Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #1

FD Motorsports Fister exhaust for 986 Boxster report

I am a tinkerer and lately I have been experimenting with exhausts. I have had the following combinations of exhaust installed on my 2000 Boxster S:
  1. Stock with both sets of cats
  2. Stock with Top Speed 2nd cat delete pipes
  3. Stock pre-cats with top speed 2nd cat delete pipes and Beluga Racing Exhaust
  4. Stock pre-cats with top speed 2nd cat delete pipes and Porsche Sport Exhaust (FAIL - UPS lost my muffler, I am still holding out hope though...)
  5. Stock pre-cats with top speed 2nd cat delete pipes and Fister exhaust for Boxster

Stock with both sets of cats
Not much to say here - this is the stock configuration. It is pretty good but pretty quiet. At tracks like Laguna Seca, and in your neighborhood, they will love you.

Stock with Top Speed 2nd cat delete pipes
Just like stock but with a little more of everything. A little more sounds, a little more toughness, a little bit of burbles on overrun. Still pretty quiet.

Stock pre-cats with top speed 2nd cat delete pipes and Beluga Racing Exhaust

This was glorious! What a sound! From when you first crank it up at idle, and then when you get on it! This sounds really great. I ran this configuration at Roebling several times and I never blew sound there. They say "Sound limit of 103dB, with the allowance for vintage cars at 104dB is strictly enforced.". I'm not sure where they measure it, but I never blew it. It is light too, around 10-15 pounds lighter than the OEM 2000 Boxster S muffler.

Downside (for me) while I didn't have any "drone", it was louder in the cabin with the top and windows up, to where it was tiresome on long drives.

I wasn't going to change it, but then I scored a good deal on a Porsche Sport Exhaust and so I decided to give that a try.

One possible upside to this muffler - before installing this I consistently could hit 122 at the end of the front straight at Roebling Road Raceway (even on my very first track day I hit 122 there). After installing this muffler, I was hitting 126 almost every time with an occasional 127 and 128. This may be because I am getting faster through the final turn right before the straight. But later when a pro driver drove my car, he was 10 MPH faster coming out of that turn, and still only got up to 130. So I think I might have been getting a little more power out of this exhaust.

Stock pre-cats with top speed 2nd cat delete pipes and Porsche Sport Exhaust

Never got to try it, UPS lost the muffler. I am holding out hope that it will re-appear one day. When it does, it will be for sale. The Beluga weighed around 17-19 pounds, my OEM Exhaust was around 29-31, but I believe the PSE weighs around 60. I am not sure what all they added to give the extra 30 pounds, and while for a street car I am sure this would have minimal impact, an extra 30 pounds is not desirable for a track car.

Stock pre-cats with top speed 2nd cat delete pipes and Fister exhaust for Boxster

This led me to the point of this thread. The PSE got me thinking about other PSE type exhaust solutions like the Pedro sport exhaust, or there was someone on here selling pipes to make your own. There are also the Crios mod and Particlewave has an intriguing take on exhaust bypass as well.

I went with the Fister exhaust mostly because I wanted the ceramic coating to possibly reduce heat in the engine area, and also because I didn't want to fiddle with any drilling, etc... I had an extra set of pre-cats I got from a guy that removed them at 20,000 miles to install race headers, and while mine we still passing, they were nearing the end of life, so I decided this would be a good time to swap. I sent my "new" cats, my mid pipes, and my muffler to Darin to get the mod done and get it all coated in Titanium colored ceramic.

They look incredible! Also on the Top Speed 2nd cat delete pipes, this should help with the heat radiated out, these pipes pass close to the inner CV Boot and they also pass close to the rubber bushing on the chassis side of the rear LCA (I never realized this before). I did reinstall my heatshield armor on the mid pipes to block radiated heat away from the inner CV Boots. This isn't the best picture but you can see one edge of the shield, and also see how close it passes to the rubber LCA arm bushing. This heatshield armor is pretty easy to install with everything on the car and I have enough left over to do 2-3 more cars, PM me and I well send you some at cost (around $25-$30 to shield both CV Boots, I will have to dig up the receipt to make sure)

Edit: here is a better picture of the heatshield armor after I first installed it.

This pic is after the recent reinstall of the ceramic coated pipes.

To install the Fister exhaust, you have to cut the 2 "u" pipes that connect the muffler to the rest of the system. I don't have a picture unfortunately, but this is the part number (might be different for some years but will give you the idea: 99611131301)

These two pipes push pretty far into the muffler, and with the Fister mod, the two new pipes are in the way. And even if they weren't, you wouldn't want to block them. CrisZenithBlue has the technique - when you remove these pipes, you can see a lot of scuffs that show how far the pipe used to go. Measure how much you need to cut off using the scuffs as a guide, and then cut. I couldn't do that because my u-pipes were ceramic coated. So I just made my own measurements and a best guess of 1", which turned out to be just about right. I probably could have cut 1.25" for a better fit but it all worked out.

I got new bolts and nuts for everything, and I reused the double clamps on the end of the u-pipes, but I replaced the final clamp that connects the u-pipe to the muffler. I used these from amazon and they worked out pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00317DKWO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is all interesting... but how does it sound?

The first time I cranked it up, I was under-impressed. It sounded about the same as stock. I took it out for a nice long drive, 45 minutes to the mall to meet my family.

On the way back from the mall a few hours later, holy #$%^& it was AWESOME! I don't know if I had small exhaust leaks, and it took a heating/cooling cycle to move some things around and let the clamps settle in. Or maybe some ceramic residue or something got in the muffler and had to burn out or something. Whatever it was, it sounded awesome!

I drove back from the mall, put on my back camera, and did a little test drive:

https://youtu.be/-gRXfxJOGjU

This exhaust is quieter than the Beluga when cruising around at 2800-3000 RPM, and it is still neighborhood friendly, as long as you are easy on the gas. And if you are driving with the top and window up, it sounds about like stock unless you get on it above 3,500 RPM and up - then you can tell you have something different back there.

I also went back to Roebling after installing this, did not blow sound, and was able to get back up to 126 with an occasional 127/128 (even at the end of the day when it was hotter outside) so I don't feel like I lost any power by removing the Beluga.

Also for fun I cranked the car with just the old manifolds on before I took them off - it sounded like a boat:

https://youtu.be/z-yNEyVRoIk

This was a fair bit more expensive than the Beluga - and the extra ceramic coating on the extra parts was more than coating the muffler itself which made no sense to me, I think the company that does the ceramic charges by the foot.

End result - I have decided I hate exhaust work, and this exhaust will never be removed by me ever again. But I am happy with it, I have a great sound, noise level when cruising on the highway with the top and windows up is the same as OEM, and I didn't lose any power over the Beluga.

I would do it again if I were to ever get a new Boxster.

Steve

Last edited by steved0x; 03-06-2017 at 11:52 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #2

That sounds perfect to me. Right now I have test pipes with stock muffler and its a little quiet for my taste but the beluga was too much for me. Fister is 100% the way I would go if I were to do it all over. However, after putting the stock muffler back on I swore I would never change it again. I did it all with no jackstands and the bumper cover on. NEVER AGAIN

Glad you ended up with a setup you're happy with.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Thanks for the write-up, Steve.

I've been mulling doing the Crios mod to mine as I'm feeling a bit pathetic with how mild it sounds, especially when comparing to my mom's '06 base which has a nice bark to it.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
However, after putting the stock muffler back on I swore I would never change it again. I did it all with no jackstands and the bumper cover on. NEVER AGAIN.
I hear you! That is exactly how I felt. Although I took my bumper cover off. I can't even imagine doing it with it on (well I can now that I have r+r a muffler twice, but I sure wouldn't want to)

I also put my spoiler back on a tiny bit left of center... It is bugging me and I am going to have to fix it at some point...
Old 03-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

Sounds awesome Steve.
Funny, when I put the video on I thought your car was the one in the distance. When you fired up the motor I was thinking, " wow, way louder than the beluga".
Sounds great, congrats. Beautiful area.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #6

always a step ahead of me Steve
i went through the same exhaust mods over time while searching for that sweet spot and i was going to do a write up of the experience but never got around to it.

i'm glad you're happy with it! having the same setup i always recommend it to people.
first time i see how the coating looks and DAMN man!! it came out amazing! not gonna ask you how much you paid because i know it's a lot, i didnt go for the coating when getting my muffler done by fister due to the price but if you can spare the cash i'd say it's well worth it! good to hear that you also didnt feel any power loss compared to the beluga.

to add to Steves fister symphony here's mine at full blast as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Efeluufu8

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 03-13-2017 at 01:50 PM.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

I assume the Fister muffler is the same weight or heavier than stock muffler ? Does sound good .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #8

i believe its a bit heavier as they add the bypass pipes but not by much. as far as i know they dont mess with the internals so it's not gutted and lighter.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #9

I love this, can't wait to do the same soon. Might be a silly question but it's relevant because you brought it up. How many miles should I be at before replacing my first set of cats? I'm at 72k right now and trying to decide if I should get a new pair before doing the Fister mod.

Thanks!!
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post
I love this, can't wait to do the same soon. Might be a silly question but it's relevant because you brought it up. How many miles should I be at before replacing my first set of cats? I'm at 72k right now and trying to decide if I should get a new pair before doing the Fister mod.

Thanks!!
i'd say drive it till they go bad if they go bad.. you'll usually get a CEL if that happens, sometimes just resetting it makes it go away.

im at 135k and cats are still good. you have a lot of catching up to do my friend
storing for the winter is almost up..
Old 03-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #11

Ugh I know... driving this cruz around will be the death of me. Happy it's almost spring in Chicago... jk we're getting 4 inches of snow tonight
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:20 AM   #12

Nice sounding exhaust I like everything about it except the weight of the muffler . I too have played around with several mufflers on my car . Started with completely stock ( obviously ) then cat delete with OEM , cat delete with Dansk sausage muffler , cat delete with GHL . In my opinion out of that scenario I liked the Dansk the best .
Then when Jake built the engine I went straight headers , no cats and the GHL and it really screamed . Very aggressive but a little on the loud side with slight drone like most two can mufflers are . I purchased and installed Car Chemistry muffler inserts ( twin disc ) into each tailpipe outlet pipe . I also wrapped the perforated pipe between the two discs with SS wool . It took the resonance away and a little bit of the bark . We made 280 h.p. at the wheels so it flows pretty good .

Jake stated more power could be made but would have to basically be a straight exhaust and for street driver not practical . So for now I have what I consider the best all around for my situation . In the air cooled 911 community there is an aftermarket muffler manufacturer known as M & K . Company was started by an aircraft exhaust guy and he ventured out to 911 and 914/6 arena . Single can mufflers made of 321 SS they are lightweight and free flowing.

About a year ago I sent an email to the company asking if they had any interest in venturing out to the 986/996 line of cars . Received an email back stating they were considering it but I never checked back . I know I would be interested if/when they come out with a muffler . I owned two of them one on my 911 SC the other on my 914 GT clone with a 3.0 911 SC motor and I loved the sound AND the lightweight .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .

Last edited by rfuerst911sc; 11-01-2017 at 03:53 PM.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Pathological Tinkerer

Steve,

Do you know what the OD of the Fister bypass pipe is?
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #14

Clearly I'm old. After 15 years of having a Monza exhaust on my MGB (PO put it on) I am so done with not being able to hear myself think. I love that my 986 is quiet and when I put the boots into it, I hear a growl. And don't get me started on these punk kids and their soup-can exhausts attached to their rice-burners .... ugh.

But I'm sure this one'll sound nice!
Old 10-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Carfahrer View Post
Steve,

Do you know what the OD of the Fister bypass pipe is?
I don't unfortunately but I can measure next time I get a chance.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #16

I've had 2 different versions of Fister mufflers on my 993, can't say enough good about dealing with FD Motorsports or the quality / performance of all of their products.

P.S. Steve, I also have an NB that's a twin to yours (Emerald Green Mica and Tan top and leather interior), that car is a total blast to drive........

Last edited by coreseller; 11-01-2017 at 01:13 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:06 AM   #17

Great write up Steve. Thanks for sharing. From my end, I am loving the Beluga you sold me. If there is any drone, I think I like it. It's my warning that the party is getting started around 3k. 👍
Take care.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I've had 2 different versions of Fister mufflers on my 993, can't say enough good about dealing with FD Motorsports or the quality / performance of all of their products.

P.S. Steve, I also have an NB that's a twin to yours (Emerald Green Mica and Tan top and leather interior), that car is a total blast to drive........
We ended up trading it in on a Toyota Avalon, it was for our daughter and she just wouldn't drive it... She has probably put 5,000 miles on the Avalon already, and I don't think she put even 1,000 on that Miata It was automatic or I would have kept it for myself Even with automatic it was a blast to drive, I took it to a new parking lot that had been recently repaved and it was sooo easy to slide around!

Edit: If you ever need to get a family cruiser, be sure to ask your insurance agent for a quote a head of time, that Avalon, even though it is a 2007, was twice as much to insure as the other main family car, a 2007 Toyota FJ, which is worth much more than the Avalon. My theory is that a lot of very elderly people like the Avalon and so maybe they crash it a lot?
Old 11-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
We ended up trading it in on a Toyota Avalon, it was for our daughter and she just wouldn't drive it... She has probably put 5,000 miles on the Avalon already, and I don't think she put even 1,000 on that Miata It was automatic or I would have kept it for myself Even with automatic it was a blast to drive, I took it to a new parking lot that had been recently repaved and it was sooo easy to slide around!

Edit: If you ever need to get a family cruiser, be sure to ask your insurance agent for a quote a head of time, that Avalon, even though it is a 2007, was twice as much to insure as the other main family car, a 2007 Toyota FJ, which is worth much more than the Avalon. My theory is that a lot of very elderly people like the Avalon and so maybe they crash it a lot?
Funny you mention that. We had a 2014 Avalon Hybrid which was ridiculous to insure. We then got an 2018 Audi A5 which is almost 1/2 the amount...go figure
gqllc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
Certified Boxster Addict

Nice write up Steve! This is will be a popular post for a lot of people in the future.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote