Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #1

Ims and clutch

Hello friends
although it is a discussion already said I need your advice to replace ims and clutch on my Boxster S.
I've seen all movies on youtube, but which recommended spare parts to choose?
many thanks in advance
Antonio

Boxter 986 S Year: 1999
alcubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

Welcome and congratulations on your English !
A few questions. Are doing this yourself or a mechanic?
Have you found a competent,honest,M96-experienced mechanic?
Before you start ,make a budget - it is a big job
Ask about "while you are in there" jobs because they are wise but add to the expense.
For example AOS, RMS, DMF(if a 5/6 speed)
For parts consider checking on EBay Germany or U.K. to do pricing.
Make sure the engine and gearbox are in perfect condition before you start - have the car checked with PIWIS or Durametric for faults.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

And use the search function here. Use IMS as your search argument. Don't believe one youtube posting. Or any single opinion.

Before doing:
1. Determine if the engine is original or a later replacement by looking at the engine serial number.
2. Inspect both the oil filter and pull the oil pan to see any debris and what kind
3. Don't order parts until 1 and 2 are done. You want to be sure the engine is in a condition to make it worth while to spend your Euros.

Last edited by mikefocke; 02-15-2017 at 07:44 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #4

Wow, crazy how much people think they can do a clutch replacement from looking youtube videos.

Probably the next guy with a car doing crazy - or no - noises soon.

Good luck and regards,

Markus

PS: Forum search function will help for shure. And get yourself a workshop manual or a good repair book for the 986 at least.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Wow, crazy how much people think they can do a clutch replacement from looking youtube videos.

Probably the next guy with a car doing crazy - or no - noises soon.
Crazy that you think a person can't. Changing the clutch in this car is ridiculously easy. Your remarks make me think that you don't have much actual mechanical experience with these cars and just regurgitate things you've read.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Crazy that you think a person can't. Changing the clutch in this car is ridiculously easy. Your remarks make me think that you don't have much actual mechanical experience with these cars and just regurgitate things you've read.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I do not know nothing about me and my car. What was my name? Can't remember. Must use the search function. Maybe i did a note somewhere in the forum. Krzrzkrkrkz…
Old 02-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Let's keep it civil guys - instead of insulting someone looking for help, let's try to actually help the member...

Alcubot - check out this DIY tech article from our site on replacing your clutch. If you have additional questions or need some specific advice, feel free to post a Comment just below the article and someone will get back to you with more details. Best of luck!

986 Clutch Replacement

-Dmitry
Dmitry at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #8

Thank you very much to all of you frinds, i've a manual 6-speed transmission.
I'll do the job with an expert mechanic, but i want to choose the correct spares with your help.
Just 3 questions:

i've read this article to determine which Bearing is Inside my Engine:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement and Upgrade (IMS) - 986 Boxster (1997-04) - 987 Boxster (2005-06)

So i assume that i've a Double Row Bearing, you confirm me?

it's a good idea (when we operate to the clutch) change only the L part in this image if the other things are ok?

http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/44-TRANS-Clutch/images_small/Pic03.jpg

I need the gasket between the engine and the transmission and the oil Cup one, is there anything in particular to be mounted?

Thank you very mutch in advice.
A.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 AM   #9

Old 02-15-2017, 02:00 AM   #10

Hello Antonio,

model years in the US are different. For example a 2017 US car is a 2016 EU car in italy.

If you have a 6-speed car, it's a Boxster S. Most Boxster S are single row. You'll have to check directly from the number on the engine. If the number is near the number Pelican lists on the web page, you'll have to disassemble and check the IMSB in the engine, because there is no 100% guarantee that the IMSB is single or double row.

If you want to replace the IMSB, make shure you have the right tools and know all specs you need.

Parts needed for the clutch replacement:

There are clutch kits from different manufacturers like Sachs, LUK, Valeo. Get a complete kit. I wouldn't recommend to only change number L, because it takes approx. 8-10 hours to change the clutch. So it's cheaper to buy a complete kit than to do the work twice.

Also check the DMF. In general these DMFs are not OK at higher mileage.

Don't understand question #3:

What gasket to you mean? The main shaft seal? If yes, an installation tool is the perfect way to install.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 02-15-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 AM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Hello. I did mine last year.

Do not use the short pivot stud that comes in a master clutch kit. It changes the engagement point of the clutch. The longer one is the correct one. It now engages right at the top of the pedal travel instead of about 1/3 up from floor.

Do the RMS while right there. Consider front engine mount and water pump.

Last edited by Timco; 02-15-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Hello. I did mine last year.

Do not use the short pivot stud that comes in a master clutch kit. It changes the engagement point of the clutch. The longer one is the correct one. It now engages right at the top of the pedal travel instead of about 1/3 up from floor.

Do the RMS while right there. Consider front engine mount and water pump.
Well done Timco - excellent tip .Imagine having to R&R just to replace that stud with the original - assuming you kept the original and figured out the problem !
Pelican should add this to their Notes on clutch kits ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 AM   #13

Thank you so mutch at all. i'll update you ASAP