Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

Potential owner 2001 2.7 boxster

I am 24 years old and am a slightly inclined mechanic. My uncle is willing to sell me a 2001 Porsche Boxster non S. 50k miles Florida kept car. I will be taking it to Florida as he is willing to take half of what it’s worth. Not sure yet of the work done but it was purchased from a Porsche dealer by himself. This is not my most daily driven car so reliability isn’t my priority but I do want to really enjoy the car and I love modifying. Things I’m asking are what’s the best moderate priced exhaust? What are some good cheap mods to do. I’m not aiming for crazy power it’s a stock 2.7

Escott1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:59 AM   #2

forget about "potential owner" and just snatch it! especially at a discount from family

once an owner, leave all dreams of making power at the door. you can make it breathe a bit better but getting any serious power out of these engines is costly and makes reliability worse.

you can however get some really nice sound out of it. for exhaust i recommend the "Pedro" mod which is basically a bypass on the OEM muffler. Also, remove the second set of catalytic converters so you get better flow, more noise and some nice crackle and pops on overrun. If you google it or search the forum you'll find plenty of info. You can also send me a PM on here, happy to help if you go down that way. I'm in Miami if you're coming down to S FL.

I have the Fister mod (similar to Pedro mod) + replacing second set of cats with Top Speed cat delete pipes (you can put any kind of cheap pipes, these were about $150) and this is how it sounds on my car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Efeluufu8&feature=youtu.be

I have a 2000 2.7l so it's the same as your car.

The cheapest exhaust mod is prob the Top Speed (or similar) exhaust for about $300, and again i would recommend doing second cat delete. Some people have that exhaust and are happy with it. Personally i had bad experience with it, i went through 2 of them in 2 months and they both started to rattle and had a bit of drone, they are really light. Maybe i got a couple of duds..

I think Pedro mod + cat delete is the sweet spot moneywise and soundwise. I believe there was a guy on the forum that sold the already cut bypass pipes, you'd just go to a muffler shop and have them weld them on.

Good luck with it!

Cristian
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:38 AM   #3

If I am reading you correctly, around $5000 for a 50k Boxster sounds good. I agree with Cristian. Snatch it up. Many here prefer the 2.7 to all other 986 models. We need pics.
willw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #4

The cars from Florida and is kept covered
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2021, 06:28 AM   #5

Dang! She's a looker! Hop on the Porsche train already!
Old 01-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #6

Yes! 5K is a steal for that! Do it!

Exhaust mods are easy and cheapish depending on what you go with. I just wrote up my experience on a thread started by farmlifer. Just understand that all exhaust mods cause drone, it's all about what you're willing to accept. Desnorkeling is the one thing that you can do to improve sound with no drawbacks that I see.

Minor performance improvements are relatively straightforward but no earth shattering. Underdrive pulley is probably the one that actually works to gain a few high end horses. Intake mods are easy as long as you don't change MAF body housing size. T160 tempostat change makes my engine run cooler, but that is a debated topic.

You'll find that maintenance on these cars can be challenging but if you can turn a wrench then just study this forum and you can fix just about anything. The one thing worth mentioning here is the IMSB. The forum is full of info in that, make sure you read that carefully before buying. Also, if it hasn't been done already, expect an extensive overhaul of the suspension. German rubber is uber strong, but 20 years old is 20 years old and I thinkost guys wind up replacing about everything rubber on the car during the first few years of ownership. Barring any major mechanical problems, it will probably drive like new with a little love! And just remember, she'll thank you for driving like you stole it

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #7

He bought it from a Porsche dealer and they checked everything including the ims and everything checked out. He had shoulder surgery right after purchasing it so he’s only put a few hundred miles on it in the past few years. I would most likely daily drive this in nice weather and I’m more of a spirited driver so I like a nice exhaust and alittle power. I want something that sounds great but isn’t obnoxious or has a horrible drone. I imagine right away I would desnorkal and an exhaust option I’m thinking is the circuit werks cat back and the circuit werks cat bypass, is this too loud? I don’t want to sound like the kids in the civics but I still want to hear it
Old 01-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #8

I tried that same exhaust setup. It was LOUD. Don't get me wrong, it sounded crazy at high rpms, but it droned quite a bit while cruising, which kind of ruined it for me. Some people on here have that setup and love it, and I suppose it really comes down to personal preference and individual tolerances, but for me it was too much. Currently, I am using the stock muffler with cat bypass pipes.

If it were me, I would stick to an exhaust that is one large muffler (like OEM), such as the FVD or Dansk. The aftermarket designs that keep the exhaust gases from each cylinder bank separate tend to be the ones with droning issues. It seems that the mixture of each stream in one common muffler is what cancels out those unwanted frequencies.

But again, it really comes down to what you're after!
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
I tried that same exhaust setup. It was LOUD. Don't get me wrong, it sounded crazy at high rpms, but it droned quite a bit while cruising, which kind of ruined it for me. Some people on here have that setup and love it, and I suppose it really comes down to personal preference and individual tolerances, but for me it was too much. Currently, I am using the stock muffler with cat bypass pipes.

If it were me, I would stick to an exhaust that is one large muffler (like OEM), such as the FVD or Dansk. The aftermarket designs that keep the exhaust gases from each cylinder bank separate tend to be the ones with droning issues. It seems that the mixture of each stream in one common muffler is what cancels out those unwanted frequencies.

But again, it really comes down to what you're after!
How’s it sound with just the cat bypass? When looking for videos online will the 3.2 sound close to the 2.7?
Old 01-18-2021, 02:28 PM   #10

The 2.7 and 3.2 sound more or less the same. With just the cat bypass the car is a slight bit louder with more rasp.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escott1622 View Post
How’s it sound with just the cat bypass? When looking for videos online will the 3.2 sound close to the 2.7?
I got your PM and tried to answer there but system says you cant receive messages or chose not to receive. Maybe there's a time limit until you can get them since you're a new user, per forum rules?

Anyway, I types a long response so PM me your email and i'll send it there.

Cheers,

Cristian
Old 01-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
I got your PM and tried to answer there but system says you cant receive messages or chose not to receive. Maybe there's a time limit until you can get them since you're a new user, per forum rules?

Anyway, I types a long response so PM me your email and i'll send it there.

Cheers,

Cristian
Sent pm on here. Not sure about messeging limits