Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #1

Advice needed ..... oil leak !!!

i am driving a 97 RHD 2.5 tip. this morning i discover very small pool of dark color
oil on the floor. its on the right side rear. just after the wheel arch; maybe a feet in.
does this mean; should there be any major concern? any feedback will be great guys!
THANK!

ivan loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #2

This is where mine is leaking, so where talking abouth drivers side on YOUR car. This is possibly a failing oil seperator brought to my attention by some board members. The dealership says it just a filler tube.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:22 PM   #3

thanks! i have attach a picture........
Old 06-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #4

Ivan, you're going to have to get under the car or get someone to get under the car and find the source so you can sleep at night.

Often, the cam covers leak a little oil from time to time, and they're on the far sides of the engine, not in the middle... the middle is where your RMS is, so that should give you some peace of mind.

Sure wish I was in S'pore to help you figure it out, friend! We could compare oil leaks—my driver's side (which would be your passenger's side) cam cover leaks a little, but it's no big deal because it's a tiny drop once in a while on the garage floor. No big loss of oil.

Get it up on a lift and get it checked out. BTW, this is not one of those things you need to take it to the dealership for if you don't want to spend the big money. Just jack up the car, insure it's braced so it won't fall on you, and get under it with a torch (flashlight) and look around.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #5

Hi,

It looks more like ATF transmission fluid to me, possibly just a failed pan gasket. You'll need to get underneath to confirm it. It's an ideal time to replace the fluid, filter and gasket - a pretty straightforward DIY procedure. In USD, it would cost $260 for the parts and fluid, maybe a 2-hour job max...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 AM   #6

thanks

thanks for the advice guys! appreciate it. now i can sleep tonite.......
Old 08-14-2006, 01:31 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
This is where mine is leaking, so where talking abouth drivers side on YOUR car. This is possibly a failing oil seperator brought to my attention by some board members. The dealership says it just a filler tube.
Hey ohioboxster I have oil in the same spot. Did you find out what was leaking?
By "filler tube" do they mean the j shaped tube connecting the oil seperator to the throttle body?