Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
What is this top strap for?...

I've had an 03 top with glass on my 986 for many years. About 6 months ago, I noticed a Velcro strap on the frame/top fabric broke off from the fabric side, so I just undid the velcro from the metal bar and removed it. I've read that this strap is supposed to ensure that top neatly tucks under the plastic rails when closed. Well, I notice no problems with my top closing at all, even with the strap off, so what is that Velcro strap really for? It can't be there for nothing, but yet I see no negative effects of not having it there. On one site, I read that the strap helps keep the back of the top from moving backward when folding down, but I checked the top's position while putting my top down in various points, and both left and right sides were positioned identical. I was going to sew the strap back to the top, but it doesn't look easy to do, and I don't see a point for it now. What is that strap for? Anyone know? Thx.

Side with strap still attached:

Side with strap off:

Both sides folding down identically, even though one side doesn't have that strap:

Top closes correctly on each side, with top tucked in nicely under plastic rail:

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #2

I think they help the top stow properly when folded and help the plastic coated wire bead to seat into the hard plastic folding frame over the top of the door window when the top goes up. They seem to come off a lot of Boxsters. Both of mine came off a few years ago and I sewed them back in by hand, what a pain in the @$$ to push the needle through the canvas and the plastic edge of that beading. A lot of folks leave them off after they come off without any ill consequences.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I think they help the top stow properly when folded and help the plastic coated wire bead to seat into the hard plastic folding frame over the top of the door window when the top goes up. They seem to come off a lot of Boxsters. Both of mine came off a few years ago and I sewed them back in by hand, what a pain in the @$$ to push the needle through the canvas and the plastic edge of that beading. A lot of folks leave them off after they come off without any ill consequences.
Thanks for the feedback Paul. I looked at where the strap is connected to the top, and you're right....it looks really tough to get that sucker sewn back in, and with my fat fingers, I'd end up making a mess of the top I think! I think as long as my top opens and closes fine, I'll just leave it off then, as I don't see how my top operates any different on the side that is missing the strap at all.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote