986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is it worth repairing this crashed Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65491)

986repair 02-20-2017 02:02 AM

Is it worth repairing this crashed Boxster?

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a crashed 986 to do the repairs myself - saving a bit of money as well as gaining more experience working on cars.

So before taking the plunge I wanted to consult you guys, the experts on 986's.

The Car in question is a 2002 2.7 Boxster with ~53000 Miles (87000 km).

I wrote down the parts I think would be needed to repair the car: goo.gl/6ZTF4n

See the damage from these pictures: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Does this calculation make any sense? Do you guys see any damage that I didn't list?
Of course I would visit the car in person before buying. Please share your thoughts, It would really help a lot!

Last but not least I should probably clarify that I'm not solely motivated by saving money as I enjoy working on cars in my spare time. Also I'm confident that I could do all the necessary work by myself. So I'm not solely motivated by saving money - I just wouldn't want to spend more than what the car's worth.

Thank you!

DWBOX2000 02-20-2017 09:08 AM

I'll bite. What does it look like in the frunk under the liner? Can the car be aligned? It looks like the owner drove under something which is probably better than driving into.
It looks like a new hood and lights would work Bumper looks ok. No expert, not even a sub pert. Guess.

BoxsterSteve 02-20-2017 10:16 AM

Here's why it hasn't been fixed through insurance:
Two deployed air bags... this one is the biggest reason
Interior parts to repair deployed air bags
Hood
Headlights
Headlight brackets
Bumper cover
Hood crest
Prep and paint to refinish

And the potential damage you can't see without taking it apart:
Damaged radiator(s)
Damaged AC condensor(s)
Damaged bumper rebar
Damaged bumper shocks
Damage to fenders that has to be repaired
Entire front of the tub may need time on a body shop rack to pull it straight

At 86k, it could need a clutch too, and who knows if the IMS bearing has been addressed.
And it's a 15 year old car.
Are you really willing to do all that work and have a vehicle with a branded ownership that you couldn't sell if you had to?
Low mileage or not, it's not worth the work.
I'd have to get it for free to remotely consider.
There are too many good uncrashed Boxster out there to choose from to undertake this amount of effort.

78F350 02-20-2017 11:39 AM

I've done it a couple times with Boxsters and many times with other cars. Having a wrecked car that was purchased specifically as a parts car made it a lot more affordable. It is not a great way to make money, but if you don't count your time as an expense it can pay for itself. I do it because I like the challenge and education. I also enjoy driving the cars.

If I was looking at the numbers you list, I would not take on that project. That's just based on my local market and how much money I consider expendable.
Sometimes I get lucky and a car is in much better shape than I expected. Sometimes there is hidden damage or faults that make a project futile. If your rebuild stalls or fails, how deep a hole are you going to be in? Can you easily part it out or resell it at a satisfactory price?

For you it may make good sense based on your local parts availability and car market. Another consideration is your local laws and regulations concerning a salvaged car. Here in Oklahoma it is very simple. There is no inspection or repair requirement for a car that is over 10 years old. Many places are a lot more strict.

It could be a nice car again. I would start by offering MUCH less for the initial purchase and expect to walk away without the car.

WorkInProgressK 02-20-2017 11:52 AM

Isn't someone parting out a 2.7 boxster with a rod knock on the forum? Swapping engine over would save 1 out of two cars.

mikefocke 02-20-2017 12:02 PM

I did that. Drove into the rear bumper of a pickup truck. They stopped estimating at $26k and totaled the car. Now granted I was dealing with a high end repair shop and living in a high cost area and paying to have the work done. The first thing you need to do is deal with the frame and any such issues.

After my accident, I mentally estimated $3k. But you could see where the doors had been driven back against the rear body structure by the chipped paint. Which means the frame flexed and the future crashworthiness of the car was compromised. And, BTW, my airbags didn't deploy.

They put the car on a laser frame alignment machine and had values for the car and the car was bent. So a new front clip would have had to be put on or the frame straightened. Some parts, once deformed, don't have the same cushioning effect in the next crash

Mine looked like your picture.

Some salvaged P-cars at https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction?make%5B%5D=porsche&vtype%5B%5D=car

Terryg 02-20-2017 12:52 PM

So, pretty much the same answers as on the other forum, I bet he does it!

78F350 02-20-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terryg (Post 527819)
So, pretty much the same answers as on the other forum, I bet he does it!

It's never fun to be told "No.", but it can be a disaster to not hear it said.

Here's the link for anyone else who's curious:
Should I buy a crashed porsche boxster? - 986 - www.BoXa.net

rexcramer 02-20-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 527795)
There are too many good uncrashed Boxster out there to choose from to undertake this amount of effort.

+1 boxstersteve

I would suggest your time is better spent driving instead of wrenching.

jvfante 02-20-2017 08:09 PM

Don't do it!

I was thinking you were getting this hulk for $1000. For the cost of this wrecked car, $7300, you can find a good running low-mileage Boxster without any of this damage or the salvage title.

Check prices on CL, Ebay and Autotrader, and don't be in a hurry. Even a flight to LA, FL or Texas would save you money and you'll be happier with one that is not a salvage title.

And don't worry, you'll have plenty of wrench time with a "good condition" car, just give it six months and you'll be doing the brakes, maybe the suspension, a new top, new tunes, maybe a clutch and fixing all the little gremlins so common to these cars.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Gelbster 02-21-2017 08:13 AM

Consider it a parts car and then figure out what you could bid. $1000 ,as previously suggested is about right ! Sorry but this is a bad business.

rp17 02-21-2017 09:00 AM

Sorry little off topic but this one from Mike's site is just insane.

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/cars/porsche/cayenne/2012-porsche-cayenne-1531015

Parting out!!:eek::eek::eek:

boxxster 02-21-2017 09:14 AM

Yeah 7k seems like way too much for that car. I paid less for my car and its a newer S that had lower miles and less damage. There are deals out there if you are patient and know where to look. Definitely wouldn't pay much more than a grand or two for that one.

thstone 02-21-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 527804)
... if you don't count your time as an expense it can pay for itself.

^^^ What he said ^^^

If your time is free and its a hobby project and you can take a risk financially, then yes. If you expect or need to make a profit, then no.

Boxy_02 02-21-2017 03:09 PM

Too much money for that!

clickman 02-22-2017 03:27 PM

I agree that $7k is ludicrous for a car in that condition. In North America. I'm not sure where the OP is located, but by the pics it looks like Germany. Are smashed up Boxsters really worth that much there?

bwdz 02-23-2017 05:16 AM

7k is what that car is worth, maybe, after it is fixed. Cars that have been in collisions, even minor, never bring full value. Fixing a car "properly" is not easy and it is rarely done as most people skip steps or don't bother with a factory paint and use something from the local paint store. Parts that have bondo are not as nice as all metal and bondo will crack eventually.

bwdz 02-23-2017 05:21 AM

One other thing to add, cars that need work sell for pennies on the dollar. I bought my 97 with 64k on it for under 3k. The top needed the arm to make it function and it had a scuff on the passenger side, the PO did not want to pay to have the top repaired so sold it cheap. I was able to buff out the scuffs as it only damaged the clearcoat and fix the top for $60. The car came with a hard top and an extra set of wheels which I have sold so now I have a low mile car for around $1500.

san rensho 02-23-2017 01:04 PM

You can buy a very nice 2002, that has been well maintained for less than $9,000. I wouldn't ever take a chance on repairing this car. Look at the liners in the front, they have popped, that means that the frame is probably bent.

AndyA6 02-24-2017 05:48 AM

Guys, this is in Germany..... A little different in pricing I guess.

Looks fixable but what is the hidden damage??