Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #1

Greetings! First time Porsche Owner

First time Porsche owner here.
01 Boxster (Unfortunately not an S) with 125k on the clock.

Picked her up from a friend of mine who just could not afford to keep the car any longer.
Overall in rather good condition, but was filthy (he was not very clean with it sadly).
When I picked it up, the inside was... Super disgusting. Had to take pretty much the whole interior apart to give it a deep clean and scrub. The exterior was covered in dirt, cat hair, small scratches, and both front and rear bumper have a few blemishes. All of the bulbs in the headlights were also burned out.

Mechanically though... Overall good condition. IMS has not been fixed/replaced/modified, but no signs of metal in the oil.
Oil filter had a leak, which was fixed when I changed the oil.
Valve Cover seems to also have a leak, not sure how much of a bear that would be to fix.

I've also begun retrofitting projectors and HIDs in to the headlights, as well as painting the headlights. As well as grinding off the orange from the lens.
I really wish I could buy new lenses though as these ones are terrible regardless.

With all of that said... On to a few pictures:

JoeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the 986 community, Joe. Thank you for sharing so many great images of your newly acquired P car. Looks like you gave her a good cleaning. We are doing 10% off some car care products starting later today if you're wanting to try out some new product. I also am listing you to our free tech article library if any issues arise with it in the future. If you have any forum or parts questions please do not hesitate to reach out to me on here as I am here to help. Enjoy your stay!

Promo will be here: Pelican Parts Specials & Promotions
Tech help: Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Racer Boy

Welcome, Joe! I have a 2002 with higher miles than yours, 146K, so it's nice to see other high-mileage examples being taken care of.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

If your headlight seals aren't leaking and all the damage is to the outside and you don't mind spending a few hours on it just sand them. I did this on my TT and it took about 3 hours to do both lights but they came out like new. They were pretty bad and I had to knock them down with 400 grit then 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, then 3000 and finished with a wheel and rubbing compound.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:59 PM   #5

Welcome

Check Ebay for new headlight assembly's. Last year I got two for 740 bucks and they were the Bosch original brand.

Try tightening down the valve cover bolts before replacing. Worth a shot

Nice looking ride!
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
still plays with cars...

Garage
Welcome!
Turned into a good looking car for what you started with.
The valve cover leakage may be something as simple as oozing spark plug tubes.
Looks like you're doing a fine job so far.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:45 AM   #7

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I hadn't considered the spark plug tubes, though that could definitely make sense. I remember seeing a write-up for it, so I'll eventually take a look and see if that's the case.

As for the headlights... I've hit them with 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper, as well as cut and polish and they still have a yellow hue. It makes me think the yellowing may have gone all of the way through, but it's hard to say. I'll likely try cutting a bit more off in the near future just to really try and diminish it.

Included are a few pics from when I picked her up, flat tire and all.

The windshield was so bad you could hardly see through it. Used some oven cleaner on a microfiber bonnet with the dual action polisher to clean it up.

Last picture here shows the retrofitted HID projector and switchback running light/turn signal shroud, as well as the de-amber. I have clear corners coming in some day (ordered from overseas)
JoeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #8

Garage
Good to see this car in good hands! Welcome to the forum
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

Welcome, the car looks great, good luck with it!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
Beginner

Garage
+1 on spark plug tubes leaking. Make sure you research any engine work before diving into it. Removing the valve covers to find a leak can result in breaking a camshaft. Lots of information on this forum on how to properly service the car.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #11

I gave a set of ambers away a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk