Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #1

Water behind passenger seat.

Before everyone rips me, I've looked through all forums in multiple websites for an answer.

The carpet behind my passenger seat is collection water. It's not wet in the front foot well and it's not wet on the driver side at all.

I have tested the rear drain tube under the clam shell and the water is draining as designed below the car near the tire. I had my Indy replace the foam tray just to make sure all was draining correctly.

I have cleared out the front drains under the Bonnet and I have cleared our both drains under the rear clam shell.

The water collects after it rains. The water seems to be collecting on the floor closest to the firewall on the passenger side.

I'm not sure why water is still getting in when I have cleared the drain tubes.

There's gotta be a drain tube I have missed!?

Syracuse986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

I have read somewhere that water can enter from the door.
What if you pour some water between the window and the door ?
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #3

I'm no expert, but like pomerlo said, it's possible it's coming in through the door. I believe there is a water shield (sheet of plastic) that has a bead of sealant around the edges. If the bottom edge isn't sealed, I think water can enter into the car through the unsealed edge. Have you had the door apart recently (to change a window regulator, fix a door handle, or mess with the door speakers)?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 on verifying the door plastic sheet integrity. I experienced that problem. Any chance the firewall cover and/or gasket are not tight? Do you drive in the rain?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Only four drain tubes. If they are all working, then you have a leak somewhere else.

Here is how I found how water was getting into my 911SC Targa: Sit inside the car and have someone spray the car with a hose. Search around until you find where the water's coming in.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #6

Isn't there 4 drain holes in the rear. The two big ones in the foam trays and one hidden on each side in the metal gutter where the clam shell closes on the rear wings joints. As far forward as you can get in the corners

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRobby View Post
Isn't there 4 drain holes in the rear. The two big ones in the foam trays and one hidden on each side in the metal gutter where the clam shell closes on the rear wings joints. As far forward as you can get in the corners

This is what I keep hearing but unfortunately nobody had ever confirmed or shown a picture of the other two drain holes in the rear. It would be great if you can solve this mystery for me!
Old 05-11-2017, 03:35 AM   #8

Here's a picture just this second taken it. Lift the clamshell and look in the corner, right near the door on each side in the gutter

Old 05-11-2017, 03:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomerlo View Post
I have read somewhere that water can enter from the door.
What if you pour some water between the window and the door ?
Is there a picture of where this fail point is on the door/window? Does it come in through the top of the window or the bottom of the door?
Old 05-11-2017, 03:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRobby View Post
Here's a picture just this second taken it. Lift the clamshell and look in the corner, right near the door on each side in the gutter

Ahhhh that's great! Thank you for posting the picture, I will test this drain tube and get back to all of you if it resolves my issue.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:40 AM   #11

I use a nylon line, something like a thick strimmer line to poke down the drains

Old 05-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #12

A carefully positioned hole drilled in the floor is a great precaution -particularly under the Drivers seat where the Imobilizer sits waiting to die an expensive death by drowning. Lots in Search.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote