Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 04:36 AM   #1

Roof dash board light & spoiler light

Hi

In the last month my dash board roof light doesn't seem to come on at all when opening or closing the roof it all works fine but but just does not show its in use on the dash board
Any ideas where I can look to solve this problem

The only thing that may have happened to cause this problem may be that the grill mesh behind the head rest got blown into the hood whilst driving and I was putting the hood back up when I herd it crunch I stopped removed the mesh and replaced it and continue to close the roof

Since then no dash light

On a second point should there be any notification when the rear spoiler emerges or goes back into place on the dash board
When starting the ending the rear spoiler light comes on and after moving off it goes off that's the only time I see it light up
I have checked the spoiler using the manual switch in the foot well and that all works how do I know if the spoiler is actually raising when driving as you cannot see it in the rear view mirror

Any help would be appreciated

It's a 2000 model 2.7 if that helps

Robusto2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
for Q1: if the top (what you call roof) is operating fine, you have no issue.
the dash light suppose to indicate the end of the top travel both ways.
so the light will turn on during the travel of the mechanism, and will turn off once it is fully closed, or fully open (to indicate the end of the travel).
the light is controlled by 1 or 2 micro switches (depend on the year).
but before you waste time on troubleshooting, run a simple test.
turn your ignition key on without starting the car, and look at the dash.
if the top light doesn't com up, it might be as simple as burnt bulb.
the reason i'm saying that, is because when the microswitch goes bad, usually the top will not operate properly (depends on which switch is bad)
Q2: your spoiler lights operates as it should. the lights will come on only if the spoiler is stuck in the wrong position. if you wish to confirm its operation (without having someone driving behind you) just place a small piece of clear tape (the one you have on your office desk) and take the car for a spin.
going over 75Mph should cause the spoiler to extract and break the tape.
Edit: i just noticed that you live in london.
so you can just drive 80Mph on oxford street, and look at the shops windows. LOL!

Last edited by Meir; 09-02-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
for Q1: if the top (what you call roof) is operating fine, you have no issue.

the dash light suppose to indicate the end of the top travel both ways.

so the light will turn on during the travel of the mechanism, and will turn off once it is fully closed, or fully open (to indicate the end of the travel).

the light is controlled by 1 or 2 micro switches (depend on the year).

but before you waste time on troubleshooting, run a simple test.

turn your ignition key on without starting the car, and look at the dash.

if the top light doesn't com up, it might be as simple as burnt bulb.

the reason i'm saying that, is because when the microswitch goes bad, usually the top will not operate properly (depends on which switch is bad)

Q2: your spoiler lights operates as it should. the lights will come on only if the spoiler is stuck in the wrong position. if you wish to confirm its operation (without having someone driving behind you) just place a small piece of clear tape (the one you have on your office desk) and take the car for a spin.

going over 75Mph should cause the spoiler to extract and break the tape.

Edit: i just noticed that you live in london.

so you can just drive 80Mph on oxford street, and look at the shops windows. LOL!

Hi thanks for your help top speed in Oxford st wouldn't be more than 10mph lol
I will try the tape trick
I live on the outskirts of london so have the M1 to bomb up and down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robusto2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Looks like Meir answers your main questions. I just wanted to add, that you can add a Spoiler Indicator light to the dash. You maybe able to find the wiring online, and there was a guy who used to sell a kit on eBay.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

On the same subject, my 99 shows the spoiler light on everytime I start it and drive it for a few miles, after a few miles of driving it will turn off, opinions? it's been doing the same since I have it so it's not a big concern but just wondering
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #6

Q2: I have a spoiler light that I installed years ago, it fits into a blank switch hole, works like a bomb. Small red led, flashes when the spoiler is moving up/down and stays on when its up. Bought on e-bay.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelan View Post
On the same subject, my 99 shows the spoiler light on everytime I start it and drive it for a few miles, after a few miles of driving it will turn off, opinions? it's been doing the same since I have it so it's not a big concern but just wondering
Old thread, but my spoiler warning light does the exact same thing - turns on upon startup and stays lit for the first mile or so. Weird. Any logic to this?
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Old thread, but my spoiler warning light does the exact same thing - turns on upon startup and stays lit for the first mile or so. Weird. Any logic to this?
Don't know why it does it but it is completely normal.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:30 AM   #9

Spoiler light

I have one of those dash lights from Germany for sale on the FS thread.Never got around to installing it.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote