Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

Garage
2003 986S radio: FM Modulator

I’m about to pull the trigger on an FM modulator for my 2003 986S with the Bose system. This unit “iSimple IS31 Antenna Bypass FM Modulator” is one that kills the normal antenna feed to the radio when you energize it, so you don’t need to perpetually hunt to find an unused station. It’s cost effective (only $25 or so from Amazon, plus $15 for antenna adapters). Hopefully this will be an improvement over the FM broadcast from my add on XM radio, which always has to be retuned to find a blank station when driving even moderate distances.

A few questions/issues

1) I intend to use this to connect my iphone.* Mostly for podcasts. Can I place a Y cable before the modulator which would allow me to connect both the XM and my iphone to this modulator? Not to use both at the same time, of course, but to only have one interface.
2) I know I need Antenna adapters to fit American style antenna leads. I’m planning on using:
Metra 40EU30 2002-Up VW/BMW/European Vehicle Antenna Adapter Cable Kit-Add CD with FM Modulator. Anyone with more experience to tell me if these will work?
3) Does anyone know of an on/off Porsche switch (not momentary contact) that would fit one of the blanks on my dash to use to control the power to the modulator? I’d rather do that than drill into the dash to mount a switch

* I know I could have used Bluetooth, but on the iphone it’s all or nothing when using Bluetooth. As the boxster is not a quiet environment talking into a handsfree device has always been problematic.

Thanks, CB

Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote