Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Not screwed yet by far. It's all good man.

CPS is pretty cheap. If you can't test it, I'd still start there. Not super easy to get to. If you want to do more testing first, verify fuel pressure is present.

These are not cars to own if you can't scrounge up $2k if needed unless you can do your own testing and wrenching to make it more affordable. You may have got a great deal, but to fix anything on it it's still a Porsche all the way around.
Hey ive already replaced the cps and it was a pain , and yeah should not of bought it

Sweezy804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Apology accepted.

Things that make the car not start.

Fuel pump

You can pull the fuel pump relay and jumper it to run the pump. Search the forum for fuel pump and you'll run into it. If the pump runs scratch that off the list.

CPS - but usually fails hot and it seems you replaced it already.

Immobilizer under the drivers seat. Is it wet under the drivers seat? This is a whole new adventure if it is.

Top not working -I'm assuming the top motor is not running. Make sure the parking brake is on ( I made this mistake once). If the parking brake is pulled cycle it a couple of times to see if the top micro switch is failing.

Latch and unlatch the top a few times as well (another micro switch)

I don't understand what you mean by "the lights on so i cant get to the engine to fix it"

If it were me, I'd jumper the fuel pump next. Very common failure and easy test to run.
Ok so one day i was closing the top and it didnt go all the way to closing but i could snap it into the latch and the light stayed on, now when i try to open it sounds like it died and wont open , just to get to anything in this car is ridicoulus
Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 AM   #23
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweezy804 View Post
Hey ive already replaced the cps and it was a pain , and yeah should not of bought it
I was wrong.

There's a micro switch in the latch receiver on the windshield that needs to show top closed and light will go off. Stick your finger in there and make it click and see if it broke.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #24

Quote:
I was wrong.

There's a micro switch in the latch receiver on the windshield that needs to show top closed and light will go off. Stick your finger in there and make it click and see if it broke.
Can u send a pic?
Old 03-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #25
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Can u send a pic?
I'm glad to if I make it to my shop tomorrow. That's where my car lives in winter.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #26

Quote:
I'm glad to if I make it to my shop tomorrow. That's where my car lives in winter.
My code reader say evaporation emission control and oxygen sensor woul any of these make it not start??
Old 03-14-2017, 02:53 AM   #27
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
My code reader say evaporation emission control and oxygen sensor woul any of these make it not start??
No, those would not stop the car from starting.

To better inform folks trying to help you, you should give the year of the car, S or Base, and manual transmission or Tiptronic.

Then a complete description of what is going on when you try to start the car. For example, when I turn the key the dash lights go on, but it does not turn over when I try to start it. Or, it turns over slowly, or turns over normally.

Let the forum know everything you did, and if you are asked to double check something you should, that means someone has screwed that up before and you might have.

Everything you tell the forum is a clue that will help the forum (and you) solve the problem. for instance, I have no idea if the car stopped running on the side of the road, if it acted up but ran then stopped, or if everything was fine and then is just would not start. Those details are very important.

Additionally - if you have not checked the fuel pump relay above the fuse box, that is a very common cause for not starting. Some folks carry a spare. Search the forum on how to check it, the information is here. Checking the fuel rail pressure as suggested below will clear both the fuel pump and the relay, or point to one or the other.

I'm fairly confident if you take some time searching / reading this forum you will be able to get it started.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
No, those would not stop the car from starting.

To better inform folks trying to help you, you should give the year of the car, S or Base, and manual transmission or Tiptronic.

Then a complete description of what is going on when you try to start the car. For example, when I turn the key the dash lights go on, but it does not turn over when I try to start it. Or, it turns over slowly, or turns over normally.

Let the forum know everything you did, and if you are asked to double check something you should, that means someone has screwed that up before and you might have.

Everything you tell the forum is a clue that will help the forum (and you) solve the problem. for instance, I have no idea if the car stopped running on the side of the road, if it acted up but ran then stopped, or if everything was fine and then is just would not start. Those details are very important.

Additionally - if you have not checked the fuel pump relay above the fuse box, that is a very common cause for not starting. Some folks carry a spare. Search the forum on how to check it, the information is here. Checking the fuel rail pressure as suggested below will clear both the fuel pump and the relay, or point to one or the other.

I'm fairly confident if you take some time searching / reading this forum you will be able to get it started.
Manual and base , all i have done is replace the cps which did nothing , and does me changing it gonna mess it up in the long run?