Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Folks with 03/04 factory tops, do you notice this?...

I'm noticing that after you've had the top down for a while, and then you put the top back up, there's a raised bump in the fabric that eventually flattens, but is clearly a point where eventually I think it will wear through. Seems as if a metal bar is poking it out when the top is down or something. Anyone with an 03/04 top not have this come up? I'm wondering if there's an adjustment I can play with to prevent it. It happens on both sides.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
I'm noticing that after you've had the top down for a while, and then you put the top back up, there's a raised bump in the fabric that eventually flattens, but is clearly a point where eventually I think it will wear through. Seems as if a metal bar is poking it out when the top is down or something. Anyone with an 03/04 top not have this come up? I'm wondering if there's an adjustment I can play with to prevent it. It happens on both sides.

YES! Thank you for posting this picture; I have an 03 base and now I know I'm not alone! Mine has it on both sides and has even gotten far enough to put a small 5-8mm hole in it. I first tried suturing it closed with nylons and that held for a year or two and now I just put some extra thick gorilla tape on the inside. I put the top up and down at least once a day if weather is good and always store the car top up in my garage. I have no clue what causes this though but at least there's someone who has the exact same thing.
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmedical View Post
YES! Thank you for posting this picture; I have an 03 base and now I know I'm not alone! Mine has it on both sides and has even gotten far enough to put a small 5-8mm hole in it. I first tried suturing it closed with nylons and that held for a year or two and now I just put some extra thick gorilla tape on the inside. I put the top up and down at least once a day if weather is good and always store the car top up in my garage. I have no clue what causes this though but at least there's someone who has the exact same thing.
Haha, at least we know it's a problem! Without digging into it yet, it looks like something from below the top is poking into it from the underside which makes the bump and also the dimple to the right of it in my picture.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 04-29-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Mine started out like that, then there top would shutter when closing. I ended up with a hole on each side. I checked the transmissions and motor and they are both fine it is something wrong with the frame not wanting to fold properly. I disconnected the arms so I can manually lower the top but the clamshell is still powered. When looking at the top from the inside I noticed a bar with a tab sticking up. That is what rubs on the spot.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Mine started out like that, then there top would shutter when closing. I ended up with a hole on each side. I checked the transmissions and motor and they are both fine it is something wrong with the frame not wanting to fold properly. I disconnected the arms so I can manually lower the top but the clamshell is still powered. When looking at the top from the inside I noticed a bar with a tab sticking up. That is what rubs on the spot.
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to adjust the bar so that it doesn't touch the fabric you think?

Old 04-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Ran down to the garage and took some photos
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thanks for the pics. You got me thinking now. Gonna have to take a look in there today too. Will let you know if I can figure anything out.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Been there, done that. The passenger side got so bad it put a small hole in the roof. I removed both pieces shown in Fintro's bottom pic. I have no issues since taking the quite useless pieces out.

I used some black silicon seal to cure the hole inside and out. It works fine until I decide to replace the top.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Ok, so I wanted to be sure that those tabs were actually touching the fabric on the top, so I put some baby powder on the tab and put black duct tape on the fabric side to protect the fabric a bit. When I put the top down and then back up, I saw the baby powder right on the black tape, which proves the tab is what is pressing into the fabric. I left them there for now cause I'm sure there's a reason for them to be there (perhaps to stop one of the frame ribs from moving further back when the top is retracted)? Hoping the tape delays the top from ripping for now.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
Yes, and I'm about to replace mine. I feel a minor mod in my future...
Old 04-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

Garage
I was going to look for an 03/04 top to replace my 01 at some point in the future. Is that tab attached to the extra bow that Porsche added? This must be happening to some extent on all of these tops...might have to re-think my options unless you folks see a mod/repair that would be a fix, maybe the tape will do it.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Yeah, I think it's on the extra bow. I haven't had a problem with wear until now though, and you can remove the tab. I'm just keeping it there for now.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I think it's on the extra bow. I haven't had a problem with wear until now though, and you can remove the tab. I'm just keeping it there for now.
Thanks Boxtaboy...I imagine that tab is there for a reason, but what
Old 04-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
Thanks Boxtaboy...I imagine that tab is there for a reason, but what
Haha. Not sure why it's there, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have that there for no reason so it's staying for now.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Another 03 owner with the top dimple. Mine is more pronounced on the driver's side. I just put two layers of black duct tape on the inside with the hopes that it won't get any worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
and put black duct tape on the fabric side to protect the fabric a bit.
Quick question: how did you get access to this section. I have the same problem and I'm trying to think of how to reach it
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #17

Garage
Thank you for posting this. I have a hole on the drivers side, which burns me up every time I get in the car as I see it every day. The passenger side is worn but does not have a hole. Yet.

Until someone demostrated that it was caused by chafing of the top on a metal tab I had assumed that it was just a function of aging fabric.

I have been considering a patch of some kind, maybe gorilla tape as was suggested earlier, but I'd love to hear other suggestions

2003 Boxster S
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
Quick question: how did you get access to this section. I have the same problem and I'm trying to think of how to reach it
You have to stick your hand between the headliner and top fabric in order to see it. Once you get in between there, you can easily see the tab.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #19
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
Thank you for posting this. I have a hole on the drivers side, which burns me up every time I get in the car as I see it every day. The passenger side is worn but does not have a hole. Yet.

Until someone demostrated that it was caused by chafing of the top on a metal tab I had assumed that it was just a function of aging fabric.

I have been considering a patch of some kind, maybe gorilla tape as was suggested earlier, but I'd love to hear other suggestions

2003 Boxster S
I guess we can either remove the tab or cut off the section that rubs against the top. Otherwise, tape on the inside is the only other option.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #20
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I took the tabs out a year ago. Leaving it in made it worse. Since removing them the top folds perfectly fine and the clamshell closes better. I cannot see a reason for them but once the small bulge starts the tab just hooks in there and things get progressively worse.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote