986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine bay cleaning (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65339)

marcoc 02-08-2017 07:59 AM

Engine bay cleaning

Before the spring is in full effect I would like to clean my 986 motor/engine bay. I did a ok job when I bought the car a year ago. I have invested a small fortune according to my wife on the car as to be expected when buying a 16 year old Porsche. I would like to clean the old grease,oil, dirt, etc. from under the engine and topside. My plan is to mask off the cabin with plastic sheeting and use a engine specific cleaner. I have done this on my previous cars but this time I want a really good cleaning. I also will raise the rear of the car on ramps to clean under the motor. I will not use high pressure water but more of a fine mist from my hose. I usually use Meguiars/Griots products but does anyone have any tips before I buy any products or attempt the detail? I will use an engine detail spray to freshen up the plastics nothing that leaves a greasy residue.

Deserion 02-08-2017 08:18 AM

My method:

Sprayer 1 - full-strength Simple Green
Sprayer 2 - tap water

Mist on, and then mist off (repeatedly) until clean. :)

Gelbster 02-08-2017 08:28 AM

Be careful, you may inadvertently do much more harm than good.Water + low voltage electrical=problems.
It is cleanliness inside the engine that matters.
We could give you n alternative to-do list if you want :-) ?

Luccia at Pelican Parts 02-08-2017 08:34 AM

I use Adam's In & Out Spray and a rag. I couldn't believe something as simple as this spray and a rag would do much until I tried it out. Now it's the only way I clean my engine bay. You can use it on every surface in your bay. You also avoid using any water in the engine bay that may cause problems.

In & Out Spray - 9oz - PelicanParts.com

Fintro11 02-08-2017 09:18 AM

I use spray 9 ( citrus cleaner ) and a paintbrush to loosen everything up then gently rinse with water. I go over it with 303 protectant.

Fintro11 02-08-2017 09:19 AM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1486577958.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1486577972.jpg

Gelbster 02-08-2017 03:37 PM

If your UOA matches the outside - great !

marcoc 02-08-2017 08:40 PM

So it looks like a 50/50 mix between rinsing with and without water. I have cleaned engines before and obviously your using a fine mist to rinse. Our engines are exposed to the elements for the most part so I can't see why a fine mist of water would harm anything. Its not like I will use a full jet of high pressure water on the alternator. What product do most use?

marcoc 02-08-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelbster (Post 526187)
Be careful, you may inadvertently do much more harm than good.Water + low voltage electrical=problems.
It is cleanliness inside the engine that matters.
We could give you n alternative to-do list if you want :-) ?

Ha my to do list IS getting done- IMS, RMS, Clutch/flywheel, water pump/t'stat, belt, front motor mount, air filters, spark plugs/tubes, brake fluid, coolant flush, convertible top replaced, new tires/rims, alignment, fuel filter, 997 shifter=done, and AOS when it dies as well as coolant tank if it dies. ;)

tommy583 02-09-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcoc (Post 526344)
Ha my to do list IS getting done- IMS, RMS, Clutch/flywheel, water pump/t'stat, belt, front motor mount, air filters, spark plugs/tubes, brake fluid, coolant flush, convertible top replaced, new tires/rims, alignment, fuel filter, 997 shifter=done, and AOS when it dies as well as coolant tank if it dies. ;)

Ha that looks exactly like my already done list.

Gelbster 02-09-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcoc (Post 526341)
So it looks like a 50/50 mix between rinsing with and without water. I have cleaned engines before and obviously your using a fine mist to rinse. Our engines are exposed to the elements for the most part so I can't see why a fine mist of water would harm anything. Its not like I will use a full jet of high pressure water on the alternator. What product do most use?

Because of the unusual location of the M96 and all the shielding underneath ,the many electrical connections on the top of the engine are very protected from the elements.But those electrical connections are buried under the inlet manifolds. Checking them all if the engine misbehaves after washing could take days.As we say in the biz - bring it on -it is a "Time & Cost " job so it is blank check time.
If you care to Google "washed engine problem" you may understand.
On an M96 the OCD cleanliness issue is UOA not outside shine.

marcoc 02-09-2017 08:21 AM

most of the grime is at the undercarriage which is where I will concentrate on. As far as the top of the engine near the intake manifold I will probably concentrate around the out edges not directly of the top as I cleaned that area as much as I could by hand.

Gelbster 02-09-2017 08:35 AM

Good. That will help you track down oil leaks. Most are just a nuisance but some are good to catch early- like RMS or spark plug tubes or cam covers.

jcslocum 02-10-2017 04:10 AM

I use a small home steam cleaner and simple green. A stiff paint brush to loosen up anything that doesn't want to move and then blast it off with the steamer. The steamer gives control where a water spray does not. Makes the dirt disappear!

Fintro11 05-03-2017 06:30 PM

So the last time I cleaned the engine bay was may 2015
Changed my air filter today and here is how it lookedhttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1493864955.jpg

I simply wiped it down with a cloth and a bit of quick detailer

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1493865016.jpg

Quadcammer 05-04-2017 04:05 AM

Its an ugly engine and its buried in the car. Aside from cleaning up after a major oil leak, whats really the point? Best I did was wipe with a damp microfiber

pidj 05-04-2017 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcoc (Post 526344)

Your wife will be SO happy:)
(I had the same reaction over purchasing!)

marcoc 05-04-2017 08:43 PM

A clean engine bay is easier to find leaks and other issues plus my OCD wants a "clean" engine bay.

bwdz 05-05-2017 04:32 AM

I also wash my engines. Always use simple green or any of the citrus based cleaners, a nylon brush and a rag. Never pressure wash as I don't let them build up to the point of needing that and just don't want to get water into something that it doesn't need to get into.
One thing that I hate is when people use armor all or any of the other shiny treatments afterward. All they do is give a sticky surface for dust and grime to accumulate. They make the car look like it was on a used car lot IMHO.

Fintro11 05-05-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwdz (Post 536112)
I also wash my engines. Always use simple green or any of the citrus based cleaners, a nylon brush and a rag. Never pressure wash as I don't let them build up to the point of needing that and just don't want to get water into something that it doesn't need to get into.
One thing that I hate is when people use armor all or any of the other shiny treatments afterward. All they do is give a sticky surface for dust and grime to accumulate. They make the car look like it was on a used car lot IMHO.

I used aerospace protectant, it seems to have repelled most of the dust for the last two years.