Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #1

Looking at a '99, what do you guys think?

Hey guys, so I've been patiently searching for a Porsche and think I have found the one for me. Its a silver 1999 model with 83k miles and looks to be in good condition. They just recently had the water pump replaced and some other maintenance done. The only current issue is that the fuel gauge doesn't always work according to the owner. I checked the car Carfax report and it is clean with only three owners. The last two were family members and it has been owned by them for almost 15 years. They also have every record and maintenance receipt which is very nice! He is asking $7,500.

Anyway, it appeared to drive nice and I didn't notice any issues. I tried all the controls and made sure everything was working except the top since it was a little cold this morning and I'll have the shop check it tomorrow. I didn't notice any leaks while driving it around for a while either. I went ahead and scheduled a PPI tomorrow at Drive European in Falls Church and if all that goes well, hopefully I'll have a new to me Boxster!

If any of you guys have any advice or input based on what I've described so far, let me know what you think!

Mr Flat Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #2

Sounds like you have it covered. The PPI at a reputable shop is the key piece, and since you have that all lined up, should be good to go. Their report will help you determine if you want to go through with it, and if you do, what some of your first few projects will be.

Good luck with that - hope it turns out well for you!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

Thanks Giller! I'll definitely keep this thread updated with whatever happens.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #4

Garage
I have a 99, Arctic Silver, Boxster Red interior, black top. Check that both cooling fans work, high and low speeds. Pedros garage has a DIY by making a jumper and removing the relays. Early cars have issue with water getting into the brake booster. If this is an issue the brake booster needs to be replaced and there is a retro kit to replace the 2 piece bellows connected to the firewall and the brake booster. I had to do this on my car, fun job! Make sure the top goes up and down smoothly, there is a small switch under the e brake handle, the switch costs about $6 over time they get caked up with dust and other debris, not too difficult to fix. The grommets holding the horn/airbag on the 4 spoke steering wheels tend to deteriorate over time and you may get some random and annoying horn honking. Some owners have replaced the grommets with new ones. I chose to replace the steering wheel with a later style 3 spoke. Check the serpentine belt $35 at advance auto parts and takes about 10 minutes to replace. there is a youtube video that explains how to do this. If I can be any help PM me. I personally love the earlier cars and have had mine for 4 years. I am a DIY as you could probably tell. My car has about the same mileage as the one you are looking at.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #5

Thanks mikesz. I had the PPI completed today and the shop says the car is pretty solid and is a good example but does need a few things. It needs a motor mount, has a small oil leak(have to check the report but was not bad and was not RMS), and needs a brake service. The shop is giving me an estimate but I may do some of these things myself to save some money depending on difficulty. I offered the seller $6,500 and he thinks it's a fair price but wants to discuss with his wife first. If all goes well I'll have a Boxster soon!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:59 AM   #6

Garage
That's not bad! Between Pelican and Pedros Board the motor mount can be done. I changed mine out when I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and coolant. I had oil leak too! I replaced the spark plugs and tubes at the same time. Some of the tubes were leaking then I had Indy replace the valve cover sealant. No more oil leaks. One of the first things I did with mine was brake service, new rotors, pads, and sensors an easy DIY if you are handy. Later when I replaced the booster I changed out the fluid since I had to drain the brake fluid anyway. Good Luck! Keep us posted!
Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 AM   #7

I'm glad to hear the motor mount won't be too bad. I feel that the only thing I'll need the shop for is the oil leak. The good news is that the owner accepted my offer of $6,500 and I will be going to pick up the car at 1PM today. I'm very excited and will post up pictures later today! Thanks for all the help and advice so far guys!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

Hey guys, so I just drove the car home and I am so happy. I'm already in love with this thing and got the chance to drop the top.

She's a little dirty right now but I'll have that fixed soon. Glad to be a part of the forums and a 986 owner!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #9

Used to live in NOVA, used to have a '99. Where are you?

Not familiar with Drive European.

The long time P-car shops I knew about are listed here.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote