Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Anyone running Conti DWS06 ?

My 2002 base need some new rubber this coming spring. I narrowed down my search to the Continental DWS06. I would like to read some quick reviews from folks who had few miles on them.

I dont go to the track with my car. I only use it for sunny sunday afternoon rides. Not winter driven. My goal is to replace my now bald and noisy Conti Sport Contact 2 with something that will be impressive in term of comfort and noise.

My second choice would be the MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS in the same price bracket ..so reviews on them are also welcome.

I dont want to open a debate here.... only looking for real world consummer reviews. Simply tell me how you like them on your Boxster..... Noise, handling, stability ?

Thanks in advance

here is the beast

Last edited by pomerlo; 02-09-2017 at 05:38 PM.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #2

Garage
I have the Continental extremecontact DWS06 on the rear and Sumitomo on the front. That's what was on the car when I bought it. All tires appeared to be newer with a lot of tread left so I have left them for the time being. I have put approximately 2000 miles on the car since I bought it in Sep.
To me, the front appears to have less grip. At slower speeds on a sharp turn, the front has good turn in. This is up to about 20-25mph. Anything higher than that and the front starts to skip across the blacktop. I have yet to get the rear to break away unless it is on loose gravel. I cannot say I notice any difference in road noise from the front or back. Neither brand loses air pressure more than the other.

I have driven in wet and dry, but no snow yet. Between the two, I would prefer to go with the Continental on all four corners. The rear just feels more confident than the front to me.
alex.rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #3

I recently replaced Conti Sport Contact 2 tires with Conti DWS06's. Overall I am very pleased with the tires; they are quiet, smooth, and have excellent grip. In my opinion they perform better than the Sport Contact 2 tires. Since purchasing the DWS06's I've taken 1 rode trip, to include some spirited driving, along with normal interstate and in-town use. The only negative I've noticed is after my car (2000 S) has sat for a week or so the tires seem to flat spot easily, however they always smooth out after a few miles (this is normal for most performance tires).
GoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #4

The pro assessment would be Tire Rack.Their "Spider Charts" are great imho.This shows the shortcoming (handling & dry/wet) of one vs the other::
Tire Test Results : Testing the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Ultra High Performance All-Season Tire
Tire Test Results : Testing the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Ultra High Performance All-Season Tire
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #5

Dozena of posts on he about tires...try the search function.

Other option as someone suggested is go to tire rack.com as they have tons and tons of reviews from real world driving.

If you have already decided and don't want an open debate, not sure the point of your post, unless just looking to justify a decision you have already made?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #6

I bought them based on Tire Rack recommendation. I did it to be able to use the car in winter without snow tires. So far so good with a pretty mild winter.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I have the Extreme Contact DWS06 17's on my 03 Base, and have been satisfied. They were on the car when I bought it, and I replaced the rears right away. That was about 14k miles ago, and the fronts still have plenty of tread left, as do the rears. I have nothing to compare them to, but they are quiet and seem to give good grip in the rain. I have AX'd with them, as as you would expect they can't match a summer tire. But I live in New England, and drive the car year round except in snow. They are also very reasonably priced. As indicated, Tire Rack has much good info and reviews on them and their competitors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your valuable input it helps alot.

@Giller : Your right.... My mind is almost made up to 90% the 10% left would depend on input from folks who run them already. It doesn't mean this 10% cannot cancel my choice and lean to the Michelin. I went to Tire rack before asking here..... No review with DWS06 and Boxster 986 owner over there..... uneless you can point me to one ? Yes I consider myself clever enought to search the forum before posting.... wich I did.... no post clearly answer the question I have in my OP. Most of them state how good the DWS06 are in snow.... wich obviously i'm not interested..... Just to let you know the point of my post no offense here.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

Garage
I have the DWS06's all around. Originally I had just the DWS's and that was the reason I decided to go with the updated DWS06's. They handle amazing in wet and dry weather, and last a long time. After owning the DWS's, I worked on trying to get the right tires for the front.... and since I work for a large auto parts company that wasn't too hard. I don't want to use a different tire now. I hope I can find another set when these are finished.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #10

The Michelin Pilot Sport Plus's are great.

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote