Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Trouble Removing the IMS Flange

Hey folks!

I'm at the point of pulling the IMS flange on my 01S and I lost my nerve a bit. Everything I've read says that it should not take a whole lot of effort to get it off. I tried prying it and it came out a bit - the point I can see some of the orange seal - and then it doesn't seem to want to come out. So far I've:
- locked the crankshaft at TDC with the pin tool
- locked the passenger side exhaust cam with the cam tool
- removed the tensioners on the back side of the engine (passenger side and center)
- removed the center stud nut and three bolts for the flange

A few observations. I can turn the flange in the bore without a great deal of effort. When I try prying the flange it wants to turn a bit rather than come out. Might be just the angle I'm prying at. I pulled the green plug off of the driver's side exhaust cam and the slot is not quite straight up and down. I recall reading that this is not unusual, that even the factory manual's diagram isn't perfectly north/south.

A few questions:

Am I fretting over nothing? It may be just a matter of putting a little more effort into it.
Is there anything you see about my steps so far that looks obviously wrong?
Should I be concerned about the position of the driver's side exhaust cam?

Thanks for looking!
RD

CdnRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

Garage
Hi, you're nearly there
Use two jemmy bars or large screwdrivers at either side (eg 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock)
then with steady prying pressure applied place a piece of copper,aluminium,or hardwood on center bolt and give it a light tap with a hammer not too hard and the cover should come off. you may need a friend to help as a 3rd hand, you nod your head and he will hit it LOL.
You can easily make a puller to pull the bearing out by using the center bolt.
Regards Brian
Tweedboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:19 AM   #3

Be careful using steel pry bars on an aluminum alloy surface. The problem is not the flat part of the steel ,it is the edges.
W/o a photo of how far you've got it is difficult to advise but is there space to attach a slide hammer ? That would be much more controlled force.
Can you feel if the obstruction is a solid metal to metal one or is it just the springiness of the lips of the seal around the flange?
Hopefully you have the full set of Instructions?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #4

Like he said, slide hammer or pry it from all 3 flanges at the time.

You need to pull it out straight to have the less resistance. Prying one side at a time induces a rotational force and binds the parts together.
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #5

Looks like my problem was not applying even pressure on the pry bars. I gave it another try and it came off okay. The effort was more than I had expected but not too difficult.

CdnRD is offline   Reply With Quote