Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

Porsche PCCB on Boxster S? Anyone?

Greetings everyone,

Hope you all have been well, gotten busy with life lately and haven't had much time to play with the car. Got a new job in the Porsche world which has fired me back up a bit and hopefully will be able to start playing with the car more again.

So this has been bugging me now for a bit and after searching around the forum here it does not look like anyone had been silly enough to upgrade their car with the PCCBs, or am I wrong? I rebuilt the whole braking system last year with all new rotors, Hawk pads - HP Plus I think? SS brake lines etc. The brakes are pretty good but the pads are REALLY aggressive and NOISY unless they are pretty warm. While I warm them up every once in a while, they are really starting to annoy and while I feel good enough about the car now to say take a lady out on a date, I don't think I could do it due to the brakes!

There is a local guy who has a set of rotors from a 2012 Turbo S that I kinda want to see if I can make work, but I am not a fan of recreating the wheel so figured I'd see if anyone else has made it work yet. Figure I may be able to find a set from a 996 Turbo someone is tracking that may fit with minimal modifications.

So the question is has anyone gotten a set of Porsche PCCBs to work on a Boxster S?

BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

I doubt that anyone has converted to PCCBs. Many times people with PCCBs convert to conventional disks because of the exorbitant replacement cost. Plus you have to be uber careful when removing wheels so you don't chip the disk.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #3

Yeah it doesn't seem like it. I am very well versed on the ups and downs of the PCCBs. Chipping them is certainly a concern but not one I am worried about, I am not a rock ape and don't break many things. I mean I still have my iPhone 4s that I've never had a case for and is in almost perfect shape!

Replacement cost is also a moot point as long as the set I find is not worn out already. PCCB discs can go 100K miles and while i'll drive the car hard on occasion, it will not be a track rat so they should be fine. I've put about 8000 miles on it in the last 2 years so the car will be driven, but not enough to worry about replacing the discs any time soon.

Any aftermarket carbon kits out there?

Thanks for the reply~
J
Old 03-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #4

Garage
1st gen PCCB's that came out on the GT2 were extremely noisy, I assume they are much better now but 991 turbo's require 20"+ wheels so the complete conversion cost may equal the value of the Boxster.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

is the issue that your brakes are noisy? ie, you have track pads to give you the braking power you need to match the big hp v8? there may be quieter pads out there, but if you want to upgrade to larger, conventional braking systems, there are the girodisc floating rotors that are larger in diameter and come w spacers for the calipers. gets you more torque on the rotor, more heat handling, also lighter. you can also buy kits to fit 996 turbo 6-pot or (cheaper) cayenne calipers to you car (remember, the 986S uses the same brakes as a 996) for more clamping power and larger rotors; here's one:

http://www.goingsuperfast.com/Porsche-996.html
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #6

Thanks guys,

So yes noise is a big factor lately but probably more of a "reason" then anything. Mostly because unless i'm driving like an a$$ I rarely get the brakes warm enough to keep them quiet. I could probably find some less aggressive pads that are less noisy but really like having the extra braking power the Hawks give me.

I've looked into some of the larger diameter kits and they are pretty pricey. Cayenne caliper upgrade is an interesting option but not inexpensive either, plus those calipers are pretty big and heavy so I figured I would try the PCCBs. Go big or go home right?

I assume i'll be able to make it all fit but since this is somewhat of an experiment I don't want to spend to much. Luckily I was able to score a set of worn out PCCB rotors from a 996 turbo for $400 so that is a big part of the costs done so if I can find some PCCB calipers i'll be set. Of course i'm not going to try and use the worn out rotors, just test with them and i'll keep my eyes open for a deal on a good set then turn the worn out ones into clocks and sell them

If anyone has a lead on some PCCB calipers let me know!
Thanks!
J