Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Shift linkage failure?

Today I went for a nice drive on some back roads driving quite aggressively and shifted very quickly after hitting the limiter. Well I guess I put too much effort into it and broke something. I went from 2nd to 3rd but it looked like it was in fifth. I pulled it back to neutral and it seemed limp and almost like it wasn't fully connected. I drove home carefully shifting and I'm looking for advice.

I just recently replaced the shifting assembly in my 1999 Boxster (86k miles) with a short throw assembly. I should have changed the cable ends because they looked very worn. I believe one has broken but I am not completely sure. I pulled the shifter boot off and tried to get a better look and it appears that the linkage directly under the shifter (ball that goes into hole/bushing) has come out. The reason why I'm not sure is because I've always heard that this usually leaves you with one gear but I have access to all gears including reverse. Is this possible? I'll tear into it more tomorrow but any input or advice tonight could be helpful. If it is the cable ends, should I just replace those or the entire cables?

Mr Flat Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I had trouble with the linkage on a car a little while back. The shift cables had both come unclipped from a bracket. Follow the cables from across the top of the engine and look back to the transmission:
Old 05-15-2017, 01:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice 78f350! I'm guessing that photo is looking at everything from the top entry point to the engine? Basically under the clamshell correct? I'll start tearing into it today and I'm hoping to have this all fixed by next weekend so I can go to a car meet. I still have a good feeling it's the ball socket cable end but it's worth checking everything!
Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 AM   #4
Project Addicted

Laying on the ground with flash light in hand should get a look at what you need to see.

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 AM   #5

jcslocum, I checked the transmission links and they all seem to be on. I didn't see anything out of place when I looked at it but I will take a look again today. I haven't taken it out but now it seems to shift fine. It goes through all the gears nice and smooth now and I'm wondering if it had something to do with the car cooling down? I'll check to see if the cables on the transmission links are tight; I didn't reach in there last night because it was hot and I didn't want to get burned. I'll post back up in a few hours when I get the chance to take another look under the car.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:59 AM   #6

Alright guys I have an update. Drove the car around the neighborhood and it feels fine for the most part. Only issue is that the shifter feels sort of sloppy or loose. Almost like its worn out and has some play. Its still firm and returns to neutral like normal but it feels loose like it was before I installed the short throw shifter kit. I checked the cables at the transmission linkage and they look perfectly normal. The cables are clipped in and everything is sitting where its supposed to sit. I believe it could be something at the shifter, possibly the little ball socket. I didn't replace it and it looked quite worn out when I installed the short throw kit. Is it also possible that the cables could be out of adjustment? I still don't know how it was so messed up yesterday and then I go look at it this morning and its almost back to normal except for some play.