Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #1

Opinion on this Strut Brace!!

Just looking for some input on this front strut brace..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-986-996-BOXSTER-CARBON-FIBER-FRONT-STRUT-BRACE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33591QQitemZ80769 37405QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thanks
Mike

99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #2

Looks like a direct copy of the Evolution Motorsports braces.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #3

Hi,

This ain't rocket science. One Brace should be about as good as another. That said, some of these Braces have had poorly designed brackets which don't necessarily match up to the strut studs without considerable effort. Another difference would be the strength of the crossbar - there's Carbon Fibre and then there's Carbon Fibre, it isn't all as strong as steel. Only if the Bar was designed and built with sufficient CF layers will it be strong enough not to deflect, or in the case of CF, form stress cracks where it mates with the bracket.

Since this one is 80% the cost of a name brand one (Evolution, Racing Dynamics, etc.), to me at least, it could turn out to be a false economy if any of the things I've mentioned turn out to be the case and isn't cheap enough (say were it 50% or so) to run the risk...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #4

Don't waste your money on a strut brace. Some feel they are worth the money because they spent money on them. I can tell you that I have put them on lots of different cars that don't handle anywhere near as good as a boxster and they didn't make any difference at all. On a car as sharp as a boxster the difference would be even smaller than a regular car that would benefit from tuing the suspension over the soft stock setup.

Anybody who says it really did make their car faster is likely right, but only because their wallet is lighter reducing the overall weight of the car lol.

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={088B74B4-0905-45BD-BFC8-6103F8F577BE}

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9424
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Don't waste your money on a strut brace. Some feel they are worth the money because they spent money on them. I can tell you that I have put them on lots of different cars that don't handle anywhere near as good as a boxster and they didn't make any difference at all. On a car as sharp as a boxster the difference would be even smaller than a regular car that would benefit from tuing the suspension over the soft stock setup.

Anybody who says it really did make their car faster is likely right, but only because their wallet is lighter reducing the overall weight of the car lol.

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={088B74B4-0905-45BD-BFC8-6103F8F577BE}

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9424
Hi,

I respect your opinion on a lot of topics here, but on this one I totally disagree. Not only does a strut brace on the Boxster improve the handling (not to any stellar degree, but enough to be noticeable and called better), but it increases the chassis rigidity, eliminating a number of squeaks, rattles and cowl shake.

I too have used strut braces on numerous cars I have owned, and I have had mixed results. But, these were mostly coupes and any benefit (if any) was miniscule. So, I will concede that they do not automatically make a difference, but every car is different and some do benefit from them.

On the Boxster, it does make a difference which I believe exceeds it's cost. The majority of those who have added them have found them to be worthwhile, and it's not just a placebo effect, it does improve the Car. Adding a Front Brace makes a big improvement, adding the Rear Brace improves it more, but not as much as the Front. I am not a Strut Brace Fanatic, that is, I do not add them to every car I own, in fact, the Boxster is the only one of my 6 current cars which has them.

A convertible is inherently less rigid than a coupe, even the Boxster. Anything you can do to improve this, even a little, is worth it. Try one and tell me I'm wrong...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I respect your opinion on a lot of topics here, but on this one I totally disagree. Not only does a strut brace on the Boxster improve the handling (not to any stellar degree, but enough to be noticeable and called better), but it increases the chassis rigidity, eliminating a number of squeaks, rattles and cowl shake.
This is the primary reason I want the breace to increase the chassis rigidity.. I would imagine handling is improved in extreme conditions, but on day to day driving I doubt there is a significant difference, as the box is so well tuned.

Thanks for the opinions guys.. keep em coming

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Boxster-MK
This is the primary reason I want the breace to increase the chassis rigidity.. I would imagine handling is improved in extreme conditions, but on day to day driving I doubt there is a significant difference, as the box is so well tuned.

Thanks for the opinions guys.. keep em coming

Mike
I'm on the fence on this one. I've installed both front and rear braces. It seems like there is less creaking in the dashboard when going up the curb in my driveway but I don't notice anything in spirited driving.

I was in awe when I installed a front brace on my Rx-7 and immediately noticed an improvement in steering and chassis responsiveness.

There wasn't anything close to that kind of an improvement in my Boxster. Although I'm not really surprised as it's already got triangulation between the struts and the firewall in the front of the car.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #8

I bought the same style front strut from maxspeed motorsports and the installation was relatively simple and there was a difference, not a huge difference but a difference. I've had it on for about a year and no signs of stress fractures atleast what I can see.
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #9

I added a front brace to my 987 to reduce cowl flex and reduce squeaks and rattles in the long run, particularly since I track my car.

While the boxster shows little cowl shake, I believe it feels a little tighter on speed bumps, driveways, etc.

I added a brace to an M version 2000 Z3 and the difference was night and day in flex! 2002 M3 Cab came with one.

I personally don't expect an advantage in handling, but if I get one than it's a bonus.

Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote