But imho it is morally justifiable.
For those who think the repair issue is exaggerated, read the Thread by JamesP - a talented Engineer who spent hours & $$$ chasing it .
To trouble shoot the SAI system comprehensively you need to remove the Intake Manifold &/or the Alternator -not fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
If you hear black helicopters overhead it may be the Feds following this thread as surely this product is illegal. Careful guys, maybe pay for it with bitcoin
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #25
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 09-27-2019 at 11:59 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #26

I'm in also. Please add me to the list. Let me know what info you need via PM!
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #27

Okay, count me in. Hopefully goodbye to that on /off again P0420 code.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelStroke View Post
Okay, count me in. Hopefully goodbye to that on /off again P0420 code.
P0420 is a catalyst inefficiency code as you must have found out ? So the "SAI problem solver" circuit is unlikely to help unless you think this is caused when the SAI does a self check while the engine is warm?? Seems unlikely but what would I know ?
Presume your interest is in the O2 Sensor problem solver circuit ? Me also.My Durametric confirmed it.
If either/both your Cats are beginning to fail, it should be clearly visible on Durametric because the wave form seen on the Pre-Cat Voltage graph will not be smoothed out by the cat & the Post-Cat O2 sensor will show a lumpy Voltage graph.It should be fairly smooth to 'please' the DME. I have grossly simplified this but here is a link to a pro page on the subject that may be helpful for some:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm
So how far have you got with the diagnosis?

Last edited by Gelbster; 05-16-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #29

I'm in for one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
‘11 958 S
https://dergarage.com
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:35 PM   #30

Ok the peer pressure is killing me, I'm in for one, just on the premise that I'm in this car for the long haul and will probably eventually have SAI problems.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 PM   #31

If it comes to that will buy 220 cell cats. She runs perfect and aggressive regardless of that code.

My SAI pump is only a month old..kicks in for the usual 90 secs and sometimes when driving. Only drive it off after a 2:30 sec warm up. Cats are worthless IMO. I leave more of a carbon footprint by farting after a high protein meal :-)

Last edited by SteelStroke; 05-16-2017 at 10:42 PM.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:10 AM   #32
Project Addicted

I'm in for 1 of this fancy magic devices.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:19 AM   #33

Not trying to sound incompetent, but is there a level of difficulty installing this? I've been clearing SAI related codes for 2 years and would like to be done with it once and for all.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #34

I am not an expert on this circuit- it isn't mine- but here are a few comments that may help you.
The install looks straightforward,just procedural.There is an excellent visual tutorial. Issues like do I /don't I need to disconnect the battery are covered.No soldering required. Easily reversible -so you can claim the circuit is for Testing Purposes only.That part of the project install is entirely your issue in your Smog jurisdiction.

I suggest your persistent SAI code needs some investigation because the SAI "problem Solver" circuit should stop the CEl but obviously won't seal a vacuum leak.
Any SAI-related electrical problem is completely solved with Particleweave's circuit. Note - it is not my circuit!
The vacuum leak(if this is the cause of your CEL) may still be an issue for systems other than SAI - it depends where the leak is and if you bypass/plug it successfully. These links will help you?
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/56546-so-many-little-hoses.html
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/60524-vacuum-connection-where-does-go.html
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/62979-vacuum-confusion-solved.html
air intake/vacuum line routing - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
If the leak is in the SAI side of the vacuum system you need to either bypass/isolate &/or plug it. From the many Vac hose diagrams linked above, you can easily see where to plug.
If you check the last link above, find the diagram with the Green Captions and markings. The "Problem Solver" will eliminate an SAI-related CEL caused by insufficient vacuum

Other non SAI problems will still be there ! The SAI 'Problem Solver" circuit is not a panacea for all fault codes and defects in the vac system :-).
For example if the Vacuum Accumulator is leaking and you plug the SAI connection at the Y or 4-way at the Vac accumulator, it will stop the SAI-related CEL but the Resonance Flap may not function correctly (J & K).
If the vacuum leak is severe it may have been causing a lean condition that will continue to produce misleading O2 Sensor codes because the A/F ratio is wrong and the DME maxes out an attempt to compensate by adding more fuel. In this way an SAI fault may also be part of a Cat Insufficiency failure code problem. That is a separate subject.
So it is a good idea to vacuum test the remaining, active part of the Vacuum system after you plug off the SAI section.
Competency - fitting the "Problem Solver" circuit is straightforward. Dealing with the other Vacuum issues requires study of the system(links above) dismantling and time/dexterity to reach the vac hoses to correct other problems. You need a hand Vac pump with a gauge ,good quality 3mm silicone hose and some vac fittings/connectors/plugs.
I hope this helps get you started to an SAI-free live with your Boxster !
Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Not trying to sound incompetent, but is there a level of difficulty installing this? I've been clearing SAI related codes for 2 years and would like to be done with it once and for all.

Last edited by Gelbster; 05-17-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #35
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 09-28-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #36
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 09-03-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #37

I would like to have one, thanks!
Old 05-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #38

Count me in I would like to buy one. I bought the OBC cables a couple of years ago...awesome product.

Dan
D1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #39
1998 Boxster

Add me to the list please.
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:53 AM   #40

I'm in for one too...if only to have for insurance purposes.

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote