Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Radiator system

Just wanted to pass on the latest info (for me at least) re: replacement coolant reservoir for the Boxster. Maybe help a future DIYer.
The usual difficulty in getting the old one out. You really do have to remove the transmission cover panel and the sway bar (but that's just to get the panel out). Then you can fight with those hard to reach tension clips to release the oil filler tube and two coolant lines.
Then it gets interesting. I ordered a replacement reservoir off of Ebay. Not a Porsche one but just one - would have to look up who exactly. Couple of things.
1. the hole for the dipstick was not drilled. had to do it myself. try to do it by hand. The plastic is very soft. A one inch drill gets going pretty fast and makes the hole a bit ragged. It will work but I can see the "non professionalism" of the job.
2. The little thermostatic plug in the bottom did not fit. Note the size of the plastic on the old one very carefully. I had to sand it down where it twists onto just a little bit - maybe a 32nd of an inch. And then had to use a thin knife to clean up the sleeves where the two tips twist into. It was just a little off and the unit would not go in. Wasn't too bad, but do not try to force twist that piece into place. it will snap. It obviously wasn't OEM and it was just not exact. Not a crisis but be forewarned.
3. Whoever designed this setup needs to be beaten with a stick. Of course during all of this I had to break off one of the tips (trunk side) that the rubber hose clamps onto. Had to take the whole thing out and drill a 9/16ths hole in stead. Got a hose barb to connect the two hose pieces and just made it fit. Somebody had already done that and shown how to do it, so it wasn't too bad. but still a real pain.

Then it was just putting it all back together. Changing a reservoir in virtually any car is maybe a 30 minute job. With the Boxster it was about 4 hours. Plus waiting 3 weeks for the part.

Last observation is that when I removed the transmission cover panel there must have been at least 50 small pieces of gravel just sitting in the pan. Rocks from the size of a dime to a quarter. i guess just trash picked up over the years. Were they rattling? Will the car be quieter now? Will be interesting to see. maybe something to check every couple of years.

Very last thing is to put the bumper back on ( took it off to clean the radiators) but I've decided to put screens over the air vents so that will also take a couple of days. It sounds logical for the long haul. maybe next weekend I might actually drive it.

Last edited by ray_pilot; 02-25-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: grammar
ray_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #2

Totally agree that it is a real PITA job. I took about 3 1/2 hours to get the old one out and about the same to put the new one in. I was, however, able to do the job from the top and didn't need to remove the pan or swaybar. My remote hose clamp tool paid for itself that day.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

Just removed my front bumper for a respray and I cleaned condesors and radiators also. Used a mild degreaser. A year ago I removed the bumper as the car was new to me to clean the debris and bunch of crap. I put about 3k on it the past year and a few leaves and dirt but nothing like the first time. It helps that it's a sunny day toy and not driven in rain, etc. Winter conditions in the NE limit my use in the winter. My coolant tank is still original, dreading the job when I need to replace.

marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote