Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

Garage
BlueDevil Transmission Stop Leak... I should have known better!

Last fall I bought a 2000 Boxster S, 6 speed MT that had the typical cracked head/intermix issue. I spent the winter pulling the motor, replacing the head, IMS, RMS, and about a million other items while I was in there. I did not touch the transmission, except to remove and reinstall. I got it all back together and on the road about a month ago. After a couple of drives I started noticing small oil drops on the ground after driving it. It ended up being from the transmission where the shift linkage goes into the housing. I researched it and it seems like a fairly common problem and not that big of deal except to fix it you really need to pull the transmission - something I didn't really want to do again, although I thought I'd be pretty good at it the second time around! Which leads me to the tile of this post... I decided to change the tx fluid and add some stop leak and see what happens... it couldn't hurt anything, right? WRONG! After two days of driving it with the new fluid and stop leak I noticed a stream of oil coming down my driveway and looked under the car and saw a huge puddle of oil directly under where the tx mates to the engine. Crap! At first I thought my RMS went out even though I had just replaced it. But it seemed a lot thicker - like tx gear oil. So back up on jack stands she went. I was really proud of my time - 1 hour and 20 minutes from start until the transmission was on the ground - not counting jacking it up/jack stands. I'm not familiar with transmissions, but apparently there is pretty much the same type of seal as the RMS on the front of the transmission. Now I get to replace this and figure out how to fix the seal at the linkage as well. Feel free to post suggestions for either if you have any. Long story short, I've seen others say the stop leak made things worse and in my case it took a very tiny occasional drip to pulling the transmission. I'm just hoping I didn't ruin/oil the clutch as well....

1969 Porsche 912
Many and various BMW's but it's not that kind of forum

Last edited by aneal000; 03-23-2017 at 12:26 PM.
aneal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #2

Hmmm.... I'm just trying to figure out what's in this stuff.

[from https://www.gobdp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BlueDevil-Transmission-Sealer-SDS3.pdf]

" > 90% Proprietary Ingredient"
"SARA Section 313 - Emission reporting: Glycol Ethers Category".

..and also from https://gobdp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/00236_TSL_MSDS.pdf

"CAS # EINECS No Name % Concentration Warning, Risk phrases
111-90-0 203-919-7 Diethylene glycol 20%-95% R36
+ monoethyl ether
NA NA Proprietary Mixture 5%- 30% R2-/21/22
Trade Secret"

Not your usual "water glass" type stop leak product. Maybe the solvent properties are intended to clean dissolvable build-up, (assuming some sort of dissolvable build-up was preventing sealing and causing leakage)?
Old 03-24-2017, 03:24 AM   #3

I never gave it much thought about what is in those things but I would guess something ethanol based. They all claim cleaning properties and probably swell up seals which is what alcohol does. If you ever put a rubber o-ring in a container and spray some carb cleaner or the like on it, you can watch it swell up. It must be something similar that still has lubricating properties in it. Actually if you put rubber seals in diesel they get softer and swell a bit as well. Just to be clear, I am just speculating as I don't actually know.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Hmmm.... I'm just trying to figure out what's in this stuff.

[from https://www.gobdp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BlueDevil-Transmission-Sealer-SDS3.pdf]

" > 90% Proprietary Ingredient"
"SARA Section 313 - Emission reporting: Glycol Ethers Category".

..and also from https://gobdp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/00236_TSL_MSDS.pdf

"CAS # EINECS No Name % Concentration Warning, Risk phrases
111-90-0 203-919-7 Diethylene glycol 20%-95% R36
+ monoethyl ether
NA NA Proprietary Mixture 5%- 30% R2-/21/22
Trade Secret"

Not your usual "water glass" type stop leak product. Maybe the solvent properties are intended to clean dissolvable build-up, (assuming some sort of dissolvable build-up was preventing sealing and causing leakage)?
Those are seal softening compounds designed to soften up seals that have hardened over time.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #5

Garage
Everything I read was that it would cause the gaskets to swell. I'm guessing it works as it apparently popped the transmission input shaft seal out.

1969 Porsche 912
Many and various BMW's but it's not that kind of forum
aneal000 is offline   Reply With Quote