Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #1

Two more 987 service items

I just took my car to the dealer today and in addition to the problems I asked them to look at, they added on two other items that they're doing to all (I assume) incoming 987s:

W573 SERVICE ACTION-RETROFITTING STUDS FOR THE ENGINE CARRIER WITH CAPS.
W608-REPLACING AIR GRILLES IN FRONT APRON/BUMPER

I think I've seen W573 mentioned on the web before, but W608 was new to me. In this case, I'm told that the front grilles were discoloring or something and so Porsche is replacing them. Interesting!

Old 06-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #2

how many times have you been to the dealer since you first took it home?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #3

• Three times for headlight adjustments in the beginning (long story)
  • At least five times for stereo problems
  • Once for a busted transmission (replaced under warranty, not my fault)
  • Once for streaks in the rearview mirror
  • Three times for the cab top tension ropes coming loose
  • Once for busting an underbody panel on a raised "manhole cover" at a gas station
  • Numerous times for squeaks and rattles
  • Twice for rattling/resonance from exhaust
  • Twice for cosmetic defects in the hazard switch
  • Once for a flat tire
  • Once for the dealer to repair the scratch they gave the rim while replacing the tire

...and there's probably stuff I've forgotten. The combination of the above probably amounts to about ten trips to the dealer. Other than the transmission problem, nothing too major.

Doesn't bother me though, other than the repeat problems with the stereo and cab top tension ropes. If anything, the dealer gives me a rental car when I go in which saves me mileage on the Boxster. Hell, I'd probably have another 500+ miles on the car if not for the dealership trips.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #4

Yeah, maybe I have a Friday/Monday car. Or maybe the 2006's are just that much more solid.

(or, maybe I'm more anal than you!)

edit: oh and I'm glad I didn't scare you off. I'd probably still buy another one of these today. If my car ends up being a "lemon"...

Last edited by eslai; 06-20-2006 at 02:52 PM.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I just took my car to the dealer today and in addition to the problems I asked them to look at, they added on two other items that they're doing to all (I assume) incoming 987s:

W573 SERVICE ACTION-RETROFITTING STUDS FOR THE ENGINE CARRIER WITH CAPS.
W608-REPLACING AIR GRILLES IN FRONT APRON/BUMPER

I think I've seen W573 mentioned on the web before, but W608 was new to me. In this case, I'm told that the front grilles were discoloring or something and so Porsche is replacing them. Interesting!
That service action was PARTLY addressed the last time my car was at Walter's for the vibration thing. They actually didn't say anything to me (par for the course at Walter's). Here's the great kicker though - only a few days after I picked it up from Walter's I took it to Hoehn to have them investigate the vibration. They told me that Walter's PARTLY addressed the service issue but failed to replace one of the caps that incidently had wore through a hose. Did Hoehn replace it? Nope - said it was on back order from Germany - in the meantime, keep driving the car (I'm sure under their breath, also saying and if it blows up or the tires fall off or the engine falls out, blah blah blah, sucker, it's probably nothing!). Sold/traded the car 3 days later!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
That service action was PARTLY addressed the last time my car was at Walter's for the vibration thing. They actually didn't say anything to me (par for the course at Walter's). Here's the great kicker though - only a few days after I picked it up from Walter's I took it to Hoehn to have them investigate the vibration. They told me that Walter's PARTLY addressed the service issue but failed to replace one of the caps that incidently had wore through a hose. Did Hoehn replace it? Nope - said it was on back order from Germany - in the meantime, keep driving the car (I'm sure under their breath, also saying and if it blows up or the tires fall off or the engine falls out, blah blah blah, sucker, it's probably nothing!). Sold/traded the car 3 days later!
I am sorry, but I have to say something as this is getting old..

I think we all know you hate Porsche service and their cars, as every thread that says something about a problem or asks for helps involves you bashing porsche and gloating about how you sold your car and it was the best thing you ever did..... Why do you take every opportunity to tell us you hate your car. If you are soooo happy, go drive your bimmer and leave us poor soles with porches be while we push our cars down the road from one dealer to the next.

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #7

Mine was built to order too, so I think the answer to that thought is "No".
Old 06-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Boxster-MK
I am sorry, but I have to say something as this is getting old..

I think we all know you hate Porsche service and their cars, as every thread that says something about a problem or asks for helps involves you bashing porsche and gloating about how you sold your car and it was the best thing you ever did..... Why do you take every opportunity to tell us you hate your car. If you are soooo happy, go drive your bimmer and leave us poor soles with porches be while we push our cars down the road from one dealer to the next.

Mike
perhaps you jest or maybe you don't, but in the proverbial words of dan cortese's character, Tony on Seinfeld - Step off! never said i hated the car - was the hardest and most painful thing to decide to let it go. it's a forum bro - people air out their frustrations and if you haven't noticed, there's been a run on the theme of dealer and product disatisfaction. perhaps you outta learn how to read or better yet, interpret what you read - i've done no more bashing of the cars or dealers than anyone else with an on-going problem. i'd be the first, though, to step aside if i were constantly starting threads, complaining and whining. all i'm doing is sharing information and experience. sorry you're spending soooooo much time in front of your computer (rather than in your car) that my posts are annoying you soooooo much. get a girl friend or subscribe to TEN or just get over yourself!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
.... or subscribe to TEN....
I will have to research this TEN as Mach is pretty much right on about things...
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:11 AM   #10

Ok, I'll bite...what is TEN?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:14 AM   #11

I've had my 987 for about 6 months now.. it's not had a service related issue at all since I had it.. Now granted, i'm not going berzerk over things like a switch having a smudge over it I really only have 2 complaints. Some items are not engineered well (Certain hold downs like the one holding the emergency kit are flimsy and broke when I tried to open), The windscreens don't hold in well as I had one blow away..

The 2nd was a matter of dealer integrity.. up until they pulled this one on me, I thought of them as an honest dealer. From the day I got the car,I had a wierd vibration at 70mph. No matter what I did I couldn't make it go away.. The dealer rebalanced my tires thinking that was it for free so they get points for that.. BUT, eventually the 'manager' of service test drove the car on my behalf and came back to inform me that it was normal to have the vibration.. the car was giving me 'feedback' he said.. so naively I bought that answer. Recently, I bought a new set of wheels (cayman S style) and put them on the car, lo and behold the vibration is gone. My dealer gave me a stupid story to shut me up, and i've been sour about it ever since. It really dissapoints me because up to that point I felt they were great... but like the saying goes, one 'oh crap' erases ten 'atta boys'.

That being said, I still love the car like no car i've ever owned.. it's been since I was a teenager that I cared enough about my car to wash it 2 times a week Also disheartens me to hear all the complaining about OLD cars having issues and people acting like they are lemons. You'd think you buy a porsche, put the key in and it explodes the way people talk. If you choose to buy an out of warranty car that sits in the 'exotic' space, you have to expect issues (expensive ones at that). If warranty is important to you, then buy one and be comfortable.. if you choose not to then don't complain when things happen.

/b
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #12

prOk,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that washes my car twice a week !
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:53 AM   #13
bmussatti

Eslai, or someone else, could you please post all of the known 987 Service Issues or TSB's in one spot (in this thread would be great! ) for future refference. Thanks.

I think some of the others were a tool kit and clamps on the exhaust tip.

Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by prOk
Now granted, i'm not going berzerk over things like a switch having a smudge over it
Heh, well it's not like I took it to the dealer just for that. I let them take care of that in conjunction with other things. The hazard switch on my car was weird--it had little bits of clear sections that would show red light through them where it wasn't supposed to--so not only would the hazard triangle show up red, you'd get all this weird "static" in red in little spots here and there also.

I didn't even notice it for months because I'd never pressed that switch before, then one of my friends is poking at everything one day and there it was.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Eslai, or someone else, could you please post all of the known 987 Service Issues or TSB's in one spot (in this thread would be great! ) for future refference. Thanks.

I think some of the others were a tool kit and clamps on the exhaust tip.

Thanks again!

Okay, so here's all the ones I know of:

W566 - Adding convertible top emergency tool to the vehicle tool kit
W573 - Service Action - retrofitting studs for the engine carrier with caps
W574 - Installing washers on exhaust system bracket clamps
W608 - Replacing Air Grilles in front apron/bumper