Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

Continuing IMS Saga

I tried installing the bearing from the LN Engineering dual bearing kit and I must have got it in a bit crooked or maybe it warmed up too fast. I had put the bearing in the freezer for a couple days so it seemed good and cold. It went in about a third of the way and no more. I put a good amount of welly when hitting the tool with the mallet and it wasn't moving. I was able to get it out with the puller with little effort (the center stud had slid out of the bearing a bit when I was driving the bearing and the puller didn't require enough force to even seat the stud back in the bearing). The bearing seems to be okay and turns smooth but given that I'd given it a few good wacks trying to get it in I don't trust it. LN Engineering won't sell me a bearing, just the kit. Having spent about $1200 Cdn to get the first kit (the flange hasn't even come out of the box!), is there another source for the ceramic bearing? Should I just suck it up and give the one I have another shot? Any suggestions?
RD

CdnRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnRD View Post
I tried installing the bearing from the LN Engineering dual bearing kit and I must have got it in a bit crooked or maybe it warmed up too fast. I had put the bearing in the freezer for a couple days so it seemed good and cold. It went in about a third of the way and no more. I put a good amount of welly when hitting the tool with the mallet and it wasn't moving. I was able to get it out with the puller with little effort (the center stud had slid out of the bearing a bit when I was driving the bearing and the puller didn't require enough force to even seat the stud back in the bearing). The bearing seems to be okay and turns smooth but given that I'd given it a few good wacks trying to get it in I don't trust it. LN Engineering won't sell me a bearing, just the kit. Having spent about $1200 Cdn to get the first kit (the flange hasn't even come out of the box!), is there another source for the ceramic bearing? Should I just suck it up and give the one I have another shot? Any suggestions?
RD
The problem with the IMS retrofit is that the process of pull the bearing out potentially damages the balls, races, and cages, which is why it is never a good idea to reuse an extracted bearing, regardless of whose bearing it is.

The ceramic hybrid that LN sells is made exclusively for them to their specifications, there are no aftermarket sources for this exact bearing.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 02-13-2017 at 01:14 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote