Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

cannot open frunk/tunk/gas door. details inside.

Ok, I had an incident with the CLU a while back. It got wet, I managed to get it cleaned up and with a little effort managed to get my car running again and almost everything working fine.

However,since this incident, the only things that haven't "fixed themselves" is the frunk/trunk cannot be opened with the levers inside of the car (have to use cable in front and keyfob in rear) I also have to use the manual cable to open the gas door.

Does anyone have enough experience with this to not throw darts at the situation or alternative ideas to it just being a "CLU failure?"

Is there some magic sequence of button pushes / key turns that reset this system? A fuse?

I can lock/unlock the car with the fob. I can drive the car, the top works fine (though is needing replacement soon), the windows work fine.

This is an annoying problem, and I'm hoping someone has an answer that doesn't include "new clu" -- that's a hell of an investment to make a couple levers work, and it really is a shame the CLU is located in the absolute worst place you could put anything important in a convertible .

hazardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #2

Water got into the Trunk /Frunk button console on the door threshold ? Dismantle and clean/repalce switches?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
All 3 are tied together in the immobilizer. It could be a bad relay in the immobilizer if you want to open it up and trace the wires to the correct one. Otherwise, follow my instructions below.

Locate the following 2 wires at the immobilizer connector:
Blue wire with green stripe and red bands.
Blue wire with yellow stripe and red bands.

These two wires control the 3 bipolar lock actuators. Cut them both about 4-6 inches back from the connector in case you need to splice them back later.
Strip the insulation from both wires on the car side (not the wires coming from the immobilizer connector) and connect one to ground and the other to 12V +. If they don't unlock, reverse the wires and they will unlock (one polarity locks them, the other unlocks them...not sure which is which, but it won't hurt anything). Disconnect both wires and tape them off to insulate. Locks will stay unlocked from this point on.

The best thing to do would be to trace the wires to the corresponding pins on the circuit board, then trace back to the correct relay(s). Open the relay(s) (this can often be done without removing it from the board) and check the contacts for corrosion and check all moving parts for rust/corrosion.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:13 AM   #4

I like the permanent solution, but still leaves the gas door.

i have a digram for the CLU on one of my computers... Need to start saving document to the NAS.
hazardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The fuel door and lever locks are all on the same circuit.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote