Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Thinking about replacing Rear Track Arms and Lower Control Arms

Is this a relatively straight forward effort or a weekend burning knuckle busting nightmare? I have already been through the reservoir replacement torture and the AOS fun, replaced the motor mount and transmission mounts. I plan to get the special tool to remove the ball joint from the carriers and use the upgraded track arms and control arms from European Parts Solution. I'd appreciate any experiences and lessons learned. I have a 2001 Boxster S with 90,000 on the odometer. The shop that installed new axles commented that these should be replaced.

brybart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #2

Track arms are not hard at all, especially if you have an impact wrench. I'd put it at about 30 minutes per side after taking the tire off.

Lower control arms are not terrible, Just got to get the hub out of the control arm and remove the inboard nut and bolt. I may be trivializing a bit but at the end of the day its just a few nuts and bolts.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #3

Lower track arms

Or control arms, the arms that go from the body to the rear of the back hubs are a breeze
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybart View Post
Is this a relatively straight forward effort or a weekend burning knuckle busting nightmare? I have already been through the reservoir replacement torture and the AOS fun, replaced the motor mount and transmission mounts. I plan to get the special tool to remove the ball joint from the carriers and use the upgraded track arms and control arms from European Parts Solution. I'd appreciate any experiences and lessons learned. I have a 2001 Boxster S with 90,000 on the odometer. The shop that installed new axles commented that these should be replaced.
This may help you get planning for specific tools,parts and techniques:
Porsche Boxster Front/Rear Suspension Overhaul - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:50 AM   #5

Have you checked for yourself that they need replacing? 90k is a little early for the control arm to be going bad. Not saying it can't happen though. I guess it depends on the roads you drive it on. Track arms are another story. Those things seem to be capable of dying an early death. My 55k boxster has a bad one.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #6

I'm not sure what EPS does on the lower control arms but the poly bushing they put on the track arms is a downgrade from the OEM monoball in my opinion, and under hard driving the poly bushing could allow caster changes in the wheel that the monoball doesn't allow.

I'm running Meyle LCA in the backs, and trw trailing arms, you can get them.from amazon for very affordable.

Getting the ball joint loose on my old lca was a pain, had to use a pickle fork and hammer. Trailing arms were a breeze

Last edited by steved0x; 01-21-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo, changed faster to caster
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

Thanks for the insight Steve.
Pity about the EPS product.It seemed promising but there is nothing like an actual,trustworthy field test report !
986 Boxster
http://www.epscontrolarms.com/new-products/upgraded-lower-control-arm-w-ball-joint-front
http://www.epscontrolarms.com/986-rear-track-arm

Last edited by Gelbster; 01-21-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Thanks for the insight Steve.
Pity about the EPS product.It seemed promising but there is nothing like an actual,trustworthy field test report !
986 Boxster
B & D on that link look very nice, with the replaceable ball joint, I would have no hesitation using those, but they are kind of steep at almost $300 each. That particular joint doesn't wear out that often though, so the ~$100 Meyle lca seem good enough to me
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #9

Thanks for the great feedback, I'll most likely go with the Meyle LCA and TRW track arms, have to keep the budget controlled for the big boss

brybart is offline   Reply With Quote