Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #21

Boxsters with "TC" (the more primitive traction control up through about 2001?) have what is called "ABD" or "Active Brake Differential" and "ASR" or "Anti Slip Regulation"

It sux for track driving, once you get to where you are picking up speed it will intervene every single time you go into a corner near the limit and you can feel the gas cutting out, the brakes clicking, etc... I think this is intended to be like an LSD, and while I don't have much experience driving an LSD car on the track, I am guessing it ain't like this ABD and ASR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley Manual
Available as an option through the 2000 model year, ABS/TC 5.3 is
an extension to the basic Porsche ABS system with the added
feature of traction control. The traction control system is made up of
two sub-systems, Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) and Anti Slip
Regulation (ASR).

Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) functions similar to a locking or
limited slip differential to help the vehicle retain traction. Uslng the
ABS wheel speed sensors to detect wheel spin during acceleration,
the ABS control module will pulse the hydraulic pressure line of the
brake caliper of the spinning wheel to assist the vehicle in gaining
traction.

If ABD intervention is not enough to regain traction, the ABS/TC
system will employ Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR). ASR adjusts fuel
Injector cycles and retards Ignition timing to reduce engine torque.
When the Traction Control system is operational, the indicator lamp
on Instrument panel is illuminated.

The traction control function can be disabled by means of the TC Off
switch located on the center console. If the TC system is
switched off, the TC warning lamps in the instrument panel and the
TC Off switch are illuminated.

NOTE- ABD remains active until vehicle speed reaches 62.5 miles per
hour, even if the TC system is turned off.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I love my Guard torque biasing diff.
I love my OS Giken LSD

Specially because it also locks the differential during hard braking.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Agree. Very, very rare.

G8600-001 = 5 speed gearbox for 1997 - 1999
G8601-001 = 5 speed gearbox for 2000 - 2004
-001 is non-limited slip differential (LSD)
-002 is for the LSD
have you seen others? i can't help but think that the existence of a numbering system for something is not proof that something exists. the -001 and -002 are probably a porsche standard that they apply to all transmissions, regardless of whether the option is actually available. willh has the only -002 i've ever heard of, and he notes that it doesn't behave like an lsd, so perhaps an error in numbering? otherwise it would be worth it's weight in gold to a spec racer, yes (anything OEM is allowed)?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #24

You guys are getting me all excited and "needing" an LSD.

There is a thread on rennlist about an $850 group buy for a 996 Helical LSD that seems like it would be very similar to a 986 Boxster LSD:

Anyone interested in a MFactory Made in USA LSD for 996 group buy for $850? - Rennlist Discussion Forums

That pricing drops it down almost into "why not" territory...
Old 02-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
have you seen others? i can't help but think that the existence of a numbering system for something is not proof that something exists. the -001 and -002 are probably a porsche standard that they apply to all transmissions, regardless of whether the option is actually available. willh has the only -002 i've ever heard of, and he notes that it doesn't behave like an lsd, so perhaps an error in numbering? otherwise it would be worth it's weight in gold to a spec racer, yes (anything OEM is allowed)?
I have not personally ever seen a -002 myself, just heard on rare occasions people speak of them or claims to that effect. It could very well be a "bigfoot" phenomena (everyone has heard of one but no one has ever produced a body!).

Currently, the Spec Boxster rules only specify the G86/00 transmission and there is no mention of the LSD option. Elsewhere in the rules it states that the only changes allowed are those explicitly mentioned in the rules (if its not in the rules, its presumably illegal). Thus, I am sure a Spec Boxster running a stock LSD would be quickly protested.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I have not personally ever seen a -002 myself, just heard on rare occasions people speak of them or claims to that effect. It could very well be a "bigfoot" phenomena (everyone has heard of one but no one has ever produced a body!).
You are not the only one. Much like some other "phantom options" listed by Porsche (like the factory cell phone, which we only ever saw once, and that was in a car driven by a factory rep), we have never seen one either, only aftermarket units.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #27

So if -002 isn't lsd, what is it?
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I love my Guard torque biasing diff.
I like mine too.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
You guys are getting me all excited and "needing" an LSD.

There is a thread on rennlist about an $850 group buy for a 996 Helical LSD that seems like it would be very similar to a 986 Boxster LSD:

Anyone interested in a MFactory Made in USA LSD for 996 group buy for $850? - Rennlist Discussion Forums

That pricing drops it down almost into "why not" territory...
At that price, it does make it very attractive. BUT that group buy is from April 2016 and looks to be dead now.
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijinn View Post
At that price, it does make it very attractive. BUT that group buy is from April 2016 and looks to be dead now.
Yeah, they never sent in a transaxle (or just the diff) to the manufacturer to use for developing the LSD. I contacted them and they said we could do a group buy here, same conditions, they would need 10 orders at $850 and we would have to send them the OEM diff from the desired model (3.2 6 speed, 2.7 5 speed, or 2.5 5 speed). Naturally I am interested in the 3.2 6 speed model They would provide whoever runs the group buy with a free LSD. If it were me I would pass that along to everybody and collect 11 orders at $775 plus whatever it costs to obtain the OEM diff and send to them (maybe one could be rented from Woody or someone that has a transmission laying around)

From reading some of the other threads, it sounds like install is not an easy DIY and there are some adjustments or something that need to be made when installing it...

If someone wants to run this group buy I can supply the contact info for the company.

Edit: isn't the 986 S transmission the same as the 996 transmission (although something has to be different since they turn the wheels in a different direction?). If the diff is the same maybe we could jump on that 996 group buy and get it moving again?

Last edited by steved0x; 02-23-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #31

i am interested too. however, and i am fearful to say this as it will most likely turn into an LSD vs ATB (or wavetrac) discussion but ... is it an LSD? looks more like a torsen/automatic torque biasing differential than an lsd, so begs the question - does it lock on braking, or if one wheel is off the ground? apparently the wavetrac atb has some features of an lsd while still having the low-maintenance aspects of an atb. real-deal lsds are in the +$2k range (eric has good pricing on a plate LSD here but still $1k more that this group buy) but you can get an atb in the $1300 range - still more expensive than the group buy, but a proven track record is something to consider given the significant cost of install.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/62603-anyone-need-new-os-giken-lsd.html
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #32

It is a helical gear design and I think it said both wheels have to be on the ground for it to work. Didn't say if it worked under braking or not.

More info: MFactory Competition Products - Performance Driveline Components
Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #33

Mine not a 1 or 2 but a 10. This is confusing.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #34

I purposely looked for a 2.7 car without the TC - as it was an early and awkward system.
But looking at the 002 on the label it looks like I have an LSD. I drive a lot of twisties and it feels like a standard LSD. (I have driven the same roads in a non LSD car and know how they feel).
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:01 AM   #35

I know they say the 6 speed is an open dif, but my box always spins both wheels. If I take off fast, my rear end starts swinging out to the sides every time. In fact, I have to be careful if I'm taking off and turning at the same time as my rear always wants to swing around.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Yeah, they never sent in a transaxle (or just the diff) to the manufacturer to use for developing the LSD. I contacted them and they said we could do a group buy here, same conditions, they would need 10 orders at $850 and we would have to send them the OEM diff from the desired model (3.2 6 speed, 2.7 5 speed, or 2.5 5 speed). Naturally I am interested in the 3.2 6 speed model They would provide whoever runs the group buy with a free LSD. If it were me I would pass that along to everybody and collect 11 orders at $775 plus whatever it costs to obtain the OEM diff and send to them (maybe one could be rented from Woody or someone that has a transmission laying around)

From reading some of the other threads, it sounds like install is not an easy DIY and there are some adjustments or something that need to be made when installing it...

If someone wants to run this group buy I can supply the contact info for the company.

Edit: isn't the 986 S transmission the same as the 996 transmission (although something has to be different since they turn the wheels in a different direction?). If the diff is the same maybe we could jump on that 996 group buy and get it moving again?
The only transmission I can keep on the shelves is the 2.7 5 speed. As far as I know the 986 and 996 6 speed transmissions are mostly the same. I have a 996 6 speed in pieces. Let me know what you need from that trans
Old 02-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #37

Anyone know what G8620-10 is? I googled and came up with nothing. Could my sticker be a misprint?
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #38
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I see this was asked in other threads (because I searched) but there doesn't appear to be an answer. My 2003 S has a 'G8620-103' which is a six speed, but what does the '103' mean? I know '001' is non LSD and '002' is LSD. I see no info or reference to '103' anywhere.

Thanks.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I see this was asked in other threads (because I searched) but there doesn't appear to be an answer. My 2003 S has a 'G8620-103' which is a six speed, but what does the '103' mean? I know '001' is non LSD and '002' is LSD. I see no info or reference to '103' anywhere.

Thanks.
you found the photos in this thread ?
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/47018-gearbox-code-numbers.html
&
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/59344-gearbox-8620-1003-boxtser-s-04-2003-a.html
see "Varianten Index" in the post by Smallblock
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #40
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Yes I saw all the pictures in this thread and the reference made by 'Smallblock' in the other thread. The search function found it all like it should. However, it still doesn't explain what the '103' means. I see the 'VARIENTENINDEX' is '1' and the 'ZAEHLNUMMER' is '3'. Although I own a Porsche I don't actually speak German but the former translates to 'Variant Index' and the latter 'Count Number'. Still quite meaningless even in English.

So, what does it mean?

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote