Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #1

Traction Control problem

Sometimes when I drive my car the Traction Control light turns “ON” by it self (indicating “TC OFF”) and if I try to press the “TC ON” switch it wont get turned ON (i.e. it gets stuck at the “TC OFF mode”), this problem gets ok if I turn the ignition off then turn the it on again!

Does anyone know why this happens? Is it normal?

Boxster 2000
us specs
tiptronic

donjuan143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:09 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
This could be related to a bad ignition switch,it can cause ALL kinds of electrical problems across the board. Audi and VW dealerships carry the specific part for under $30,Porsche sells the whole assembly for muy $$$. From what I remember it should only take 1-1.5 hours labor,a semi-easy D.I.Y.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #3

It could also be your traction control rocker switch. Mine got sticky and then stuck on the OFF position, making the lamp illuminate until I "rebooted" the car.

Switch is something like $22 and you can install it yourself. The ignition switch is cheaper yet, but requires some under the dash work with tiny screwdrivers... I left that up to my mechanic, who did it in 15 minutes for me.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
olly986

keep the TC off its more fun anyway!!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
creseida

What Olly said.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #6

re

what if there is something wrong with TC system! the switch works fine but sometimes when i drive the car fast or push the gas suddenly, then the TC light freezes and the switch doesnt work.
donjuan143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
creseida

In many cars, the traction control and the ABS systems are tied in together. (I do not know if this is the case with the Porsche or not) If something is wrong with the traction control system, you might lose ABS ability and TC, but your car would still be driveable and stoppable. You simply wouldn't have the electronic advantage these systems offer, so you might want to tone things down a bit if you rely on these systems to keep you on the road and out of trouble.

If you are that concerned, perhaps a trip to the dealer to have them check things out or pull some codes and see what shows up?

Old 07-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
olly986

don juan with a name like that you have to listen to the woman!!