Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Rattle when clutch is out, no rattle when clutch is pushed in

The thread title says it all. Whats going on?

PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #2

Heat sheild is loose.

/
Old 08-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

I thought this was more indicative of a flywheel issue. I have it too, and have not properly diagnosed it, so this is just my .02
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

I'm hoping it's a simple solution. Any other thoughts.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #5

I have this, learned from a couple of mechanics it is normal. If it is loud may want to have someone check it out who you trust. If it's not loud I wouldnt worry about it.

Oh and regarding fatmike's comments about heat shields - loose shields can cause some odd racket and are easy to tighten with a 10mm socket. The bolts are kind of odd, and if rusted can be replaced with some stainless fasteners.

best of luck.
heymanwatchthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymanwatchthis View Post
I have this, learned from a couple of mechanics it is normal. If it is loud may want to have someone check it out who you trust. If it's not loud I wouldnt worry about it.

Oh and regarding fatmike's comments about heat shields - loose shields can cause some odd racket and are easy to tighten with a 10mm socket. The bolts are kind of odd, and if rusted can be replaced with some stainless fasteners.

best of luck.
How would you determine if it's too loud?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #7

When warm, mine sounds kind of diesel-like. Hard to describe. A "clattering" noise is the best I can describe it. Fairly loud when I pull into the garage with the top down, and actuate the clutch to hear the difference.

How does the clutch/engagement feel OP? Mine's kind of clunky and almost feels warped when I slip the clutch into an idle roll. Low power/low speed shifts are pretty harsh. This may be a characteristic of the car, I don't know. I've been attributing it to something to do with the dual mass flywheel.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

My obvious concern with the car is the IMS. With that said I don't think there is anyway this is IMS related since it has to do with the clutch being pressed in and let out. IMS would be constant. Correct me if im wrong.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
When warm, mine sounds kind of diesel-like. Hard to describe. A "clattering" noise is the best I can describe it. Fairly loud when I pull into the garage with the top down, and actuate the clutch to hear the difference.

How does the clutch/engagement feel OP? Mine's kind of clunky and almost feels warped when I slip the clutch into an idle roll. Low power/low speed shifts are pretty harsh. This may be a characteristic of the car, I don't know. I've been attributing it to something to do with the dual mass flywheel.
Clutch feels good.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Rennzenn

Garage
Don't by chance have a light weight flywheel, do you? They make a lot of noise like you are describing.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #11

That is normally a sign of a worn clutch release bearing , but could be something ancillary (bolt on) rather than mechanical (moving) ...
As an experiment , try it with the AIRCON on and off ... Any difference ?
Try it with revs held around 1200 .. Any difference ?
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #12

Did some more "testing" today. Started the car cold. No rattle at all. Drove the car, got it up to temp and the rattle came back but not as loud as it was last night. Any new thoughts?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Don't by chance have a light weight flywheel, do you? They make a lot of noise like you are describing.
Not that I am aware of. I am 4th or 5th owner. Car only has 47k miles on it so as far I am aware its the orginal clutch.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #14

Sounds like you are most concerned about the IMS - I seriously doubt this is a symptom of IMS.

This topic is interesting for me because I went through the same thing in March - bought my 986S in January and listened for every little sound, paranoid about IMS failure. Sometimes I would hear a new sound and go straight to 'IT MUST BE THE IMS -OH NO!!!' and realize I just had the passenger window down etc etc.

One day I pulled into to garage and let the car idle in neutral when I heard the rattle - and I thought that was the big one. Rattle was not loud, just noticeable in the garage.

Called the independent who had done all the work. He sounded slightly amused (so many of us freak out about the IMS) and had me push clutch in and out with motor running to see how it affected sound. It behaved just like you describe. He said it is perfectly normal and maybe the clutch needed servicing, but his advice was to drive it and not worry about it.

After that I decided to go ahead and get the IMS replaced so I could not worry about it and just enjoy the car. I had IMS and RMS replaced, new clutch and oil changed for $2,500. Now I dont worry about any sounds from the engine and had already planned for this expense as part of buying the car. Purchase prices are down low enough to go ahead and factor in IMS cost. Also I plan to keep the car as a 3rd car for fun so the investment will pay off over time.

You may want to consider doing the same thing - bite the bullet for the IMS and enjoy the car.

Hope this helps.

Gary
heymanwatchthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheBound View Post
The thread title says it all. Whats going on?
Most likely either a worn throw out bearing, or a weak input shaft bearing on the gearbox.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymanwatchthis View Post
Sounds like you are most concerned about the IMS - I seriously doubt this is a symptom of IMS.

This topic is interesting for me because I went through the same thing in March - bought my 986S in January and listened for every little sound, paranoid about IMS failure. Sometimes I would hear a new sound and go straight to 'IT MUST BE THE IMS -OH NO!!!' and realize I just had the passenger window down etc etc.

One day I pulled into to garage and let the car idle in neutral when I heard the rattle - and I thought that was the big one. Rattle was not loud, just noticeable in the garage.

Called the independent who had done all the work. He sounded slightly amused (so many of us freak out about the IMS) and had me push clutch in and out with motor running to see how it affected sound. It behaved just like you describe. He said it is perfectly normal and maybe the clutch needed servicing, but his advice was to drive it and not worry about it.

After that I decided to go ahead and get the IMS replaced so I could not worry about it and just enjoy the car. I had IMS and RMS replaced, new clutch and oil changed for $2,500. Now I dont worry about any sounds from the engine and had already planned for this expense as part of buying the car. Purchase prices are down low enough to go ahead and factor in IMS cost. Also I plan to keep the car as a 3rd car for fun so the investment will pay off over time.

You may want to consider doing the same thing - bite the bullet for the IMS and enjoy the car.

Hope this helps.

Gary
This helps a lot. I just bought the car last night and inspected and listened to the car thorughly before buying. The second I get home and pull into the drive way this rattle occurs. Already budgeted for the IMS and plan to have it done in the next 2 weeks. Just wanted to reach out to the forum and make sure this wasnt a costly sounding rattle or something to be very concerned with.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #17

Just make sure they replace the throw-out bearing when installing the new clutch.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #18

have the mechanic listen before he tears it apart and tell him to make sure it's not there after he assembles it- re: JFP's comment. Probably a bearing that's just starting to go ( only when hot) and that's why the car was sold. That's one good thing about getting an IMS bearing replaced- YOU GET A WHOLE BUNCH 'O PARTS PUT IN AT ONCE! GOLLY! Good luck with your car!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #19

Alternator or alternator pulley by any chance?

I have the same symptom. I had been thinking it was the clutch or flywheel, it sounded like loose bolts floating around. I finally got a new clutch and flywheel installed about 6 weeks ago, throwout bearing replaced too of course, but the sound is still there.

Last week on a hunch, I checked the idle voltage with a multimeter. It was fluctuating in the low to mid 13's and the fluctuations seemed to coincide with the rattle. Above 1,500 rpm's or so the rattle goes away and the voltage stays dead flat.

Is this enough evidence to buy a new alternator? Also, the voltage reading at a 3,000 rpm's was 13.9 and low 13's at idle. Is this normal or a little on the low side? I have an under-drive pulley installed. Below is a link to an alternator I have short-listed. Thoughts??

New Porsche 911 Boxster s H6 Alternator 120A 97 04 M T | eBay
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 AM   #20

Is your idle speed fluctuating, causing the Voltage changes?

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote